New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2016, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Discussion

FrSky Horus X12S - A new beginning.

Now that the Horus X12S is in production, it is time to start a new thread with the facts and details. The other threads were mostly speculation and questions that could not be answered.

I will try and maintain these first few posts with a useful index of Horus info and links.

The Basics

The Horus, also known as the X12S is a 16 channel radio that can be easily expanded to 32 channels by adding a FrSky XJT module to the rear of the radio. The 12 in the name was due to the fact that original plan was for 12 channels. Things changed, but the name stayed.

The Horus has many unique features that set it apart from most any other radio on the market. The most important one IMHO is that the user can select from the default menu driven firmware for simple ease of use, or the user can install the much more robust OpenTX 2.2 for the Horus. OpenTX is an advanced open source firmware that allows this radio virtually unlimited mixing, full assignability, scripting, and much more. If you can think it, OpenTX can do it. The OpenTX team has done a wonderful job with with the Horus version taking advantage of the beautiful color screen even OpenTX diehards will be blown away with the new features!

The other unique feature of the Horus is the JR style module bay. FrSky does not force you into using their RF system. This allows you to have one radio that can control your FrSky, UHF, Spektrum or other RF systems. With that said, the FrSky RF system is excellent, I highly recommend using it to fully enjoy the power of your new radio.

The Horus as well as all other FrSky transmitters feature "full telemetry". Nothing special to buy, it is built in! What do I mean by full telemetry? RSSI is the most critical, the system always monitors the signal strength at the receiver and reports back to the transmitter. Should you get a weak signal for any reason, the system will alert you. This saves planes! Also, we can use feedback from our sensor data in the aircraft and use that in our mixes. For example, if you are below 100 feet, drop the landing gear. A full telemetry system is both safer and more powerful.

Will add more info soon.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Rotozuk; Aug 31, 2016 at 01:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Horus hardware related subjects:

Adjusting Stick Tension

SD Card (takes a Micro SD)

Why NiMH battery?

Dragonlink Mounting Bracket (3D print your own)

Neck strap suggestions
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Rotozuk; Sep 09, 2016 at 01:54 PM.
FrTX OS is the name for the FrSky developed menu driven firmware for the Horus. It is the firmware option that your new radio will arrive with.

FrTX OS subjects:

Updating FrTX firmware.

FrTX OS dedicated thread

Configuring a simple fixed wing model with FrTX.

Programming Function Automation with FrTX.

Model Images details

FrTX sounds

FrOS Voice Replacement option
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Rotozuk; Sep 22, 2016 at 01:00 PM.
OpenTX is an open source firmware option for the FrSky radios. OpenTX is a little different than the average menu driven radio you may be used to. I like to say that OpenTX is nearly unlimited in what it can do, it is very powerful, nothing else on the radio market can come close to doing all of the things that OpenTX can do. If you can think of it, chances are a Horus with OpenTX can do it.

Some people think OpenTX is a difficult beast to tame. While it is very different from a normal menu driven radio, it is actually easier to use for complex operations than trying to do the same in a menu driven radio. If you are just doing very basic radio mixing, then a menu driven radio may be easier. It really comes down to what you want to do with your radio, and maybe how you would like it to look. If you like playing with your radio, or customizing things, then you SHOULD get OpenTX now. If you are a scale pilot that wants to do some crazy mixes for gear doors and other scale features, then you really should get OpenTX. If you are a competition pilot of almost any sort, then you should get OpenTX.

If you like menu options, and easier to understand features, then you should stick with the FrTX OS.

Open TX subjects:

Instructions for flashing OpenTX on the X12S and flashing back to FrTX.

cannot find the "Mass Storage"

Collection of files mostly for OpenTX 2.2 and newer (model pictures, sound packs, etc.)

Video Tutorial for making transparent model images.

Frsky Horus 12-S Widget exchange - Get widgets for use in OpenTX.

Generate full OpenTX voice packs of your choice.

How to display your battery level, percentage and voltage on Horus X12S with OpenTX: Video Link
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Rotozuk; Sep 20, 2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by rikybob
AMA# BR549
First!

BOOOO YA!

b
Old Aug 26, 2016, 06:40 PM
Lets try and keep this one clean..

If you have questions, or something you would like to see, please ask away.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 26, 2016, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by Doug101
Doug - AMA 2234
Thanks for a new thread.

Curious when you expect to actually have these in stock. And do you expect to initially get enough to satisfy your waiting list (I am on that list).

Love the looks and feature set.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by racermark
Thank You Sir
Mark
AMA 13502
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tarot 680 ++ Build
Old Aug 26, 2016, 07:15 PM
We have our first unit in the shop now, we have been testing and taking the photos you see in this thread. The rest of our allotment is in transit and will arrive next week. We do not have enough to fill our waiting list.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 26, 2016, 07:24 PM
Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Looks great subscribed
Old Aug 26, 2016, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by Radikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Lets try and keep this one clean..

If you have questions, or something you would like to see, please ask away.
what do you mean by clean ? don't you have enough with your own moderated thread ?

in the past few days you have censored lots of people's posts, 5 in a row of mines ( we were discussing of GetFPV warranty terms)

sorry but I think we have enough with 1 o 2 very active Frsky Horus threads.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by VRS Varmint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radikal View Post
what do you mean by clean ? don't you have enough with your own moderated thread ?

in the past few days you have censored lots of people's posts, 5 in a row of mines ( we were discussing of GetFPV warranty terms)

It's pretty clearly an attempt to garner additional business by driving traffic to yet another Horus topic with a dealer conveniently positioned as the OP. While that may not violate any RCG TOS, it is what it is, which is somewhat sleazy. I'm with you on the censorship too. Not very classy. I think the only thing one can really do is opt to post in the "dirtier" thread and hopefully see this one die. I'm sure I shall see my post disappear as well, but I shall certainly make a complaint to RCG if it does.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by canavanbob
Quote:

I think he means "clean" by not cluttering it up with GetFPV warranty terms. Start your own thread for that. I doubt that many people really care what you think.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by Radikal
Location CA. just like Aloft. he's not being objective. bye
Old Aug 26, 2016, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by scott page

Is it bright enough?

The question has been on everybody's mind since the first concept renderings of the Horus were released years ago (literally) -- would the screen be bright enough to see outside.

I was recently straining my eyes to capture a particularity rare pokemon using my iphone in the full sun and this question reared it's ugly head again in my noodle.

I did not participate in the beta program so my first moments with a Horus was today. First thing I did was to take it outside and see if I could read various screens in full sun. The answer was not only yes - but yes quite easily. This is a difficult thing to photograph because my iphone image was harder to see than the Horus screen as I took the picture - but here are two images - one with the sun right on the screen, and one with it oblique to the screen.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Old OpenTX and Taranis Videos
Old Aug 26, 2016, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by Robomort
This is a brand new product which many potential new owners would like clear and concise information on devoid of irrelevant content. We all know how threads naturally inflate with seemingly a life of their own. I for one would prefer a resource rather than a forum for petty sniping and FUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS Varmint View Post
It's pretty clearly an attempt to garner additional business by driving traffic to yet another Horus topic with a dealer conveniently positioned as the OP. While that may not violate any RCG TOS, it is what it is, which is somewhat sleazy. I'm with you on the censorship too. Not very classy. I think the only thing one can really do is opt to post in the "dirtier" thread and hopefully see this one die. I'm sure I shall see my post disappear as well, but I shall certainly make a complaint to RCG if it does.
You should be fully aware with a normal thread here on RCG only the admin staff have editing rights. Not to mention disciplinary discretion.

Quote:

Keeping it clean means showing a little self restraint from posting off topic, sniping comments and trolling.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by mbaulfinger
I'm a staunch futaba user and that screen beats my new 18sz no question. Very nice.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by jdowdle
Some at our field say that leaving your transmitter sitting out on the benches in the sun will dim the screen......not sure if this is true, but I am wondering if this Horus screen technology is susceptible to permanent impairment from heat or prolonged direct sunlight?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 08:53 PM

First impression

My first impression with this radio is that it feel delicious. Construction feels solid, switches are superlative with very crisp positions. The gimbals are just amazing silky smooth.

To be fair there are a couple things I've become aware of.

The gimbals are M4 thread. Just for reference, Futaba are M3 and JR/Spec are M2. That said - custom stick ends such as fatties for thumb flyers or contoured for pinchers won't fit. Certainly not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination. I imagine my first job will be fitting up some banjo tuning heads with M4 threads.

The transmitter doesn't appear to be able to fit any currently available tray systems. First look it appears the handle will remove fairly easily so a tray should be able fitted and bolted to the hard spots for the handle. I'd guess FrSky will have a tray solution released "soon".

The FrOS does not have much in the way of special functions. The menu system of OpenTX is relatively intuitive, but it feels limiting after using OpenTX.
In fact - after looking @ OpenTX 2.2 I think it's unfortunate that FrSky spent time and money developing FrOS as I'd imagine most savvy users will toss it immediately in favor of OpenTX. To make matters more murky the less than savvy users who want OpenTX will have many questions about which version, how to do it - what voice package - etc etc etc. And once again there will be support issues. Of course FrSky won't support functionality aspects for transmitters with other than the stock firmware - and neither will dealers. Had FrSky spent money and time doing what they do best (developing hardware) and let the developers do what they do best - then there would have been a marriage made in heaven. Such is life. History repeats itself.

I'll likely make a video with a look through FrOS for people curious. Version 1.2.04 is what is currently shipping. There are already known bugs such as throttle cut and the lack of channel overides in special functions makes a work around impossible at this time.

Ok - the hardware is amazing - simply amazing. I can't say enough positive about the hardware. The firmware needs to be replaced with OpenTX in my opinion. I seriously doubt FrSky will dump FrOS as they seem bound and determined to make their own interface. (scratching head).

These are only first impressions. I've yet to do anything but sit on the couch and "play" so far -- but I'm ready to put up foamy with it tomorrow - except we have high wind forecast.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2016, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
AKA 8178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaulfinger View Post
I'm a staunch futaba user and that screen beats my new 18sz no question. Very nice.
To fully grasp how stunning the production system color screen is you've got to see it first hand. I thought my pre-beta screen was pretty bright but FrSky somehow made the production even brighter.

Unfortunately it is imposable to photograph because the camera lens goes nuts.

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2016, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post
To fully grasp how stunning the production system color screen is you've got to see it first hand. I thought my pre-beta screen was pretty bright but FrSky somehow made the production even brighter.

Unfortunately it is imposable to photograph because the camera lens goes nuts.

Mike
Yes -- this is very true. My photos show it's readable - but they don't show how stunning it is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2016, 09:05 PM
I urge early adopters to thoroughly under stand the changes to the way FrTX handles failsafe conditions with X series receivers. Failsafe conditions are set on a per model basis on the TX and will override settings on the RX made in the old fashion manner.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 09:07 PM
Scott I'd appreciate a photo of the case back and feet. Intrigued to see what FrSky have changed from the Beta radios. I know you are a fan of heavier gimbal springs. The Betas were Taranis light. How are you finding the release spec springs?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robomort View Post
Scott I'd appreciate a photo of the case back and feet. Intrigued to see what FrSky have changed from the Beta radios.
Not sure exactly what you're looking for -- but these might help?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2016, 09:16 PM
Thanks Scott. Beta testers asked for a means of adjusting the gimbals without opening the case. It looks like FrSky have provided holes and plugs. The rubber feet should also have a wedge shape to them now if my interpretation of the changes are correct.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Scott I'd appreciate a photo of the case back and feet. Intrigued to see what FrSky have changed from the Beta radios. I know you are a fan of heavier gimbal springs. The Betas were Taranis light. How are you finding the release spec springs?
Here are a few more.

I found the gimbals absolutely perfect as a first impression. I'll really know better when I'm flying with them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by dbar101219
can someone tell me which frsky receivers will work with the horus

thanks dale
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
AKA 8178
For folks interested in flashing their X12S with OpenTX 2.2 I'm updating my X12S flashing document so it covers the flashing process for the production system. Because of the flash memory drive in the production system the process is a little bit different than it was for the beta systems.

