Sep 19, 2021, 12:28 PM
I donít land, I arrive!
Jolly Roger, what size axles did you get from Dubro? Just in case I can find somebody in the EU who stocks them!!
In the meantime, it’ll probably have to be a suitable bolt!
Ok, answered my own question, I found a place in Germany! Will still see what’s available locally first though!
Last edited by Philosan1; Sep 19, 2021 at 01:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2021, 07:06 PM
What I have on the Beaver right now are 3/16". They are perfect for that size of plane and wheels.
What I bought were 1/4" axles and they're big. The threaded portion may be a bit tight fit on the landing gear so I'm going to stay with the 3/16"
Right now I have the Dubro 4 1/4" rounds ....look like Tundra tires.
Oct 02, 2021, 01:19 PM
Almost a year it as been since my purchase ,,,
The Maiden as been done on the Beaver this week ,,, on a overcast clouds and rain day !

One word I can say ,, its a fantastic flying machine ...
Include in Photographies ,, is my mentor Beaver beside my ...
Oct 02, 2021, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1TANGO
Almost a year it as been since my purchase ,,,
The Maiden as been done on the Beaver this week ,,, on a overcast clouds and rain day !

One word I can say ,, its a fantastic flying machine ...
Include in Photographies ,, is my mentor Beaver beside my ...
Just gorgeous what youve done with it. I really love the white paint-it is very noticeable.

Does anyone have any advice for sliding the wings on and off more easily on the carbon rod. The more I use the plane the tougher it's getting instead of easier. Almost like something has scuffed the rod and tube and something is rough and hanging up. Anyone recommend a lube of maybe I should do some sanding?

Am I the only one with this problem?
Oct 03, 2021, 07:26 AM
Thank-you spitfirejoe
for your always nice comments about my work ...

Me too I find it hard to join the wings with that carbon fiber rod ,,,
but I am just starting using my Beaver . Maybe this product is the solution
as it mention that it does'nt collect dust ...

I have not try this product on the carbon fiber rod ,, so if you go for it you will be the first one.

Hob-E-Lube HL651 DRY GRAPHITE
with MOLYBDENUM
Oct 03, 2021, 07:35 AM
For my wings protection

while in transport or storage , I have made the use
of those car front windshield sun deflector that you can purchase
at the dollar store ... They are cheap to purchse and they do the job.

You can apply something smoot & gentle inside them to protect your
top wings so it does'nt scratch them while you insert them in ...

I made also the use of velcro to close each end ,,, and tape them to the deflectors.
Oct 07, 2021, 04:34 AM

The Beaver chases the surf

The surf coasts of Victoria are some of the best beaches in Australia and what better to visit them by air. This time we are at Barwon Heads flying the 2m Beaver with plenty of camera angles, take off & landings for you to enjoy.

FMS BEAVER - CHASING THE TIDES - Multi Camera (9 min 36 sec)
Oct 15, 2021, 06:58 PM
What a flying machine ...
If you love the Beaver ,,, go for it ...
Oct 16, 2021, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Thank-you spitfirejoe
for your always nice comments about my work ...

Me too I find it hard to join the wings with that carbon fiber rod ,,,
but I am just starting using my Beaver . Maybe this product is the solution
as it mention that it does'nt collect dust ...

I have not try this product on the carbon fiber rod ,, so if you go for it you will be the first one.

Hob-E-Lube HL651 DRY GRAPHITE
with MOLYBDENUM
I have to try something because I went to install the wings in my basement to start work on gloss coating before this winter and it is even harder now to slide the tube through the fuselage! I plan to fly this baby a lot on floats this winter but it will be going with at least 1 other plane and I need this wing process to be way easier and smoother! It is to the point I may damage wings trying to force them on and i am making finger dents from squeezing.

I know something is wrong likely burs or something inside the fuselage tube is scuffing. I have read many places to never sand the cf rods so I am stuck trying lube. I so far used a spray that is safe for foam/rubber/plastics but it didnt help and I am worried it will collect dust and make things worse....
Oct 16, 2021, 07:06 AM
Spitfirejoe ,,,
have you try connect your wings with out the wing strut ...

is it harder when your wing is almost near connecting to the fuse ?
or it is hard from the start as you join your tube in the wing ...

have you try blow compress air in ... to get what could make the friction in the wing ...
Oct 16, 2021, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Spitfirejoe ,,,
have you try connect your wings with out the wing strut ...

is it harder when your wing is almost near connecting to the fuse ?
or it is hard from the start as you join your tube in the wing ...

have you try blow compress air in ... to get what could make the friction in the wing ...
Yes I thought of that, the wings go on easily without the rod. The white mounts with the screw slots go in nice and easy. It is the rod that is extremely tight and tough to slide in and out and adjust into each wing. I started to travel with both wings off in bags and the rod slid out to one side but still in the fuselage so I wouldnt leave it behind by accident at home or field. The rod is almost impossible to move with twisting through fuselage and to get the wings on takes way too much force!

Yes I think I better try to work on the holes in the fuselage and wings because I dont want to weaken the rod or compromise it by sanding.
Oct 16, 2021, 11:39 AM
I understand ,,, you've try pretty much everything ..
if I can propose some kind of a MAYBE solution to your problem ,,,

would be to find a wood dowel that would be of the same CF rod diameter size
and to cut it to fit the same as your already CF rod ,,, and with that wood dowel
rod you could sand it to your desire shape size ,, then try it to see if it does
better ...

you can find does larger wood dowel in store in the curteen aera and some time
with a variety of size even at hardware store too I think ... its is worth trying from my point of view ...
Oct 17, 2021, 04:36 AM
Quote:
I understand ,,, you've try pretty much everything ..
if I can propose some kind of a MAYBE solution to your problem ,,,

would be to find a wood dowel that would be of the same CF rod diameter size
and to cut it to fit the same as your already CF rod ,,, and with that wood dowel
rod you could sand it to your desire shape size ,, then try it to see if it does
better ...

you can find does larger wood dowel in store in the curteen aera and some time
with a variety of size even at hardware store too I think ... its is worth trying from my point of view ...
That's a good idea, I just have to be sure the wood does as good a job at supporting the wings. I suppose it should be as strong or even better. With this plane i dont have to worry about weight so a good hardwood dowel, why not?

I'm going to look into this thanks for the idea!
Meantime I lubricated with something called fluid film. It has natural oils from sheeps wool I think and says it won't harm or degrade plastics and foam and things. So far it is helping and the rod moves a bit more easily. I am worried about out in cold sub zero temps or if the stuff turns sticky and makes it worse with dust. This big plane is so wonderful to fly but I love the simplicity of my 1.5m and smaller planes to just pop in a battery and fly!
Oct 17, 2021, 07:18 AM
I hope that solution with the wood dowel work for you ...

Here is a little detail I have add to my Beaver.
2 Handles over the windshield ...
Oct 19, 2021, 06:58 AM
Fall season with the Beaver ...

Quick Reply