Aug 26, 2016, 07:44 PM
This is a brand new product which many potential new owners would like clear and concise information on devoid of irrelevant content. We all know how threads naturally inflate with seemingly a life of their own. I for one would prefer a resource rather than a forum for petty sniping and FUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS Varmint
It's pretty clearly an attempt to garner additional business by driving traffic to yet another Horus topic with a dealer conveniently positioned as the OP. While that may not violate any RCG TOS, it is what it is, which is somewhat sleazy. I'm with you on the censorship too. Not very classy. I think the only thing one can really do is opt to post in the "dirtier" thread and hopefully see this one die. I'm sure I shall see my post disappear as well, but I shall certainly make a complaint to RCG if it does.
You should be fully aware with a normal thread here on RCG only the admin staff have editing rights. Not to mention disciplinary discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radikal
what do you mean by clean ? don't you have enough with your own moderated thread ?

in the past few days you have censored lots of people's posts, 5 in a row of mines ( we were discussing of GetFPV warranty terms)

sorry but I think we have enough with 1 o 2 very active Frsky Horus threads.
Keeping it clean means showing a little self restraint from posting off topic, sniping comments and trolling.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2016, 07:45 PM
I'm a staunch futaba user and that screen beats my new 18sz no question. Very nice.
Aug 26, 2016, 07:51 PM
Some at our field say that leaving your transmitter sitting out on the benches in the sun will dim the screen......not sure if this is true, but I am wondering if this Horus screen technology is susceptible to permanent impairment from heat or prolonged direct sunlight?
Aug 26, 2016, 07:53 PM

First impression

My first impression with this radio is that it feel delicious. Construction feels solid, switches are superlative with very crisp positions. The gimbals are just amazing silky smooth.

To be fair there are a couple things I've become aware of.

The gimbals are M4 thread. Just for reference, Futaba are M3 and JR/Spec are M2. That said - custom stick ends such as fatties for thumb flyers or contoured for pinchers won't fit. Certainly not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination. I imagine my first job will be fitting up some banjo tuning heads with M4 threads.

The transmitter doesn't appear to be able to fit any currently available tray systems. First look it appears the handle will remove fairly easily so a tray should be able fitted and bolted to the hard spots for the handle. I'd guess FrSky will have a tray solution released "soon".

The FrOS does not have much in the way of special functions. The menu system of OpenTX is relatively intuitive, but it feels limiting after using OpenTX.
In fact - after looking @ OpenTX 2.2 I think it's unfortunate that FrSky spent time and money developing FrOS as I'd imagine most savvy users will toss it immediately in favor of OpenTX. To make matters more murky the less than savvy users who want OpenTX will have many questions about which version, how to do it - what voice package - etc etc etc. And once again there will be support issues. Of course FrSky won't support functionality aspects for transmitters with other than the stock firmware - and neither will dealers. Had FrSky spent money and time doing what they do best (developing hardware) and let the developers do what they do best - then there would have been a marriage made in heaven. Such is life. History repeats itself.

I'll likely make a video with a look through FrOS for people curious. Version 1.2.04 is what is currently shipping. There are already known bugs such as throttle cut and the lack of channel overides in special functions makes a work around impossible at this time.

Ok - the hardware is amazing - simply amazing. I can't say enough positive about the hardware. The firmware needs to be replaced with OpenTX in my opinion. I seriously doubt FrSky will dump FrOS as they seem bound and determined to make their own interface. (scratching head).

These are only first impressions. I've yet to do anything but sit on the couch and "play" so far -- but I'm ready to put up foamy with it tomorrow - except we have high wind forecast.
Aug 26, 2016, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaulfinger
I'm a staunch futaba user and that screen beats my new 18sz no question. Very nice.
To fully grasp how stunning the production system color screen is you've got to see it first hand. I thought my pre-beta screen was pretty bright but FrSky somehow made the production even brighter.

Unfortunately it is imposable to photograph because the camera lens goes nuts.

Mike
Aug 26, 2016, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
To fully grasp how stunning the production system color screen is you've got to see it first hand. I thought my pre-beta screen was pretty bright but FrSky somehow made the production even brighter.

Unfortunately it is imposable to photograph because the camera lens goes nuts.

Mike
Yes -- this is very true. My photos show it's readable - but they don't show how stunning it is.
Aug 26, 2016, 08:05 PM
I urge early adopters to thoroughly under stand the changes to the way FrTX handles failsafe conditions with X series receivers. Failsafe conditions are set on a per model basis on the TX and will override settings on the RX made in the old fashion manner.
Aug 26, 2016, 08:07 PM
Scott I'd appreciate a photo of the case back and feet. Intrigued to see what FrSky have changed from the Beta radios. I know you are a fan of heavier gimbal springs. The Betas were Taranis light. How are you finding the release spec springs?
Aug 26, 2016, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robomort
Scott I'd appreciate a photo of the case back and feet. Intrigued to see what FrSky have changed from the Beta radios.
Not sure exactly what you're looking for -- but these might help?
Aug 26, 2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks Scott. Beta testers asked for a means of adjusting the gimbals without opening the case. It looks like FrSky have provided holes and plugs. The rubber feet should also have a wedge shape to them now if my interpretation of the changes are correct.
Aug 26, 2016, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robomort
Scott I'd appreciate a photo of the case back and feet. Intrigued to see what FrSky have changed from the Beta radios. I know you are a fan of heavier gimbal springs. The Betas were Taranis light. How are you finding the release spec springs?
Here are a few more.

I found the gimbals absolutely perfect as a first impression. I'll really know better when I'm flying with them.
Aug 26, 2016, 09:01 PM
can someone tell me which frsky receivers will work with the horus

thanks dale
Aug 26, 2016, 09:16 PM
For folks interested in flashing their X12S with OpenTX 2.2 I'm updating my X12S flashing document so it covers the flashing process for the production system. Because of the flash memory drive in the production system the process is a little bit different than it was for the beta systems.

We are using a public section in Rocket Chat for our OpenTX 2.2.X discussions here https://opentx.rocket.chat/channel/OpenTX_General

I hope to test my flashing process tomorrow and get the document ready ASAP. I'll be adding the full flashing process for FrTX that was not public before.

Mike
Aug 26, 2016, 09:25 PM
Plane Fanatic
As I just said on rocket.chat "Love your work!"
Aug 26, 2016, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowdle
Some at our field say that leaving your transmitter sitting out on the benches in the sun will dim the screen......not sure if this is true, but I am wondering if this Horus screen technology is susceptible to permanent impairment from heat or prolonged direct sunlight?
Heating an lcd display will cause it to turn completely dark until it cools. Don't want it dark, don't let it get too hot. Doesn't matter whose lcd either.

Quick Reply