Nov 10, 2004, 05:12 PM
Gave Bill Davis a call on Monday. He set me strait on some pellet formulas as well as how to preserve the pellets after making them so they dont go bad.
Of course below is the end result of my phone call with Bill Davis got some fuse and gaskets from him as well. He didnt have any fuel pellets.
But I managed to track down some Jetex fuel pellets from some other sources.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2004, 04:26 PM
I've added a few video clips (WMV format) and some new pics to

http://www.jetexsystems.pwp.blueyond...etex_home.html
Dec 03, 2004, 01:27 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryk
Agreed the thrust profiles shown for model rocketry are acheived through 'core' burning and getting high combustion chamber pressures. By sticking with 'end' burning and relativly large nozzle diameters relativly low thrust, long duration can be acheived.

I've flown several models using KNO3 and frucose propellants. I modified Jet-X 50 and 100 sized motors. The mix was 40% Frucose 60% KNO3 with the nozzle of the 100 opened to 3.5mm.
Thrust and duration was comparable to Jetex. I intend to post detailed notes on:
http://www.jetexsystems.pwp.blueyond...etex_home.html

when I get chance to take some decent pictures.
Terry, doesn't the use of an inorganic oxidiser (KNO3) lead to higher non-volatile residues and consequent nozzle blocking? (The residue is likely to be quite alkaline as well and dodgy with any aluminium parts). The gauze should filter some but that'd soon get blocked too. The original Jetex used an organic (guanidine) base which should have burnt cleaner, in theory
Last edited by martin richards; Dec 03, 2004 at 06:52 AM.
Dec 03, 2004, 11:19 AM
Over on Jet-x-press:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jet-Ex...guid=163309757

you'll find a great debate in progress about all kinds of other alternative Jetex fuels.

Regarding KNO3 and Frucose, there is residue but I drill the nozzle out and dispense with the gauze, the gauze serves to aid combustion with traditional fuel, its not needed for my purposes.

For a 100 size motor I drill the nozzle out to 3.5mm, it doesn't block and the motors clean up well and easily under the hot tap.
Jan 06, 2007, 03:09 PM
Intermediate Multi

Jetex 50R (aka 50HT in the US)

I've got an old Jetex 50T left over from the '70s. I tried removing the 'cap' but it's rusted in place. Do you think I can get this motor to work again or is it junk?

Tom
Jan 06, 2007, 03:46 PM
It'll work again when you get the cap off. If at first you don't succeed, try try again.
Jan 06, 2007, 03:51 PM
Intermediate Multi
If I squeeze any harder, I'll damage the motor. I read that phosphoric acid dissolves rust. I may have to soak in that overnight. I've only got enough pellets left for 5 1/2 flights anyway. After that, who knows.

Tom
Jan 07, 2007, 04:55 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
I'd clean it up then sell the motor on eBay (they bring good prices) and with the proceeds buy some Rapier motors and go do some flying ... The Jetex 50 HT (which is what you have in the photo) was intended for model rocketry and therefore has a high thrust / short duration burn which is not suited to conventional model aircraft anyway.

Steve
Jan 07, 2007, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
If I squeeze any harder, I'll damage the motor. I read that phosphoric acid dissolves rust. I may have to soak in that overnight. I've only got enough pellets left for 5 1/2 flights anyway. After that, who knows.

Tom
Phosphoric acid will eat the rust away for sure. Over the years I have restored a few old cars and it brings them back to metal, but you get a few holes too where the rust is bad.
You could try lemon juice too, or just maybe do as Jetplaneflyer says.
Dec 30, 2019, 09:24 AM
Hello, first of all I would like to apologize for digging up the topic from over 15 years.
I am a manufacturer of model rocket engines from Poland, I wanted to introduce modelers from the USA (and not only) one of my products that may interest you. It's about "Rapier" engines. So far, the smallest L1 engines are prepared.
TSP "Rapier" modelar motor L1 mov (0 min 20 sec)
Jan 04, 2020, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSP_Poland
Hello, first of all I would like to apologize for digging up the topic from over 15 years.
I am a manufacturer of model rocket engines from Poland, I wanted to introduce modelers from the USA (and not only) one of my products that may interest you. It's about "Rapier" engines. So far, the smallest L1 engines are prepared.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMGYQicSSFk
Great stuff, more news please.
Jan 09, 2020, 11:54 AM
Thanks to the persuasion of my European colleagues, I have been thinking about producing "Rapier" engines for some time.
So I decided to set up a topic in this forum.
I started by preparing the smallest L1 class engines, below I send a diagram of the L1 engine and a link to the video on youtube.
I hope that my fellow US modelers will be interested in my products.
Soon, the offer of "Rapier" drives will be expanded to include more powerful units.
I give technical parameters of the offered L1 drive.
Diameter 10mm
Leght 35mm
Full weight 4.6g
Empty weight 1.6g
mid. 0.045N pulse
TSP "Rapier" modelar motor L1 mov (0 min 20 sec)

If you have any questions, please contact us at: kobrarybnik85@gmail.com
Jan 09, 2020, 11:55 AM
Another good product is available.
This is the "Rapier" L4 with a long work cycle.

burn time 27sec.
full weight 21g
empty weight 8,5g.
diameter 15mm
leght 80mm
total imp. 12Ns
medimum imp. 0,42N

TSP "Rapier" modelar motor L4 27sec. (0 min 34 sec)

It is the strongest "Rapier" type unit currently in production plans.
Soon more intermediate powers of "Rapier" L type Drives.
Best regards,
Piotr

ps.
Engine work chart, unfortunately, not full.
The software of my workshop at this moment does not have the measurement function for more than 20 seconds.
But new software is being prepared.
Jan 09, 2020, 01:15 PM
Pictures.
Jan 09, 2020, 04:33 PM
These look very promising indeed. I can see these doing very well with the F/F Jetex community in the UK.

I have a quantity of electrical igniters that will work with these...

And just to get you in the mood,

21lightning (0 min 40 sec)

22crossley (0 min 51 sec)
Last edited by terryk; Jan 09, 2020 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply