Sep 15, 2019, 01:47 AM
https://hmvc.eu/
I was very disappointed to see the X-Lite Pro with the LCD-screen.

I thought it was the perfect opportunity to make the first radio with an e-Ink display.

I believe there are only 3 downsides to e-Ink.

1. Price
2. Speed
3. Colour is even more expensive.

I don't know how the fastest type of e-Ink would do on a radio. These displays are typically used for static applications.

I do think most people wouldn't mind a little bit of bad performance on that part if they would get perfect visibility in return.
How nice it is to look at an e-Ink display in the full sun.
I am secretly hoping for years that Frsky will bring the first one to the market.

The poor visibility of the X-Lite screen in combination with small size = small price would make it the perfect first candidate.

Colour screens could follow later.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 01:50 AM
well that 10 sec did not work and I even timed it at 10 then 11 all the way to 20 sec.
I pulled the connector on the battery and waited for about 20 sec with the power button pushed like one would do on a computer to reset it and plunged it back in and it worked fine. That is really scary though. I should have tested the control on the drone but did not think about it.
However when it was locked not everything was working correctly. I have the push for more than 2 sec but less than 5 sec safety throttle cut setup that was working correctly. But when locked it would only arm and would not disarm. That makes me question if all logical switches would still be working if the drone was in the air. Really Scary.

Mark
Sep 15, 2019, 03:23 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisroyaldudeness
The poor visibility of the X-Lite screen
Always been perfectly readable here? Contrast way off on yours?

Quote:
I don't know how the fastest type of e-Ink would do on a radio. These displays are typically used for static applications.
Terribly bad. Have played a lot with e-ink displays and they're really no good on anything that has to change regularly. Going through menus would be a nightmare of either waiting a second between each keypress watching a screen blink or having dirty, poorly readable text.

Quote:
Colour is even more expensive.
There is no full color e-ink on the market at this point, only tri-color ones (white/black plus one color, usually red or yellow) where you can only choose one of those 3, no mixing.
Sep 15, 2019, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Always been perfectly readable here? Contrast way off on yours?
"Perfectly" can be stretched.
I just checked if I could improve the setting, but no it was already on its best.
Quote:
Terribly bad. Have played a lot with e-ink displays and they're really no good on anything that has to change regularly. Going through menus would be a nightmare of either waiting a second between each keypress watching a screen blink or having dirty, poorly readable text.
I have no experience at all besides the Kobo readers I've bought through the years.
They don't need it and they will focus on other aspects.

These links look promising:
E Ink display with fast page refresh (0 min 31 sec)

E-paper hacking: fastest possible refresh rate (27 min 55 sec)

I just don't know at what stage it is to actually implement it on a production device.
Sep 15, 2019, 11:41 AM
Happy FPV flyer
You can refresh fast but at the cost of readabilty, so if your point is better readability it's incompatible with fast refresh.
A telemetry value that is displayed in "fast refresh" will look like all numbers superimposed in a few seconds. Your menu will look all dirty after scrolling a few lines etc...
Sep 17, 2019, 07:11 PM
I've been having problems getting my X12S to play sounds. When it was running FROS it would play sounds without a problem. Since flashing to OpenTX 2.2.4 it hasn't made a peep. No "welcome to OpenTX" on power up, no beeps, no alarms. Even if I browse to a .wav file and select play I get nothing.

Volume is up, I've checked the speaker connection, I've tried using headphones in the audio jack, and I've tried adding other sound files to the SD. Still no luck. Has anyone had the same problem and was there a solution?

Original thread from a different forum:
https://www.helifreak.com/#/topics/842587?page=1
Sep 18, 2019, 10:09 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
I was very disappointed to see the X-Lite Pro with the LCD-screen.

I thought it was the perfect opportunity to make the first radio with an e-Ink display.

I believe there are only 3 downsides to e-Ink.

1. Price
2. Speed
3. Colour is even more expensive.

I do think most people wouldn't mind a little bit of bad performance on that part if they would get perfect visibility in return.
How nice it is to look at an e-Ink display in the full sun.
I am secretly hoping for years that Frsky will bring the first one to the market.

The poor visibility of the X-Lite screen in combination with small size = small price would make it the perfect first candidate.

Colour screens could follow later.
E-ink is expensive, slow and basically a dead technology built as an alternative to hard to read in sunlight TFT displays from days of yore.