We are using a public section in Rocket Chat for our OpenTX 2.2.X discussions here https://opentx.rocket.chat/channel/OpenTX_General

I hope to test my flashing process tomorrow and get the document ready ASAP. I'll be adding the full flashing process for FrTX that was not public before.

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Plane Fanatic
As I just said on rocket.chat "Love your work!"
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:30 PM
Find More Posts by kuroguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowdle View Post
Some at our field say that leaving your transmitter sitting out on the benches in the sun will dim the screen......not sure if this is true, but I am wondering if this Horus screen technology is susceptible to permanent impairment from heat or prolonged direct sunlight?
Heating an lcd display will cause it to turn completely dark until it cools. Don't want it dark, don't let it get too hot. Doesn't matter whose lcd either.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by jdowdle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroguy View Post
Heating an lcd display will cause it to turn completely dark until it cools. Don't want it dark, don't let it get too hot. Doesn't matter whose lcd either.
thanks, is there permanent damage?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:32 PM
How long are the waiting lists at the major suppliers and most importantly, how long is the expected time for those vendors to clear those waiting lists?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowdle View Post
thanks, is there permanent damage?
Nope. Once the lcd cools it returns to normal.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by choochoo22
Rick
I once had an LCD display for a backup camera in an RV that was parked (by the service shop) so that the sun hit it every day for a couple of weeks. The display worked but was never the same again. Since then I have considered it a bad idea to leave any LCD exposed to the sun for long periods. I normally either set my tx down face down or set a hat or wing over it.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post
For folks interested in flashing their X12S with OpenTX 2.2 I'm updating my X12S flashing document so it covers the flashing process for the production system. Because of the flash memory drive in the production system the process is a little bit different than it was for the beta systems.

We are using a public section in Rocket Chat for our OpenTX 2.2.X discussions here https://opentx.rocket.chat/channel/OpenTX_General

I hope to test my flashing process tomorrow and get the document ready ASAP. I'll be adding the full flashing process for FrTX that was not public before.

Mike
Thanks so much Mike!! You rock.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
I once had an LCD display for a backup camera in an RV that was parked (by the service shop) so that the sun hit it every day for a couple of weeks. The display worked but was never the same again. Since then I have considered it a bad idea to leave any LCD exposed to the sun for long periods. I normally either set my tx down face down or set a hat or wing over it.
Horus comes with an exceedingly nice case that would protect it from the sun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:20 PM
Quote:
.... Beta testers asked for a means of adjusting the gimbals without opening the case. It looks like FrSky have provided holes and plugs. .
The 4 holes in my picture don't appear to be linked to gimbal tension. Mike or Wayne can chime in on this - but the screws and locations relative to the gimbals don't look encouraging. Sorry.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by andytransonic
I predict this thread will be even bigger than the Taranis one
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:38 PM
Plane Fanatic
I predict it will become the largest on RCG
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:08 AM
Plane Fanatic
FrSky website has a Buy Now link on the front page - it goes to a new page showing the Premium dealers
http://www.frsky-rc.com/buynow.html
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:09 AM

Horus Stock Firmware

These are the first 4 screens when you start the Horus. You navigate to the screens using the page up and page down button on the bottom left side - adjacent to the small thumb joy stick.

I'll give you a few screens not to tease but give a flavor for what the transmitter looks like with stock firmware. If more examples are desired I can do that.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Aug 27, 2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:11 AM

Horus Stock Firmware

This is the screen you see when pressing the SYS button on the bottom right section of the transmitter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:13 AM

Horus Stock Firmware

These are the three model setup screens. You choose the item you want using the rotary encoder wheel and press the button in the center to enter the menu of that item.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:13 AM
Find More Posts by T-CAT
Loves Lasagna
Man oh man, that screen is incredible. The Horus has been the type of transmitter I've wanted from the start as I wanted a higher end radio with a better screen and color, better hardware, and still be able to use OpenTX. I love my Taranis, but have been waiting for this radio from the start.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by andytransonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
The 4 holes in my picture don't appear to be linked to gimbal tension. Mike or Wayne can chime in on this - but the screws and locations relative to the gimbals don't look encouraging. Sorry.
In one of your rear view pics I can see 3 little plugs. I guess there are 4 but the angle of your pic shows 3.

