Aug 28, 2016, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

ss minnow studio prop from gilligans island

Hello all!
Im fairly new to the world of wooden ship.model building. built a few. I just ordered pats, ss minnow model plans just for ides.. My question. Has anyone ever thought about building an rc model of the studio prop? If you are not familiar with that version, it was the one used pretty much thru season one. The first episode, not the pilot. Goodbye island, and birds gotta fly, fish gotta talk.and the opening credits of season 3, it has some interesting hull curves i cant quite figure out but i think it would be a good project..but it doesn't really have the bells and whistles, the pilot episode ship has..
Kevin. Gibson
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2016, 12:03 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
I don't think I know the differences.

Aug 28, 2016, 12:20 PM
Thread OP
There is a huge difference..one was actually a functioning ship..at one time. the other was a studio non functioning prop, matter of fact i think the pilot episode boat was actually bigger. Sometimes i think they built the prop around a real boat..but the studio was pretty good at fabrication!!
Last edited by M35gibsin; Aug 28, 2016 at 12:28 PM.
Aug 28, 2016, 01:33 PM
There were 4 according to Bob Denver.
http://www.bobdenver.com/bobdenver/G...ss_minnow.html
Aug 28, 2016, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
Ship #1
The one they used in the pilot for the beach scenes.
Ship#2 the rented one used for leaving port
The one that was used for season 3 leaving port, which has since been bought.
The studio prop.
Aug 28, 2016, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
The really bad thing about the studio model, is everything is out of shape, the deck seems bowed/warped,, the lower hull, from what good cbs images i do have. Looks like it has some kind of additional protrusion under it, im thinking that may be part of the support they built to keep the ship upright for filming, and the the lower helm control , which is out of sight, is on the right instead of the left, the left is access to the lower compartment. If i wanted to build it somewhat correct, i would need to figure out the hull shape especially a quarter way back from the bow. Instead of it curving back from the bow, it seems to flare outward with a bit of a buldge before straighting up heading for the stern.
Aug 29, 2016, 02:02 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Pat Tritle's model plans are as good as any place to start.

Some of the other builds...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191618

Quick Reply