Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 28, 2016, 11:45 AM
Pedantic Thinker
Thread OP
Discussion

Official Parrot Disco ***Owner's Thread***

Every product needs an "official" thread (as created by community members) I figured I would follow suit for Parrot Disco.
https://www.parrot.com/us/drones/par...co-fpv-details

Price: $1,299.99 USD, 1,149.99, or 1 299,00 depending on your country.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
PARROT DISCO
DIMENSIONS :
Size : 1150 mm x 580mm x 120 mm
Wingspan : 1150 mm (45 in)

WEIGHT :
750gr | 26oz

GPS :
Built-in GPS : GPS + GLONASS

PERFORMANCE :
Motor 1280kv
Servomoteur 5V
RF Receiver ready SBUS, SUMD, CPPM

VIDEO & IMAGE :
1080p Full HD camera
Video streaming : 360p / 720p

SOFTWARE :
Linux & Open source SDK for App development

SENSORS :
Ultrasound
Altimeter
Optical flow camera
Airspeed sensor (Pitot tube)

INERTIAL NAVIGATION SYSTEM :
3 axis gyroscope
3 axis accelerometer
3-axes magnetometer

HARDWARE :
CPU Dual core Cortex A9
Internal Flash Memory: 32GB

WI-FI AND TRANSMISSIONS :
Access point network
WiFi AC-type, 2 bi-band antennas (2,4 and 5GHz)
Up to 2km with Parrot SKYCONTROLLER or SKYCONTROLLER 2

REMOVABLE BATTERY :
2700 mAh / 25A 3 cells Lipo Battery
Battery life : 45min

PARROT SKYCONTROLLER 2
DIMENSIONS :
200x180x110mm

POIDS :
500g

GENERAL SPECIFICITIES :
2 joysticks
8 shortcut buttons
Battery Li-Po: 2700mAh
Battery life: 240 minutes
USB plug
WiFi MIMO antennas

PARROT COCKPITGLASSES
WEIGHT :
390g

FOV :

GENERAL SPECIFICITIES :
Compatible with a range of smartphone brands thanks to the adjustabole dock for smartphones. Compatible are smartphones with screen sizes from 4,7" to 5,7" and a thinkness from 6mm to 9,5mm.

"Parrot Disco FPV combines the essentials of the latest technologies for flights with exceptional reality. Discover Parrot Disco, the first smart flying wing that reaches 80km/h. Immerse yourself in the vastness of the sky and see the world from a whole new angle with Parrot Cockpitglasses: the essential goggles for immersive flights. Lastly, for total control, pilot your wing with precision with the new Parrot Skycontroller 2. Take control!"

Free Flight Pro is an app dedicated to advanced flight with drones. The interface was designed for you to use with FPV glasses and enjoy total immersion. All your routes, photos, films and data are saved. You can find them easily and share your feats on Youtube. With this edition, you can access Flight Plan, a fee-paying solution for creating highly precise autonomous flight plans (altitude, speed, camera angle, etc.).

Parrot DISCO FPV - Official Video (1 min 11 sec)

"Henri Seydoux, CEO, Parrot presented the new Parrot Disco, a fixed-wing consumer drone on August 23, 2016, in Palm Desert"
Parrot Disco Launch CEO presentation (23 min 42 sec)

"Parrot's latest drone isn't a quadcopter, but a fixed-wing UAV that you can fly with FPV goggles. The kind of remote-controlled airplane differs from other drones in that it can fly faster and further, but still has autonomous flight capabilities to take off and return to you."
Meet Parrot Disco, a Ready-to-Fly Fixed Wing Drone (5 min 55 sec)

"The Parrot Disco Drone has a propeller, but looks far more like a traditional airplane than a futuristic camera-wielding robot. The lightweight design houses a Full HD camera in the front nose, as well as ground sensors, Wi-Fi, GPS, and three-axis stabilization for incredibly easy control. It can fly for up to 45 minutes, automatically fly a predetermined route and return home, and is also compatible with VR headsets for a first-person view of every flight."

