New Spektrum DSMX Quad Race Serial Receiver with Telemetry (SPM4649T) - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 29, 2016, 08:31 AM
Very true. Just a week or so ago I saw a quad set up by someone that most would consider a "pro." He had cut the antennas, then re-trimmed them to a much longer active area than they should have had. The plastic coating was nicked from where they were against the sharp edges of the CF frame, and one was kinked so badly it wouldn't straighten. Why did I see it? "Your system sucks - it has no range." Well, duh, nothing has range when you have it like that. Corrected, that quad has great range now.

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2016, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem
Knowing how to fly does not mean that they know how to build properly and place the receiver. Not assuming anything, by the way.
The mention the poor range of the sats... Stingersswarm also had drop outs...

These guys can fly hell. yeah but the also have enough knowledge to setup stuff.
And the all fly taranis now, and have great range.
But anyways its getting a pointless discussion. I love the new telemetry developments!!!!

Perhaps spektrum can develop a antenna mod for better range (Taranis has a 5dbi mod)
Aug 29, 2016, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Perhaps spektrum can develop a antenna mod for better range (Taranis has a 5dbi mod)
This show me that you have no clue about HF. Higher antenna gain cause a narrower anntenna diagramm with bold zeros.
The problem with FPV is that some of you fly behind of you and to low in the fresnel zone.
Aug 29, 2016, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga
This show me that you have no clue about HF. Higher antenna gain cause a narrower anntenna diagramm with bold zeros.
The problem with FPV is that some of you fly behind of you and to low in the fresnel zone.
I dont... I only point out that it seems to be that other parties make product with better range
Aug 29, 2016, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm1983
So ummagwad, finalglide and steele are idiots... Sorry these guys are the crème da la creme
No, they are not idiots and it's not what anybody here is trying to imply. Between Spektrum and Taranis, there is a trade-off between range and latency. Spektrum gets lower latency, but admittedly less range. Taranis gets higher latency but better range. So our protocol might appeal more to the racing crowd. That and we have better quality radios.

This is not to say that spektrum range is bad, but you will have to be a bit more considerate of how you place your antennas on your quad in relation to your vtx placement, as well as avoiding placing the antennas in a way that the carbon fiber of your quad will block their LoS from where you're located. Taking all these things into consideration, you can get good range.

When Andy says you can get up to 2 miles of range, he's referring to plane examples. Something simple such as an AR610 with no remote receiver (sat) has made it this far, but of course you have much better antenna separation. You probably wont achieve this range with a quad.

I've personally never had a lockout during a race, but to each their own. There may be people that complain about our range, but there are many others that don't and are happy with our products.

With that set aside, lets get back on topic.
The range on this receiver is what you'd expect of other Spektrum receivers, but it may be more robust in some aspects such as antenna diversity, and using 5V for power. Since it regulates 3.3V locally, it should iron out any issues that may have been caused by the wide variety of 3.3v regulators on different flight controllers.
Aug 29, 2016, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelAlvarez
No, they are not idiots and it's not what anybody here is trying to imply. Between Spektrum and Taranis, there is a trade-off between range and latency. Spektrum gets lower latency, but admittedly less range. Taranis gets higher latency but better range. So our protocol might appeal more to the racing crowd. That and we have better quality radios.

This is not to say that spektrum range is bad, but you will have to be a bit more considerate of how you place your antennas on your quad in relation to your vtx placement, as well as avoiding placing the antennas in a way that the carbon fiber of your quad will block their LoS from where you're located. Taking all these things into consideration, you can get good range.

When Andy says you can get up to 2 miles of range, he's referring to plane examples. Something simple such as an AR610 with no remote receiver (sat) has made it this far, but of course you have much better antenna separation. You probably wont achieve this range with a quad.

I've personally never had a lockout during a race, but to each their own. There may be people that complain about our range, but there are many others that don't and are happy with our products.

With that set aside, lets get back on topic.
The range on this receiver is what you'd expect of other Spektrum receivers, but it may be more robust in some aspects such as antenna diversity, and using 5V for power. Since it regulates 3.3V locally, it should iron out any issues that may have been caused by the wide variety of 3.3v regulators on different flight controllers.
Best anwser and info!! Thanks

Will order them when available
Aug 30, 2016, 06:27 AM

Kiss FC

Hope you can help me, you say that the receiver has one wire for signal and telemetry. The kiss fc has one Port for signal then a second for telemetry output. If the signal and telemetry is on the same wire Would I be able to get this receiver to work with the kiss?
Aug 30, 2016, 06:39 AM
You need a custom Firmware for the new RX. The protocol is probably soon released and the FC mgfs and the community will integrate the protocoll sooner or later.
Aug 30, 2016, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boland684
Hope you can help me, you say that the receiver has one wire for signal and telemetry. The kiss fc has one Port for signal then a second for telemetry output. If the signal and telemetry is on the same wire Would I be able to get this receiver to work with the kiss?
Kiss FC hardware is compatible, but the serial protocol will need to be integrated in the firmware to support it. Once thats done, the esc telemetry can be passed through to the receiver
Aug 30, 2016, 10:39 AM
Quote:
... and using 5V for power. Since it regulates 3.3V locally, it should iron out any issues that may have been caused by the wide variety of 3.3v regulators on different flight controllers.
so it won't run off 3.3v? that is pretty annoying as people that use the sats don't always have 5v. that's one of the beauties of the little satellite rxs - no extra regulator just to run the rx!
Aug 30, 2016, 10:45 AM
One of the issues we have identified is the very poor regulation of 3.3V dramatically affects range. Putting the 3V regulator on the board provides improved, consistent performance.

Andy
Aug 30, 2016, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
so it won't run off 3.3v? that is pretty annoying as people that use the sats don't always have 5v. that's one of the beauties of the little satellite rxs - no extra regulator just to run the rx!
If people that run sats dont have 5V, what do they have? where is the 3.3V on the flight controller being regulated from? Unless you're talking about 1s micros?

With telemetry being thrown into the equation, the receiver is drawing more power and we cant rely on the 3.3V regulator of the flight controller to power the receiver anymore, because some of them are spec'ed pretty low. Also as Andy said, this provides a more consistent power supply to the receiver which is less reliant on whether or not the 3.3V regulator on the FC is adequate for the job. A lot of people are actually very happy that this runs off 5V now.

Miguel
Aug 30, 2016, 11:01 AM
Quote:
If people that run sats dont have 5V, what do they have? where is the 3.3V on the flight controller being regulated from? Unless you're talking about 1s micros?
wide range regulators that run off the battery.
Aug 30, 2016, 11:03 AM
Quote:
With telemetry being thrown into the equation, the receiver is drawing more power and we cant rely on the 3.3V regulator of the flight controller to power the receiver anymore, because some of them are spec'ed pretty low.
ok, that's fair enough.
Aug 30, 2016, 12:01 PM
Andy, I just noticed that this great RX is not in EU web site: http://www.horizonhobby.de/ , and not in EU dealers database ( I have a friend with LHS here ) , so far every Spektrum product was released in both at the same time. Should we be concerned about not getting hands on SPM4649T in EU ?