Fatshark Dominator v3 battery wont charge - RC Groups
Aug 26, 2016, 11:39 PM
FPV Addict
Help!

Fatshark Dominator v3 battery wont charge

So brand new pair comes in today. i put it through a few flights battery warning goes off. keep flying a bit more but not till it cut off. then go to charge it with my 50w accuell 6 and i keep getting errors.

i searched around to see what i can find and i read about the batteries if they go to low they kind of just die.. and that you can reset them with a 9v battery but i dont think this is my problem since i can still power up the googles with the battery. i tried it any ways with no luck..

also i made sure its not the charger, because it charged all my other batteries with no issues...

any suggestions.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2016, 12:30 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Remember when the battery warning went off?
It was telling you to land NOW.
Your battery is too low to charge.
The safest way around this is to try the 9V battery trick and hope it works.
There is a way to do this with your charger but we need to direct you to a safer way as the charger way can be ignored,,, like when the battery warning went off.

Rick
Aug 27, 2016, 12:59 AM
FPV Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
Remember when the battery warning went off?
It was telling you to land NOW.
Your battery is too low to charge.
The safest way around this is to try the 9V battery trick and hope it works.
There is a way to do this with your charger but we need to direct you to a safer way as the charger way can be ignored,,, like when the battery warning went off.

Rick
tried the 9v trick again with no luck
Aug 27, 2016, 01:02 AM
Are you attempting to charge in standard charge mode via the main DC connector with the balance connector disconnected? What is the voltage of the battery as reported by your charger when in monitor mode?
Aug 27, 2016, 09:04 AM
FPV Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
Are you attempting to charge in standard charge mode via the main DC connector with the balance connector disconnected? What is the voltage of the battery as reported by your charger when in monitor mode?
so i just put my voltage checker to see and the battery is dead. one cell is at
.01 and the other at 7.65.

i keep trying the 9v trick but nothing. is there any other way to jump the battery?
Aug 27, 2016, 09:07 AM
Answer the above questions and we can provide the best solutions to resolve your issue. Use your charger with only the main connector connected to the charger to check voltage.

As for the '9V trick', you must connect the negative pole of the 9V battery to the outer contact of the main connector and the positive pole of the 9V battery to the inner contact of the main connector. This will nearly always resolve the issue you're experiencing provided the 9V battery is fresh.
Aug 27, 2016, 09:14 AM
Suspended Account
ok you are going to need to do a trick... you flew pack to long more than likely the low cell is damaged.. now.. you can try to charge on nimh mode.. or build a harness to connect to low cell to bring up to a readable volatge the charger wont give you a a error on..look at mah and charge at .001 x mah rate in nimh mode to get low cell up to 3.75 volts ..then look up in lipo balance mode... when buzzer or beep goes off land and change you did damage to battery 1st time now you know.. made from a servo extension wire and deans,,
Aug 27, 2016, 09:21 AM
^^^ Disregard the information in post #7. ^^^

He is not familiar with the specifics of Fatshark batteries.
Aug 27, 2016, 09:39 AM
FPV Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
Answer the above questions and we can provide the best solutions to resolve your issue. Use your charger with only the main connector connected to the charger to check voltage.

As for the '9V trick', you must connect the negative pole of the 9V battery to the outer contact of the main connector and the positive pole of the 9V battery to the inner contact of the main connector. This will nearly always resolve the issue you're experiencing provided the 9V battery is fresh.
im trying to do a balance charge with both the bannana plugs and balance plug connected.

when i do a voltage meter check with just the main lead i get a reading of 7.76
Aug 27, 2016, 09:44 AM
Frankie, you can't balance charge the Batts for the doms v3's.

The balance lead on this battery pack is used as an accessory lead for powering the optional fan plate and it should NOT be used as a balance charge lead. If you have trouble charging this battery please refer to the updated manual.
http://www.getfpv.com/fatshark-1800m...t-battery.html

Doug
Aug 27, 2016, 09:44 AM
As noted above, disconnect the balance plug and perform a normal charge. After charging, voltage on the balance plug should be normal. If it isn't, contact your vendor from where you purchased your goggles.
Aug 27, 2016, 10:03 AM
Suspended Account
a 2 cell battery should never read 7.65 volts.. and the other at .01 volts dispose fire hazard thought from reading 1st and 3rd post this was a 3 cell lipo not 2 cell.. a cell over 4.2 is dangerous this one at 7.65 id bad ...
Aug 27, 2016, 10:18 AM
^^^ Again, disregard the above post ^^^
Aug 27, 2016, 02:34 PM
Suspended Account
this pack can not be balanced. no balance wire only 2 main power out puts.. if one cell is at 7.65 volt its dangerous.. but you are measuring 2 cells in series.. no 3rd wire..do you agree no mr ..?
Aug 27, 2016, 02:46 PM
This is from the Fatshark Dominator V3 Manual:

Battery Charging
The 7.4V, 1800mAh lithium polymer battery pack is equipped with a 3 pole balance
charger lead that allows the battery to be charged off standard RC battery pack
chargers (not included). Follow your charger instructions for setting up for 7.4V,1800mAh
Li-po. Some chargers require the discharge cable to be connected. Use the
enclosed discharge lead adapter for these types of chargers. Do not exceed 1C
charging current.
Note (1): If the charger fails to announce charge complete, but is showing battery
voltage at 8.4V, the charge can be considered finished.
Note (2): If battery becomes fully discharged or accidentally shorted, an internal
safety circuit will trip. To reset the battery, tap 9V direct to the barrel connector via
the discharge adapter cable’s banana connector (black = GND, red = 9V). This will
instantly reset the battery and it can be recharged as normal.
General Lithium Polymer safety and handling instructions:
• NEVER leave a LiPo battery unattended while being charged or discharged.
• ALWAYS monitor the battery and charger during the entire charging process.
• ALWAYS charge LiPo batteries in a fireproof location.
• ALWAYS have a lithium approved “class D type” fire extinguisher available.
• NEVER charge LiPo batteries at currents greater than the “1C” rating of the
battery (“C” equals the rated capacity of the battery).
• NEVER continue to charge LiPo batteries if the charger fails to recognize full
charge. Overheating or swelling of the LiPo cells is an indication of a problem and
the battery should be disconnected from the charger immediately and placed in a
fireproof location

The revised Fatshark Manual tells a different story. Here is a link to the revised pdf version::

https://s3.amazonaws.com/helpscout.n...-Spec-RevC.pdf
Last edited by kamcoman; Aug 27, 2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: .