Parrot's DISCO Drone Prototype (ARM @ CES 2016) (1 min 26 sec)

to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2016, 11:46 AM
Pedantic Thinker
Thread OP

parrot disco test flights raw footage

First raw footage I have seen posted.
parrot disco test flights raw footage (3 min 52 sec)
Aug 28, 2016, 11:46 AM
Pedantic Thinker
Thread OP
This is what it looks like to crash a brand new $1,300 plane-like drone

http://qz.com/767788/this-is-what-it...ne-like-drone/
Last edited by SasquatchLabs; Aug 29, 2016 at 11:08 AM.
Aug 28, 2016, 12:47 PM
And our last hope to keep the fixed winged area clear of silly drone users has now vanished...
Will start to see them now racing them in public parks or maybe making "lines" on the airports with the airliners...
One can hope that Parrot will include a non-fly area on the software like the DJI have.
Last edited by paultbg; Aug 28, 2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: .
Aug 28, 2016, 01:04 PM
Would have been more appropriate posting this in the FPV Talk Forum or FPV Aircraft
Aug 28, 2016, 01:13 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Would have been more appropriate posting this in the FPV Talk Forum or FPV Aircraft
Very true. Perhaps the mods could move it.
Latest blog entry: Event planning for 2018
Aug 28, 2016, 07:27 PM
Pedantic Thinker
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Very true. Perhaps the mods could move it.
In context... it IS an Electric Plane... regardless of if you like the fact that it *can* be flown FPV. Advanced users can also fly it with a normal TX if they so choose.
Aug 28, 2016, 07:46 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchLabs
In context... it IS an Electric Plane... regardless of if you like the fact that it *can* be flown FPV. Advanced users can also fly it with a normal TX if they so choose.
If you look around, the "official" threads for various types of aircraft are almost always located in the sub forum most closely associated with the type of aircraft that it is.

This way, the people interested in a particular type of aircraft are most likely to encounter the thread.

This applies to all types of aircraft.
Latest blog entry: Event planning for 2018
Aug 28, 2016, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultbg
And our last hope to keep the fixed winged area clear of silly drone users has now vanished...
Will start to see them now racing them in public parks or maybe making "lines" on the airports with the airliners...
One can hope that Parrot will include a non-fly area on the software like the DJI have.

What's the difference between this and putting an fpv rig on virtually any other fixed wing plane?
Aug 28, 2016, 09:23 PM
Pedantic Thinker
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpredatorGT
What's the difference between this and putting an fpv rig on virtually any other fixed wing plane?
IMHO at this point, not much more than adding it to the "smart" category by adding a smart phone app to the mix and *productizing* the whole thing.

I couldn't have said it better however. You are spot on with regard to potential category that it *belongs* in.
Aug 28, 2016, 09:32 PM
Besides the price tag, I think it's pretty cool

\_(ツ)_/
Aug 28, 2016, 09:38 PM
All Thumbs
Since this thing is a plane that won't simply stay put midair wherever you last left it like a stabilized quad, and will therefore probably require some actual piloting skills, I'm guessing the market will be a little more limited ... although I'm sure that won't stop the quad kiddies who assume it'll be just like flying a quad from buying one and endangering the lives of innocent people everywhere.

This could get scary.

But please, please don't make it as easy to fly as a quad, taking away the last vestige of pride that us "real" pilots have to cling to.
Aug 28, 2016, 09:56 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunPilot
Since this thing is a plane that won't simply stay put midair wherever you last left it like a stabilized quad, and will therefore probably require some actual piloting skills, I'm guessing the market will be a little more limited ... although I'm sure that won't stop the quad kiddies who assume it'll be just like flying a quad from buying one and endangering the lives of innocent people everywhere.

This could get scary.

But please, please don't make it as easy to fly as a quad, taking away the last vestige of pride that us "real" pilots have to cling to.

Unfortunately all fixed wing can be flown by itself, cheaper technology from china makes it possible. But USD$1,200 is a hefty price to pay. A DIY plane with same capacity, smart function and longer runtime more than 1 hours over 50km+ mileage can be bought under only USD$290 home build just like the one discussed in this threads: (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2725674) Except this one is only 390gram full flying weight with portable arm size wings flown using a smartphone too.

$290 dollar mini UAV wing:
52.1km To the Edge - Mini UAV Wing Wing Z-84 second build. (1 hr 15 min 13 sec)
Aug 28, 2016, 10:40 PM
All Thumbs
Oh ... that kind of "autonomous."

That's programming, not flying, so I guess us pilots will be able to retain a shred of dignity or two.

~ Tapatalking ~
Aug 28, 2016, 10:43 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunPilot
Oh ... that kind of "autonomous."

That's programming, not flying, so I guess us pilots will be able to retain a shred of dignity or two.

~ Tapatalking ~
Its very easy to build, not much programming work. Still the flying wing can be switch back to normal flying mode, FPV mode, "my girlfriend flying it" mode or "hold on i need to take a pee" mode.

Quick Reply