Aug 29, 2016, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

1/4 SCALE Edge 540 phoenix Models 68" - setting CG

Hello all!

So I need some help. I recently built this 1/4 scale Edge 540 from phoenix models and custom fitted the DLE 20CC gasoline engine to it.

I went step by step through the manual to get everything installed correctly. Now i am at the CG and Lateral CG setting.

The instructions say to mark CG closest to the fuselage 145MM from leading edge of wing. and Turn the model upside down and put the model on the balance stand to get CG. I do this and it balances correctly. Nearly perfectly.

So I went to my Local field were I'm a member of and some of the veteran RC pilots out there told me my CG was too tail heavy.

We each grabbed a tip of the wing while it was right side up and the tail dropped. I told them the instructions said to balance the model upside down on the marks near the fuselage not the wing tips right side up. They told me it should balance the same right side up vs. upside down at fuse.

So I'm up to 12oz of lead weight right side up and it will not balance at the wing tips. I can take all the weight off and turn upside down with my fingers on the cg marks per instructions and its nearly perfect.

What do I do?

Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2020, 06:20 PM
How did you make out with the CG Lyvewire? I’m just starting my build with an OS .91 FX and already was told to ditch the 2 tail servos in favor of a. Mid tray mounting. I fly. Sport not 3D and want a hands off straight and level maiden. Can you advise? Thx.
Mar 24, 2020, 10:28 AM
Wow, 12oz. Weight. That’s huge! Have you remedied this issue? I’m building with a lightweight OS.91 upfront hoping to avoid adding massive weight.
Mar 24, 2020, 10:30 AM
BTW: Iím planning to move the rear servos to the center section.
Mar 24, 2020, 11:18 PM
lost in the addiction of flyin
I have one of these with a dle-20 on it. After a very low inverted pass I am working on some minor repairs. While doing them I decided to change a few things to reduce weights. I so far have gutted and drilled any former I could, installed pull pull rudder and did a singular elevator servo. Soon as i get my new ign pick up I will see how much better it fly's. Set your cg upside down and at front point. Fly it and try it.
Mar 25, 2020, 12:15 AM

Phoenix Edge 540

Thanks for the info. My OS.91 is much lighter than a gasser. I thought of modifying the rudder/elevator servo location to mid fuselage but it would require very long pushrods, supports, formers, etc. A real hassle. Iíll put a 6V RX battery pack way up in the engine box along with a heavy hub prop nut and see what the balance comes out to.
Jul 08, 2020, 01:12 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Plane flew equally as good as some of my extreme flight or skywing planes for one glorious flight. ....... wing bolt wasn't properly tightened by your truly. Hard to control after one wing rotates in flight.

Oh well.
Jul 18, 2020, 09:57 AM

1/4 SCALE Edge 540 phoenix Models 68" - setting CG

I had a weird CG experience with mine on the Phoenix Spitfire 30cc. I balanced ďtits-upĒ as instructed by Phoenix on a Hobbico Balancer. With an NGH 35cc motor it was perfect, no added weight an flew very well. After a crash with a DLE 35 on it needed 22 ounces of weight in the nose. The motors were only 2 ounces different. This has me totally freaked out. Never seen anything like it. Now Iím just have total fear of flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by meowguy; Jul 18, 2020 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply