Cl-i-max Models Machete - RC Groups
Sep 08, 2004, 01:24 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.

Cl-i-max Models Machete

I emailed David at Cl-i-max Models to inquire about the flying wing that he's had in development for a while. I liked the look of it, so I was wondering what was up with the kit. Turns out the design is done, he just needs to finish the manual. He sold me one sans manual. I have built it and flown it now. Here are some details and pix.

Building is just basic laser cut kit construction. Tab and hole and slot cutting made the model fit together without plans, I didn't even have many building pix to go by. There were only 4 parts that I couldn't find the place for, and David sent me a pic to see where those went.

Radio components:
GWS R4P Rx
2×GWS Pico servos
Castle Creations Phoenix 10
Feigao 1208436 12mm brushless
GWS IPS-A gearbox
GWS RS 7×6 prop

Final weight without batteries: 5.1oz

I planned to use my old Kokam 1020 2S batteries, but have also decided to use my Etec 700 3S packs as well. I will probably usually fly it with the 3S's.

Pix:
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2004, 01:25 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
Ok... Maiden flight tonight...

First: Kokam 1020 2S. Flew well right out of the hand with a little trimming needed. The balance was just a little back from the back of the servos. I like neutral balance on my planes, and this was still a little nose heavy for that. Had good speed and was able to gently climb with full power. This is a good setup for small area lazy flying. I would recommend an 8×6 prop for just a little more oomph in the climb. Landing was very gentle into the grass at our field. The plane slows down very nicely with full control.

Second: I was looking at another battery while at work today and decided to give it a try. Etec 700 3S. I was able to get 3.5A with the same gearbox on a 7×6, which is well within the safety range on the batteries, but a little high for the motor. Just needed to use a little restraint with the throttle. This really woke the plane up. I was able to fly extended vertical lines. I really like this setup, I just need to get the balance a little farther back and this will be the rockin setup, as far as I am concerned. Keeps the plane light as far as floating goes, but will let you turn up the heat and really show what a wing can do.

Mike
Sep 08, 2004, 05:49 AM
Question: would you recommend using fiego as a direct drive on this model???
Sep 08, 2004, 10:51 AM
Looks very nice! If i's half as good as David's Wasp design, it'll be a keeper! I've been flying my wasp for a year now, and I still get all kinds of questions every time I take it to the field, not to stray off your topic. I was using an etec 700 3S on the IPS-A, and I got approx. 15 HOURS of runtime on that setup before I burned the motor (and even then, I burned the motor running 3S and 9070RS prop). This draws about 2.5 amps on the stock IPS motor, but I just now realized you are using the feigao BL motor, hence 3.5 amps on 2S. So never mind my prop advice in your case, but it may be of use to brushed motor users.
Sep 08, 2004, 12:01 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
ed_khan : I don't know what kind of thrust and speed numbers the motor can do DD. If you keep the build light, it may work. I like the higher effeciency of the geared version with the larger prop. Those little props just don't have the thrust that I like for big vertical lines without getting them really screaming.

Matt : Actually, on 2S I was getting under 2A current draws with the 7×6, it was right at 2A with the 8×6. On 3S with the 7×6 it was up at 3.5A. From the other threads on this motor, at 3A the motor will run indefinately. At 4A the gearbox melted for the guy testing it.

As far as getting attention, there were 2 guys at the field when I got there. One was flying a Mountain Models Smooth-E and the other had a Zagi 400X and a 40 size Super Stick, with wet power. They both came over to see what I had.

Mike
Sep 08, 2004, 12:09 PM
Nice looking wing. Good to see a non-foamy wing come out.
Sep 08, 2004, 04:11 PM
BEC
BEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTChip
Nice looking wing. Good to see a non-foamy wing come out.
Not to divert the thread but.... don't forget Todd's Wing-E....
Sep 08, 2004, 05:05 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
Agreed BEC. Thats another really nice flying wing. Good slow flight characteristics, but the Machete has it as far as aerobatics are concerned. The Machete is a fully symetrical wing, where the Wing-E is flat bottomed. The inverted will be better after I get the balance point sorted out.

Mike
Sep 08, 2004, 10:37 PM
How am I not myself?
Very nice Machete, Smash!
What are the specs of the Machete? I did not find them on his site.

Thanks,
Samuel
Last edited by Park_Pilot; Sep 08, 2004 at 10:39 PM.
Sep 09, 2004, 11:52 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
Its about 31" span with 195in˛ area.

According to David, its a 15% fully symetrical foil, and it looks like it to me.

Mike
Last edited by Smash McCrash; Sep 09, 2004 at 11:55 AM.
Sep 09, 2004, 12:23 PM
How am I not myself?
I could not agree more with you LTChip! I was always hesitant to buy a wing because I perfer balsa over foam. Now with the Machete coming out, I find myself forced to buy one!

Mike,
Do you think that it is stable enough for a first wing?

Looking forward for more flight reports.

Samuel
Sep 09, 2004, 04:29 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
With the balance point where he suggests it, the plane is very stable. If you have aileron experience this would probably be a good plane. He has a couple of video's up on his site that you can watch. He's asked me for a video, and I am going to see if I can get one going, but I don't have a digital video recorder.

Mike
Sep 09, 2004, 07:00 PM
How am I not myself?
That's it. Couldn't resist any longer. Mine is on its way!
Thanks Mike to have brought this nice model to my attention.

I will try to borrow a digital camera to take pics during the building process...

Samuel
Last edited by Park_Pilot; Nov 20, 2004 at 03:17 PM.
Sep 09, 2004, 09:58 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Nice job Smash. I built a -very- early kit (I think it was the 2nd one after Dave's) of this some time ago, seems like a year maybe? Dave was still working the bugs out. We compared notes and tried a few things that resulted in him adding the extensions at the ends of the elevons. You'd be amazed at how different it flies without those (not as stable). I flew mine on a few different geared DX motors, I bet it flies quite nicely on your BL setup. I've still got mine and can attest to its durability, during the testing phase I smacked it in really hard a couple of times (had a wicked tip stall tendency before the extensions were added). Repairs were quick and painless. It's not really heavy enough to hit hard enough to destroy it. The interlocking construction makes it a quick build too.

PS- hey everyone!
Sep 09, 2004, 10:45 PM
Crash Master
Hey Tres... Long time ago, huh?

I beta'd the Machete along with Tres, and still have mine. Haven't flown it in a while, but now with a decent CDR motor.....

Yes, those extended elevons made all the difference in the world. I was flying mine on a IPS-2S and an 8x6 as I recall...

Pictures before and after the elevon extensions...