Aug 26, 2016, 11:14 PM
Traranisaurus TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaulfinger
I'm a staunch futaba user and that screen beats my new 18sz no question. Very nice.
Score 1-0 vs. the $1,100 400 pound gorilla! The 18sz is indeed a fine transmitter, but it's nice to see the Horus drawing first blood. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
... I think it's unfortunate that FrSky spent time and money developing FrOS as I'd imagine most savvy users will toss it immediately in favor of OpenTX. To make matters more murky the less than savvy users who want OpenTX will have many questions about which version, how to do it - what voice package - etc etc etc. And once again there will be support issues. Of course FrSky won't support functionality aspects for transmitters with other than the stock firmware - and neither will dealers. Had FrSky spent money and time doing what they do best (developing hardware) and let the developers do what they do best - then there would have been a marriage made in heaven. Such is life. History repeats itself.
I agree, "... most savvy users will toss it immediately in favor of OpenTX." However, from FrSky's standpoint, I think the new propitiatory OS was critical. When it comes to how may units can be sold, The Taranis never was, and never will be, able to take on Futaba, Spketrum, JR, Graupner, et. al. Few people here will argue that the OpenTX software is the most versatile interface in the R/C hobby industry. Although this point has been debated ad nauseam in other threads, the fact remains that many people avoid the OpenTX systems simply because they believe that the interface is too bothersome to deal with. Most people who are reading this, and who end up with a Horus, will probably wind up using OpenTX. However, some people who would not buy the Taranis due to its perceived complexity will get the Horus, and stick with the FrSky OS. These individuals will not miss the shortcomings regarding special functions, voice packs, etc., because they don't know, or care about, these features in the first place.

Forget about OpenTX for a moment, and consider this question: how does the FrSky OS compare to the software in the Futaba/Spketrum/Graupner lineups (in the $500 range?) Think in terms of simplicity and versatility. If the FrSky OS can hold its own against these interfaces, then the Hours just might be a real mainstream competitor. I cannot begin to answer this question, as I have not yet seen the Horus, and have never used modern transmitters from other manufacturers, aside from the Futaba 7C.

Despite the intense efforts FrSky put into the Beta program for the FrSky OS, there was no way they would get it perfect the first time around. Now that the Horus is making its way into the hands of many more modelers, things that the Beta team might have overlooked (in addition to the problems that have already been discovered) can be addressed. Assuming that the OS can be easily updated when new versions are launched, this problem will resolve itself. It's just a matter of how fast FrSky can launch updates and bug fixes. Of course, we'll have to wait and see how long it takes them to do this. Bottom line: I think the FrSky OS will be a lot more robust a year from now.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2016, 11:15 PM
Just FYI Scott. You can assign a special function to a switch to do screen grabs so you don't need to take pictures of the screen.
Aug 26, 2016, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi
Just FYI Scott. You can assign a special function to a switch to do screen grabs so you don't need to take pictures of the screen.
LOL. I'm such a noob with this. Not being part of the beta gives me the new user feel - but it does leave me a bit behind the curve.
Aug 26, 2016, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andytransonic
In one of your rear view pics I can see 3 little plugs. I guess there are 4 but the angle of your pic shows 3.

These look like little raised protrusions tangential to and on either side of the handle frame.

Could these be rubber plugs you pry out with your nails to expose gimbal adjusting screw holes ?

I could be wrong and these could be molded protrusions as part of the manufacturing process.

Ahhh... I see what you are talking about.

They don't want to fall out - but are not difficult to remove. They snap in place when put back. Not rubber but hard plastic.
Aug 26, 2016, 11:26 PM
SUBED

Ross
Aug 26, 2016, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi
Quote:
LOL. I'm such a noob with this. Not being part of the beta gives me the new user feel - but it does leave me a bit behind the curve.
Looks like I'll need to put in an SD card to capture the images. Right now everything is running off of the SS memory that was added to the production unit. But I did get the momentary switch configured to take screen shots. I got a weak haptic signal each time - perhaps because there is no card to save them.
Aug 26, 2016, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT
Man oh man, that screen is incredible. The Horus has been the type of transmitter I've wanted from the start as I wanted a higher end radio with a better screen and color, better hardware, and still be able to use OpenTX. I love my Taranis, but have been waiting for this radio from the start.
I had to turn down the intensity of the screen quite a bit to take photos inside. It's so bright the camera could not handle the iphone could not handle the dynamic range.
Aug 26, 2016, 11:39 PM
Wheels make the world go-round
Quote:
I had to turn down the intensity of the screen quite a bit to take photos inside. It's so bright the camera could not handle the iphone could not handle the dynamic range.
Ha-ha! I love it!
Aug 26, 2016, 11:40 PM
Wheels make the world go-round
Wayne,

