This thread is privately moderated by mike_kelly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 31, 2016, 03:39 AM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Discussion

Daya H4 680 Alien quadcopter with Tarot TL2954 4006-320kv motors

My last project was a H4 680 folding quad. I really like this frame, available in a variety of slightly different versions, because it is light weight and folds into a small package. It commonly yields builds where users are getting 30 minutes of flight time. It has a more logical main box that is rectangular and seems easier to mount typical electronics than the popular frames out there with circular main plates. I built the "two clamp" version and I was very satisfied with the build.

But Daya has just released a new version of this popular frame. In my opinion they have improved many of the features and fixed weak spots in the previous versions.

Even though it is a 680mm frame it folds smaller than the previous versions. The frame is shorter but the center box is wider making it even easier to get the electronics needed inside.

The clamps in the old version, exactly like the clamps used by Tarot in the 650 and 680 frames, are a weak point for arms stiffness and the transmission of vibrations from the motors down the arms. The newer version used two clamps on the arms to reduce the flex. But the clamps can break and are a little difficult to snap the arm in and out of the frame.

The new Daya clamp is a real improvement in my eyes. It has an aluminum threaded collar that unthreads to fold. It is rigid and light when tightened.

The new metal motor mounts allow the use of larger diameter pancake motors without hitting the frame when folding because they are offset above the frame.

One of the real benefits of the original version was the light weight. Every gram counts. The original H4 680 single clamp version came in under 500g for the frame and landing gear with the double clamp version under 550g.
The Daya version with all the packaging looks like 580g without landing gear and 650gs with landing gear. I hope the new features are worth the extra weight since it translates into a couple of minutes of lost flight time.

The landing gear on the original had thumb screws to quickly remove the landing gear for transport but the Daya version thoughtfully has folding gear.

I really like the battery tray provided by Daya which allows the battery to be adjusted forward and back to balance the weight of the gimbal up front.

The instruction sheets are typical but it appears that the Daya H4 680 is designed to handle multiple ways to mount a gimbal. First, it looks like you can use Tarot clamps and 10mm carbon tubing to use Tarot's butterfly clamps to hang a gimbal.

They appear to be designed to attach inside the frame with the tubes protruding out the front for a forward gimbal mount position.

I personally don't like mounting a gimbal like this because I think it is more prone to prop wash vibration. I like mounting gimbals under the frame where it is more protected. Daya accommodates me as well by providing two mounting arms under the frame that have a plate bolted to them to allow attachment of a gimbal under the frame.

As seen in this video:
UAVS DAYA達亞H4 680 (2 min 8 sec)

One feature I always liked about the original frames were the box side supports that made the frame more rigid. Daya has extended this idea around the perimeter of the main frame box.

In my first H4 680 build I chose T-Motor 4006-380kv motors because they are so light at 66g. Usually you sacrifice heat disapassion for light weight in brushless motors but T-motor uses active cooling to get rid of the heat even though they have trimmed down the metal to lighten the motors. But they are expensive at roughly $75 each.

In this build I think I will try the new Tarot 4006-320kv Tl2954 at 71g. It has similar specifications and my eCalc estimates show it will be a similar performer but is available for around $40 a copy, a significant savings.

In conclusion I think Daya has done an admirable job at taking a good design and making it even better by paying close attention to every detail. It seems to be currently available from only Thanksbuyer but I am sure it will show up in all the usual vendors soon.
Last edited by mike_kelly; Sep 01, 2016 at 09:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2016, 09:08 PM
Great review. Thanks
Oct 01, 2016, 08:29 AM
Kind of Heavy frame 650g for 680mm frame. But I love the motor mounts, I was about to manufacture a vary similar one, but solid (no screws)
Oct 01, 2016, 08:30 AM
is 15" Prop over frame less than on your older original frame?
Oct 01, 2016, 09:34 AM
can you also measure a distance from your motor centre hub to the frame edge, wonder if it can accommodate 15" better than original frame (thought the clearance above frame will definitely help it)

I want those motor mounts on original to put 17" folding props
Oct 01, 2016, 11:22 AM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoodog
Kind of Heavy frame 650g for 680mm frame. But I love the motor mounts, I was about to manufacture a vary similar one, but solid (no screws)
Certainly heavier than original but compared to say the Tarot 650s at 755g it is lighter.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
Oct 01, 2016, 11:23 AM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Quote:
is 15" Prop over frame less than on your older original frame?
You want to know the overlap with the frame with 15" props?
Oct 01, 2016, 11:38 AM
Mike,
I have ordered the Daya frame. They were actually out of stock, so there will be a delay. How about showing more about your build, esc placement etc. and any mods you might have made?
Thanks
Oct 01, 2016, 11:47 AM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
14" Original

15" Original

16" Original

17" Original

15" Daya

16" Daya

17" Daya
Oct 01, 2016, 12:01 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxsti
Mike,
I have ordered the Daya frame. They were actually out of stock, so there will be a delay. How about showing more about your build, esc placement etc. and any mods you might have made?
Thanks
I am working on my re-build of my Tarot 680Pro Hybrid right now. My new mantra is "easy repairability". So I will never mount anything inside a frame that takes 15 screws to get at or unsoldering half the wires.

So I will be mounting the ESC 's on the Daya motor mounts for easy access and good cooling just like I did on the H4 original. I will mount the PDB/PM under the frame as I did on the last H4 build. This way I can access and unsolder ESC's wires for replacement without taking apart the frame. I will mount the FC on top as I did on the H4 build so I have easy access. Again I don't want anything inside that I must take apart the whole frame if a module fails.

I have accepted that the parts we use are not QC very well and we may get bad parts. I took apart my blackout mini H 7 times down to bare and I am never doing that again.

I must recommend Hobbywing Xrotor ESC"s. I have had at least 5 other brands of ESC's fail, on different aircraft, during the maidan flight. But never a Hobywing xrotor.
Oct 01, 2016, 07:18 PM
Thanks! Seams like the over lap is significantly larger than with original frame, that is sad

Thanks for the photos!
Oct 01, 2016, 09:38 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks! Seams like the over lap is significantly larger than with original frame, that is sad

Thanks for the photos!
Remember that the Daya frame is wider and not as long so it can fold into a smaller package. I would say there is not a lot of difference in overlap.
Oct 28, 2016, 05:53 PM
Any further progress on this build?
I'm just waiting for the frame to get back in stock to order one
Oct 30, 2016, 02:06 AM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Been out of town for a month. Looks like it will be a winter project.
Nov 02, 2016, 09:40 AM
Hi Mike,
I have 4 Tarot 4114 320 KV motors. Can I use them with 17 inch props on this frame?

Quick Reply