Heli Professional SOXOS 550

The newest release from HP is the SOXOS 550, and it looks to be an economical version of the 600-800.

Splash

The mid sized 550 is a great compromise of a smaller helicopter with the performance of a larger bird.

Heli-Professional has been increasing in popularity over the past few years with the addition of some top level pilots and of course the reason for this is because they have been putting out some top quality machines.

The newest release from HP is the SOXOS 550, and it looks to be an economical version of the 600-800 class. The new 550 provides a unique design from the multi gear transmission to the electronics cabinet in the nose of the craft. The new 550 will also be available in 3 different canopy colors.

For more information on the SOXOS 550 click right here.

Accessories:

• 1x Soxos 550 Kit
  • 1x Hobbywing ESC: 6S - 100A (BEC 10A)
  • 1x Brushless Motor: 920kv 6S
  • 1x Pinion: 19 Teeth (Gear ratio 7.94)
  • 3x Swashplate servos: SX-3206MG HV-Brushless
  • 1x Tail servo: SX-3207MG HV-Brushless
  • 1x Main blades: 550mm
  • 1x Tail blades: 90mm
  • 1x Canopy Orange / Gray
  • 1x Manual

Needed to complete:

• Flybarless-System
  • 6S 5,000 - 6,000 mAh Battery
  • Transmitter / Receiver

Last edited by ndfly700; Aug 28, 2016 at 10:45 PM..
Aug 30, 2016, 03:43 PM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
How many gears will this thing wreck in a crash?
Aug 30, 2016, 03:43 PM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
sorry double tap /facepalm
Last edited by spykez; Aug 30, 2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Double post
Aug 30, 2016, 06:02 PM
Original taste! Mountain dew!
That's a sweet looking drivetrain. How many speeds? I guess they went all out on this thing! Skipped belt altogether! Totally reverse of what protos has
Aug 31, 2016, 12:38 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
She's no looker though. Hard to decide what's least attractive, canopy on or canopy off? Both took a beating with the ugly stick IMHO.

The framework around the drivetrain and motor looks very fragile too, possibly it's stronger than it looks?
Aug 31, 2016, 04:39 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher
That's a sweet looking drivetrain. How many speeds? I guess they went all out on this thing! Skipped belt altogether! Totally reverse of what protos has
You think so?

I'd call it an engineering disaster:
The top idler gear on the main shaft is obsolete (you don't need an idler gear to reverse the direction of rotation if the motor can be reversed simply by exchanging two leads).
That top idler gear also means, the bevel gear for tail drive PTO now handles the full power of the system, and needs to be lots stronger than needed for just driving the tail.
The top idler gear is also a totally unnecessary power loss.

Placing the gear what now is the idler gear, in the lower position, and inverting the 2nd stage would have cured all that and make things even more compact.

I really don't get it....
Aug 31, 2016, 06:26 AM
I have to agree, I'm not against complexity if it serves a purpose but this design to my eye seems a bit clumsy. Maybe others will see it different.

Anyway, it is good to have a heli manufacture investing in development of new products and it certainly seems to fly very nicely so good luck to them.
Aug 31, 2016, 09:45 AM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
nah, I think Brutus called it.
Aug 31, 2016, 10:42 AM
Original taste! Mountain dew!
I think it's beautiful! Rugged
Remember soxos800 with a toolbox? you could carry extra screws or linkages with you just in case
Aug 31, 2016, 04:57 PM
rc user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967
The top idler gear on the main shaft is obsolete (you don't need an idler gear to reverse the direction of rotation if the motor can be reversed simply by exchanging two leads).
That top idler gear also means, the bevel gear for tail drive PTO now handles the full power of the system, and needs to be lots stronger than needed for just driving the tail.
The top idler gear is also a totally unnecessary power loss.

Placing the gear what now is the idler gear, in the lower position, and inverting the 2nd stage would have cured all that and make things even more compact.

I really don't get it....
Hi Brutus, I agree the extra gears are unnecessary weight, drag, slop and complexity, but I am having trouble understanding some of your comments.
I don't see an idler gear on the mainshaft, did you mean the intermediate shaft or jack shaft? The gearset in between the motor pinion and main shaft is what I'm referring to.
I also don't understand the bevel gear tail drive, you say it handles full power, but how is that any different with the intermediate gears deleted?
Sep 01, 2016, 12:02 AM
Possibly Brutus doesnt appreciate that the two stage reduction on this heli is not to reverse direction of rotation (that's just a byproduct). The purpose of the two stage reduction is to be able to keep the individual gears relatively small in diameter. A single stage reduction requires a big 'dinner plate' main gear which with modern high torque motors needs to be very beefy and heavy and it requires a huge hole in the frame just where you want the frame to be stiffest. The pinion on a single stage also needs to be small which isn't ideal for transmitting high torque as it puts less tooth area in mesh.

It's not the two stage reduction in principal that I have issues with it's just that it seems to my eye a quite clumsy implementation.
Sep 01, 2016, 10:32 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
JPF, why would they use a motor pinion gear that large in diameter? It seems out of proportion to everyone else.
Sep 01, 2016, 10:46 PM
rc user
pinion is larger, therefore transmits power better. You know how very small pinions can strip teeth? opposite idea here..
of course belt drive would be better than all those gears anyway.
Sep 01, 2016, 11:06 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It seems to me that a larger pinion would only offer the advantage of higher RPM plus less torque. EPower systems are pretty amazing today though.
Sep 01, 2016, 11:08 PM
rc user
like JPF said, more gear tooth contact area in the larger pinion.

Quick Reply