FrSky Horus X12S - A new beginning. - RC Groups
Aug 26, 2016, 05:32 PM
Discussion

FrSky Horus X12S - A new beginning.

Now that the Horus X12S is in production, it is time to start a new thread with the facts and details. The other threads were mostly speculation and questions that could not be answered.

I will try and maintain these first few posts with a useful index of Horus info and links.

The Basics

The Horus, also known as the X12S is a 16 channel radio that can be easily expanded to 32 channels by adding a FrSky XJT module to the rear of the radio. The 12 in the name was due to the fact that original plan was for 12 channels. Things changed, but the name stayed.

The Horus has many unique features that set it apart from most any other radio on the market. The most important one IMHO is that the user can select from the default menu driven firmware for simple ease of use, or the user can install the much more robust OpenTX 2.2 for the Horus. OpenTX is an advanced open source firmware that allows this radio virtually unlimited mixing, full assignability, scripting, and much more. If you can think it, OpenTX can do it. The OpenTX team has done a wonderful job with with the Horus version taking advantage of the beautiful color screen even OpenTX diehards will be blown away with the new features!

The other unique feature of the Horus is the JR style module bay. FrSky does not force you into using their RF system. This allows you to have one radio that can control your FrSky, UHF, Spektrum or other RF systems. With that said, the FrSky RF system is excellent, I highly recommend using it to fully enjoy the power of your new radio.

The Horus as well as all other FrSky transmitters feature "full telemetry". Nothing special to buy, it is built in! What do I mean by full telemetry? RSSI is the most critical, the system always monitors the signal strength at the receiver and reports back to the transmitter. Should you get a weak signal for any reason, the system will alert you. This saves planes! Also, we can use feedback from our sensor data in the aircraft and use that in our mixes. For example, if you are below 100 feet, drop the landing gear. A full telemetry system is both safer and more powerful.

Will add more info soon.
Last edited by Rotozuk; Aug 31, 2016 at 12:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Horus hardware related subjects:

Adjusting Stick Tension

SD Card (takes a Micro SD)

Why NiMH battery?

Dragonlink Mounting Bracket (3D print your own)

Neck strap suggestions
Last edited by Rotozuk; Sep 09, 2016 at 12:54 PM.
OpenTX is an open source firmware option for the FrSky radios. OpenTX is a little different than the average menu driven radio you may be used to. I like to say that OpenTX is nearly unlimited in what it can do, it is very powerful, nothing else on the radio market can come close to doing all of the things that OpenTX can do. If you can think of it, chances are a Horus with OpenTX can do it.

Some people think OpenTX is a difficult beast to tame. While it is very different from a normal menu driven radio, it is actually easier to use for complex operations than trying to do the same in a menu driven radio. If you are just doing very basic radio mixing, then a menu driven radio may be easier. It really comes down to what you want to do with your radio, and maybe how you would like it to look. If you like playing with your radio, or customizing things, then you SHOULD get OpenTX now. If you are a scale pilot that wants to do some crazy mixes for gear doors and other scale features, then you really should get OpenTX. If you are a competition pilot of almost any sort, then you should get OpenTX.

If you like menu options, and easier to understand features, then you should stick with the FrTX OS.

Open TX subjects:

Instructions for flashing OpenTX on the X12S and flashing back to FrTX.

cannot find the "Mass Storage"

Collection of files mostly for OpenTX 2.2 and newer (model pictures, sound packs, etc.)

Video Tutorial for making transparent model images.

Frsky Horus 12-S Widget exchange - Get widgets for use in OpenTX.

Generate full OpenTX voice packs of your choice.

How to display your battery level, percentage and voltage on Horus X12S with OpenTX: Video Link
Last edited by Rotozuk; Sep 20, 2016 at 11:00 AM.
Aug 26, 2016, 05:38 PM
AMA# BR549
First!

BOOOO YA!

b
Aug 26, 2016, 05:40 PM
Lets try and keep this one clean..

If you have questions, or something you would like to see, please ask away.
Aug 26, 2016, 06:03 PM
Doug - AMA 2234
Thanks for a new thread.

Curious when you expect to actually have these in stock. And do you expect to initially get enough to satisfy your waiting list (I am on that list).

Love the looks and feature set.
Aug 26, 2016, 06:14 PM
Thank You Sir
Mark
AMA 13502
Latest blog entry: Tarot 680 ++ Build
Aug 26, 2016, 06:15 PM
We have our first unit in the shop now, we have been testing and taking the photos you see in this thread. The rest of our allotment is in transit and will arrive next week. We do not have enough to fill our waiting list.

-Wayne
Aug 26, 2016, 06:24 PM
Looks great subscribed
Aug 26, 2016, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Lets try and keep this one clean..

If you have questions, or something you would like to see, please ask away.
what do you mean by clean ? don't you have enough with your own moderated thread ?

in the past few days you have censored lots of people's posts, 5 in a row of mines ( we were discussing of GetFPV warranty terms)

sorry but I think we have enough with 1 o 2 very active Frsky Horus threads.
Aug 26, 2016, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radikal
what do you mean by clean ? don't you have enough with your own moderated thread ?

in the past few days you have censored lots of people's posts, 5 in a row of mines ( we were discussing of GetFPV warranty terms)

It's pretty clearly an attempt to garner additional business by driving traffic to yet another Horus topic with a dealer conveniently positioned as the OP. While that may not violate any RCG TOS, it is what it is, which is somewhat sleazy. I'm with you on the censorship too. Not very classy. I think the only thing one can really do is opt to post in the "dirtier" thread and hopefully see this one die. I'm sure I shall see my post disappear as well, but I shall certainly make a complaint to RCG if it does.
Aug 26, 2016, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radikal

I think he means "clean" by not cluttering it up with GetFPV warranty terms. Start your own thread for that. I doubt that many people really care what you think.
Aug 26, 2016, 07:07 PM
Location CA. just like Aloft. he's not being objective. bye
Aug 26, 2016, 07:18 PM

Is it bright enough?

The question has been on everybody's mind since the first concept renderings of the Horus were released years ago (literally) -- would the screen be bright enough to see outside.

I was recently straining my eyes to capture a particularity rare pokemon using my iphone in the full sun and this question reared it's ugly head again in my noodle.

I did not participate in the beta program so my first moments with a Horus was today. First thing I did was to take it outside and see if I could read various screens in full sun. The answer was not only yes - but yes quite easily. This is a difficult thing to photograph because my iphone image was harder to see than the Horus screen as I took the picture - but here are two images - one with the sun right on the screen, and one with it oblique to the screen.