Nobody is going to move from modern displays to something like E-Ink. It's a dead end tech and results in poor user experience when interacting with the UI.

Even E-Readers like the Kindles are moving from E-Ink to modern colour LCD or OLED displays.

Andy Kunz provided some really good info on why E-ink was not suited for transmitetr use a while back, and he's actually tested them in this application (Spektrum looked at them briefly before concluding that they had no benefits in the real world)
Sep 18, 2019, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
E-ink is expensive, slow and basically a dead technology built as an alternative to hard to read in sunlight TFT displays from days of yore.

Nobody is going to move from modern displays to something like E-Ink. It's a dead end tech and results in poor user experience when interacting with the UI.

Even E-Readers like the Kindles are moving from E-Ink to modern colour LCD or OLED displays.

Andy Kunz provided some really good info on why E-ink was not suited for transmitetr use a while back, and he's actually tested them in this application (Spektrum looked at them briefly before concluding that they had no benefits in the real world)
Thanks for this info!
Good to hear that there were at least some actual tests before dismissing it as a whole.
I was not under the impression it was a dead technology though. E-readers really do look good in the full sun.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:06 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Thanks for this info!
Good to hear that there were at least some actual tests before dismissing it as a whole.
I was not under the impression it was a dead technology though. E-readers really do look good in the full sun.
The thing is that E-readers don't actually look any better in the sun than modern LCD/OLED screens.

Look at the Horus display in the sun sometime, it's absolutely superb.
Sep 26, 2019, 04:04 PM

Upgrading Open-Tx, what to expect

Hi guys,

I have now over 400 hours of logged airtime on my Horus X12S but never bothered to upgrade from the 2.2.1. version as I had zero issues with software or hardware for my applications which are mainly medium to large powered gliders with complex setups. Love the Horus and I am addicted to Open-Tx.

Recently I got a couple of the latest Frsky ESCs and as you know, to use the telemetry they offer, I need at least version 2.2.3. or higher.

What can I expect upgrading to the latest software version?

I have 25 active models on this radio and would not want to complicate things.

Would appreciate your input from your experience.

Regards,

Richard
Sep 27, 2019, 12:20 AM
On the radio itself, nothing, upgrades work fine, but as always, it is a good idea to backup your sd card before.

The only issues with Horus upgrades have technicaly not much to do with OpenTX but are related to PC drivers. Your version did not have a bootloader on Horus yet, so they have to be flashed using Companion, as some people tend to misread instructions and end up messing their windows driver. You need to follow a good guide depending on your computer hardware (Windows/LinuX/Mac).

If you are on windows, then you can use this guide : https://www.frsky-rc.com/wp-content/...ng%2012-04.pdf starting page 6 "Flashing OpenTX Firmware". The versions are not right anymore, but all the steps are the right ones.

The good news is this is the last time you have to go through that. After this update, your radio will have a bootloader, and upgrading will be much much simpler.

3djc
Sep 27, 2019, 04:32 AM
Ardupilot Lead Testing

Hardware problem?

Something strange is happening in my X12S.
Yesterday during a flight with a drone he started giving me absent/available telemetry messages, looking at the lcd I see the signal that appears and disappears, random.
The rx continues to receive the rf signal quietly, but apparently my tx now fails to understand its actual stability.
I've already tried to replace the IXJT+ module but the problem remains.
Has this ever happened to anyone? Motherboard compromised? It's time to buy an X10S Access?

Horus X12S - RF state issue (hardware problem?) (0 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Marco67; Sep 27, 2019 at 05:14 AM.
Sep 27, 2019, 04:54 AM
Happy FPV flyer
TX too close to the RX? Common behavior.
Sep 27, 2019, 04:55 AM
Ardupilot Lead Testing
Quote:
TX too close to the RX? Common behavior.
No, with the rx at 100 meters is the same, and the LED on the RX remains stable green, does not like when you get too close with the tx the LED goes red, is solid green.
Ardupilot does not report any failsafe problem, and the spektrum analyzer always gives me a constant signal on the 2.4 Ghz.
The RF part doesn't seem to have any problems.
Sep 27, 2019, 04:56 AM
Happy FPV flyer
You give no detail about your setup, so it's not going to be easy to comment. A powered module in the external module slot could cause this.

Quick Reply