Aug 18, 2019, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
How old is that radio and has its RF module been updated? There was an issue with lockups at the very beginning, but that was fixed about 3 years ago.
Horus is from the first batch. iXJT has the latest firmware, using OTX 2.2.3. Doesn't seem it's the radio as rebooting it never helped, but unplugging-plugging battery in the plane fixes the problem 100%. Unless there's a bug in hoping table...
Interestingly (and lucky) all occurred on the ground: 3 X8R at the distance of 10-20m (2 - taxing back, 1 - taking off), S6R at about 50m after touch down.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2019, 03:52 AM
The locking out of the X8R (and maybe X6R) receivers is a issue that was, I understood, supposed to have been remedied (in part at least) by a receiver firmware upgrade. It has been discussed in several threads here, one is https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...is-Rx-lock-out and is limited to aircraft powered by some spark engines and EDF units.

A new receiver was produced by FRSKY to get around the issue https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-PRO-Gas-Suite.
Last edited by mpjf01; Aug 18, 2019 at 03:57 AM.
Aug 18, 2019, 04:06 AM
Yes, I'm aware of that: cpu was not rebooting rf chip after it was getting locked up by a prolonged rf noise.
My 2 lock ups out of 4 occurred at ~10% throttle, 1 at zero. In all planes esc were 20-40 cm away from rx. And there was no "low rssi" warning or jittery behavior that you would expect if plane is noisy. Just an instant connection loss.
Aug 18, 2019, 04:18 AM
GVT
GVT

FrSky Horus X12S - A new beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat
Yes, I'm aware of that: cpu was not rebooting rf chip after it was getting locked up by a prolonged rf noise.

My 2 lock ups out of 4 occurred at ~10% throttle, 1 at zero. In all planes esc were 20-40 cm away from rx. And there was no "low rssi" warning or jittery behavior that you would expect if plane is noisy. Just an instant connection loss.

I have seen this on more than one MPX escís on different brands TX/RX
Locked untill reconnection of main battery.
Solved by using a different (brand) esc
Aug 18, 2019, 02:50 PM

Lost connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVT
I have seen this on more than one MPX escís on different brands TX/RX
Locked untill reconnection of main battery.
Solved by using a different (brand) esc
How can this happen with zero throttle after touchdown? Or 10% throttle during taxi? If RF noise is the cause I'd expect jittery behavior and low rssi for a while before rf chip gives up. Also Hobbywing-Frsky is a very common combo these days but I haven't seen any posts about it.
I didn't post when it happened first times thinking on a defective rx. But 4 times in 2 years...
1st time - bad luck. 2nd - co-incidence. 3d - system. 4th - action needed.
Aug 18, 2019, 03:20 PM
I would try with external BEC - maybe ESC's feeds noise through power bus?
Aug 18, 2019, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat
How can this happen with zero throttle after touchdown? Or 10% throttle during taxi? If RF noise is the cause I'd expect jittery behavior and low rssi for a while before rf chip gives up. Also Hobbywing-Frsky is a very common combo these days but I haven't seen any posts about it.
I didn't post when it happened first times thinking on a defective rx. But 4 times in 2 years...
1st time - bad luck. 2nd - co-incidence. 3d - system. 4th - action needed.
It is conceivable that the issue is caused by your X12S but in my view unlikely if you are using the latest RF firmware, and is not the first place that I would start any investigation to identify the cause. Can you make it happen again by replicating the circumstances? Maybe after a number of tries? If you can then you may be able to identify the culprit by orderly component substitution. If you cannot then you are flying blind a bit and just have to change one thing at a time until the problem goes away. Not a great option.

The thread I linked to above actually covers two distinct issues. The first is the lockup of the receivers - that is they lock up in response to some external stimulus such as interference from spark ignition systems and do not restart when the source of the lockup goes away. This was supposed to have been fixed by FRSKY with a receiver firmware update. If you have identified a situation where this is not happening you should report it to FRSKY.

The second issue was the vulnerability of these receivers to interference in the first place, more vulnerable than some other brands. This was addressed by FRSKY with the release of a newer model 8 channel receiver designed to cope better with high interference environments.

In any case I recommend that you report the issue in the thread here that deals with it, there you will alert those with a particular interest in this matter and maybe receive more relevant assistance. There are also people there who know who to talk to in FRSKY about it.
Aug 20, 2019, 03:08 PM

Lost connection

Thank you for the thoughts.
Summarizing comments it seems:
  • All receivers do that but some suck more than others.
  • That's due to my Horus.
I've already ordered a new RF board as I also feel Horus range started to degrade and almost every day I hear "rssi low" within 400m range. It now shows RSSI ~5 less in range check than Taranis even with external antenna.
However I'm afraid the problem may also be in Frsky firmware. Recent bug fix for SxR: "Fix the issue that for some of the Rx No. ,binding is not possible" makes me think the code generating communication hash tables is an old garbage, patched every time customers report a bug.

Also it's unclear why if CC2500 or SE 2431L lose connection and the last RSSI value is high they can't get instantly restarted.
Aug 22, 2019, 09:35 AM

FrSky Horus x12s and battery calibration

Hi,

I've got a new FrSky Horus X12S and I installed on it OpenTX.
Since the battery is embedded and I can't check the voltage of it, how can I calibrate the battery voltage on the OpenTX Radio Setup?
Thanks in advance.
Andrea
Aug 22, 2019, 09:43 AM
battery voltage is available on the pins in the module bay when enabled. DO NOT SHORT BATT+ or 6V TO GROUND.
Aug 22, 2019, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew75oty
Hi,

I've got a new FrSky Horus X12S and I installed on it OpenTX.
Since the battery is embedded and I can't check the voltage of it, how can I calibrate the battery voltage on the OpenTX Radio Setup?
Thanks in advance.
Andrea
You can get the battery voltage that is very close from the pins in the external module bay. Pins 2 and 3 counting up from the bottom. Need to turn on the external module.

But super caution is needed because if you sort the pins you will have a very big mess. I use a long servo cable that is male on both ends so I can measure the voltage safely.

On the FrSky X12S download website there is a how to that has pictures of the bay and cables.

Mike
Aug 22, 2019, 09:56 AM
Thank you all for the speedy replies!
Aug 22, 2019, 10:03 AM
I have another problem with Pot S2 with detent.
After making calibration, it seems not working fine: it works just in the range from 0 to 100%, never from -100% to 0.
See pictures in attach.
Any suggestions?
Aug 22, 2019, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew75oty
I have another problem with Pot S2 with detent.
After making calibration, it seems not working fine: it works just in the range from 0 to 100%, never from -100% to 0.
See pictures in attach.
Any suggestions?
Did you turn it while calibrating from one end to the other?
Aug 22, 2019, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wema
Did you turn it while calibrating from one end to the other?
Yes, but it works just from 0 to 100.
Do you think it is broken?

Quick Reply