These look like little raised protrusions tangential to and on either side of the handle frame.

Could these be rubber plugs you pry out with your nails to expose gimbal adjusting screw holes ?

I could be wrong and these could be molded protrusions as part of the manufacturing process.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by N410DC
Traranisaurus TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaulfinger View Post
Score 1-0 vs. the $1,100 400 pound gorilla! The 18sz is indeed a fine transmitter, but it's nice to see the Horus drawing first blood. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
... I think it's unfortunate that FrSky spent time and money developing FrOS as I'd imagine most savvy users will toss it immediately in favor of OpenTX. To make matters more murky the less than savvy users who want OpenTX will have many questions about which version, how to do it - what voice package - etc etc etc. And once again there will be support issues. Of course FrSky won't support functionality aspects for transmitters with other than the stock firmware - and neither will dealers. Had FrSky spent money and time doing what they do best (developing hardware) and let the developers do what they do best - then there would have been a marriage made in heaven. Such is life. History repeats itself.
I agree, "... most savvy users will toss it immediately in favor of OpenTX." However, from FrSky's standpoint, I think the new propitiatory OS was critical. When it comes to how may units can be sold, The Taranis never was, and never will be, able to take on Futaba, Spketrum, JR, Graupner, et. al. Few people here will argue that the OpenTX software is the most versatile interface in the R/C hobby industry. Although this point has been debated ad nauseam in other threads, the fact remains that many people avoid the OpenTX systems simply because they believe that the interface is too bothersome to deal with. Most people who are reading this, and who end up with a Horus, will probably wind up using OpenTX. However, some people who would not buy the Taranis due to its perceived complexity will get the Horus, and stick with the FrSky OS. These individuals will not miss the shortcomings regarding special functions, voice packs, etc., because they don't know, or care about, these features in the first place.

Forget about OpenTX for a moment, and consider this question: how does the FrSky OS compare to the software in the Futaba/Spketrum/Graupner lineups (in the $500 range?) Think in terms of simplicity and versatility. If the FrSky OS can hold its own against these interfaces, then the Hours just might be a real mainstream competitor. I cannot begin to answer this question, as I have not yet seen the Horus, and have never used modern transmitters from other manufacturers, aside from the Futaba 7C.

Despite the intense efforts FrSky put into the Beta program for the FrSky OS, there was no way they would get it perfect the first time around. Now that the Horus is making its way into the hands of many more modelers, things that the Beta team might have overlooked (in addition to the problems that have already been discovered) can be addressed. Assuming that the OS can be easily updated when new versions are launched, this problem will resolve itself. It's just a matter of how fast FrSky can launch updates and bug fixes. Of course, we'll have to wait and see how long it takes them to do this. Bottom line: I think the FrSky OS will be a lot more robust a year from now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:15 AM
Find More Posts by Noircogi
Just FYI Scott. You can assign a special function to a switch to do screen grabs so you don't need to take pictures of the screen.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi View Post
Just FYI Scott. You can assign a special function to a switch to do screen grabs so you don't need to take pictures of the screen.
LOL. I'm such a noob with this. Not being part of the beta gives me the new user feel - but it does leave me a bit behind the curve.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andytransonic View Post
In one of your rear view pics I can see 3 little plugs. I guess there are 4 but the angle of your pic shows 3.

These look like little raised protrusions tangential to and on either side of the handle frame.

Could these be rubber plugs you pry out with your nails to expose gimbal adjusting screw holes ?

I could be wrong and these could be molded protrusions as part of the manufacturing process.

Ahhh... I see what you are talking about.

They don't want to fall out - but are not difficult to remove. They snap in place when put back. Not rubber but hard plastic.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by harborflyer
SUBED

Ross