Do you have a rough estimate on the shipping cost (to SoCal in this case) considering the weight and dimensions of this item? I'm trying to plan accordingly, as I'm already going to get hit by the state tax AND shipping . Ha-ha
Last edited by T-CAT; Aug 27, 2016 at 05:37 AM.
Aug 26, 2016, 11:55 PM
I suggested the screen capture feature as an aid to sharing model setups early during the Beta phase. FrSky ran with the idea and had it implemented the very next release! I suspect it will become a useful tool for all owners in the absence of a Companion like utility to share setups. There have been no noises suggesting such a utility will become available but hopefully FrSky will release one some time soon.

Adding an SD card should allow for sound packs, backups, extended telemetry recording and MP3 storage. I recommend all owners get a small card. From 2 up to 32GB cards have been tested working OK.

Quote:
Looks like I'll need to put in an SD card to capture the images. Right now everything is running off of the SS memory that was added to the production unit. But I did get the momentary switch configured to take screen shots. I got a weak haptic signal each time - perhaps because there is no card to save them.
Aug 27, 2016, 12:01 AM

Things that are not so good.. seemingly.

Perhaps it's just my unit - but the haptic is pretty anemic. No.. it's really anemic. Not complaining - just throwing it out there.

Also there doesn't seem to be any audio warning when the TX is left on or not used for an extended time. It could very well be that I've not found it -- but this seems like a major oversight if it's not there.
Aug 27, 2016, 12:46 AM
ITTD you're Clear for Takeoff!
Quote:
Yes -- this is very true. My photos show it's readable - but they don't show how stunning it is.
Yeah I have to chime in- my beta units screen is very bright- yet when I made a YT vid flying the Tundra my Mobius hatcam cannot pick up the screen- its almost appears to be a security screen! it looks dark and unreadable- but reality is polar opposite, screen is very bright in daylight and heard that the production units are even brighter
Aug 27, 2016, 12:57 AM
Quote:
These are the three model setup screens. You choose the item you want using the rotary encoder wheel and press the button in the center to enter the menu of that item.
Oh man wait til you flash OpenTx 2.2, I saw those OS screens for a week before I could load 2.2- its a whole new world on 2.2

btw on haptic- I didn't even notice it on my unit, just checked, my haptic was in middle position set to "All", set it to highest and still as you
said its hardly noticeable or felt- definitely a hardware brain fart- its useless...ohh and I think there is an inactivity alarm, voice warning, confirmed just checked!
Last edited by IntheTubeDeep; Aug 27, 2016 at 01:26 AM.
Aug 27, 2016, 01:26 AM
Hi. I'm really interested in this radio but have some questions from those that have experience before I take the plunge:
1. How does the Horus feel when holding with one hand for dlg throwing?
2. Will I be able to import existing models written in opentx 2.1.8 to 2.2.? I presume if using the frsky OS it would be write them all over again.
3. What size/type is the stock battery and will current draw from the screen compromise battery life?
4. I was hoping to experiment in Companion with 2.2 but can't find whete to download it. Am I missing something.?

I'm UK
Many thanks
Martin
Aug 27, 2016, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin O
Hi. I'm really interested in this radio but have some questions from those that have experience before I take the plunge:
1. How does the Horus feel when holding with one hand for dlg throwing?
2. Will I be able to import existing models written in opentx 2.1.8 to 2.2.? I presume if using the frsky OS it would be write them all over again.
3. What size/type is the stock battery and will current draw from the screen compromise battery life?
4. I was hoping to experiment in Companion with 2.2 but can't find whete to download it. Am I missing something.?

I'm UK
Many thanks
Martin
1) Feels great in hands, however its solid and heavy- most pilots will be using a strap I suspect, I'm a thumb flyer so never used a strap so no worries for me, but its heavy!
2) I believe eepe's will be converted in 2.2 but someone else can confirm this
3) Believe its an 11v- the batt range on my unit is 8.8-11.2v
Batt life is ok- there is no batt hatch so no easy access to batt, you need to split the case.
4) OpenTx 2.2 is probably not available yet for production units- Jet-Flyer's the man to answer that but I can tell you 2.2 is awesome!!!!

Quick Reply