New Spektrum DSMX Quad Race Serial Receiver with Telemetry (SPM4649T) - Page 101 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 30, 2017, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayar
But that's beside the point for me. At the current price of $40 that I'm paying for the 4649T I doubt I'll be buying any more X4Rs.
Love clip on antennas as well and I do agree, I am fine with paying more than the orange stuff, it's just nuts how big of a price difference there is with the US price of the SPM4649T (40$) and what HorizonHobby is making us pay here (60$)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2017, 05:31 PM
They released new FW in March for the X4R, was to stop RF issues apparently.

But i'm starting to hear stories of recently purchased X4R rx's going into failsafe after being powered up for a short while. One guy i have heard from bought 8 and put a couple into his models and went off to the F3K world champs where they nearly cost him both of his models. He says all 8 are going straight back to the vendor once he gets back home. Not sure if the stories are getting out there yet or if the Frsky crowd are just staying very quiet as i have seen no reports even about the FW that was released in March and obviously needed.

At least with Spektrum (on a whole) you guys and your models are not the beta testers.
Jul 30, 2017, 08:57 PM
The heli guys that had the SPM4649T let the smoke out might not agree with you.
Jul 30, 2017, 09:07 PM
Guys, move the non-Spektrum elsewhere please. Thanks.

Andy
Jul 30, 2017, 09:48 PM

Has anyone else seen this?

UPDATE: This turned out to be a bug totally unrelated to the receiver

I took this new 4649T build out again this evening to adjust the tune and tweak the frequency of the telemetry reporting. I was alternating between this quad and one other giving each time to cool between packs.

Every time I switched back from my second quad to the one with the 4649T I had to turn the transmitter off and back on again before the transmitter would communicate with the receiver. I never had to re-bind, I just had to cycle the transmitter power.

I've had the DX9 for two years and I've only seen this once before--and that was when I did my first build that used a 4648 receiver. I destroyed that receiver (and most of the quad) in an impressive high speed meeting with a concrete alley so I deleted the model and forgot about it.

It took me a little while today to figure it out but now that I know why it's doing it I see that it happens every time I switch from another model. And I see that simply cycling the DX9's power fixes it every time.

I don't know if it matters but I created this model by copying another model still on the transmitter using Model Utilities. I renamed the newly copied model and configured it like I do every model. It only occurs when I switch from another model to this 4649T model--switching to others from this model works fine.

I already validated the model files using Model Utilities. There are only about 12-15 models on the radio.

Is this tied to this 4649T receiver in some way?

I forgot to mention that I always switched models in the transmitter before plugging the lipo into the quad and turning the receiver on.
Last edited by jayar; Aug 02, 2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added comment.
Jul 30, 2017, 09:58 PM
You forgot to tell us what firmware version you have running on your DX9 and what what telemetry element you have reporting on.

If you're talking about pack voltage on 1.11 (or whatever was before 1.20 beta) then got to Min/Max screen and press Clear.
If I was you I would just move to 1.20 beta though.

Quote:
I took this new 4649T build out again this evening to adjust the tune and tweak the frequency of the telemetry reporting. I was alternating between this quad and one other giving each time to cool between packs.

Every time I switched back from my second quad to the one with the 4649T I had to turn the transmitter off and back on again before the transmitter would communicate with the receiver. I never had to re-bind, I just had to cycle the transmitter power.

I've had the DX9 for two years and I've only seen this once before--and that was when I did my first build that used a 4648 receiver. I destroyed that receiver (and most of the quad) in an impressive high speed meeting with a concrete alley so I deleted the model and forgot about it.

It took me a little while today to figure it out but now that I know why it's doing it I see that it happens every time I switch from another model. And I see that simply cycling the DX9's power fixes it every time.

I don't know if it matters but I created this model by copying another model still on the transmitter using Model Utilities. I renamed the newly copied model and configured it like I do every model. It only occurs when I switch from another model to this 4649T model--switching to others from this model works fine.

I already validated the model files using Model Utilities. There are only about 12-15 models on the radio.

Is this tied to this 4649T receiver in some way?

I forgot to mention that I always switched models in the transmitter before plugging the lipo into the quad and turning the receiver on.
Jul 30, 2017, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp
You forgot to tell us what firmware version you have running on your DX9 and what what telemetry element you have reporting on.

If you're talking about pack voltage on 1.11 (or whatever was before 1.20 beta) then got to Min/Max screen and press Clear.
If I was you I would just move to 1.20 beta though.
I'm running 1.20 now but the last time was the prior version. I might not be explaining this clearly.

The quad with the 4649T is a Chameleon. The second quad today was an Armadillo with a Lemon RX.

Each time I switched from the Armadillo model on the transmitter to the Chameleon transmitter model I had to cycle transmitter power before the Chameleon/4649T would respond to radio commands.

The Armadillo doesn't use any kind of telemetry.

Are you saying that not clearing a telemetry warning could be responsible?
Jul 30, 2017, 11:34 PM
The bigger question is why do you have multiple models? Are they so different? I personally just have 1 model slot to which I bind all my quads.

And, unless I do not understand something, when you switch models you should not need to power cycle the radio, I never do.

Quote:
I'm running 1.20 now but the last time was the prior version. I might not be explaining this clearly.

The quad with the 4649T is a Chameleon. The second quad today was an Armadillo with a Lemon RX.

Each time I switched from the Armadillo model on the transmitter to the Chameleon transmitter model I had to cycle transmitter power before the Chameleon/4649T would respond to radio commands.

The Armadillo doesn't use any kind of telemetry.

Are you saying that not clearing a telemetry warning could be responsible?
Last edited by sbstnp; Jul 30, 2017 at 11:46 PM.
Jul 31, 2017, 12:18 AM
Quote:
The bigger question is why do you have multiple models? Are they so different? I personally just have 1 model slot to which I bind all my quads.

And, unless I do not understand something, when you switch models you should not need to power cycle the radio, I never do.
'

Well, where to start?

I have quads, tricopters, and helicopters on this radio. The tricopters and helicopters are totally different but you already know that.

Some of my big quads are still in Baseflight, I have a couple on Cleanflight, two on Raceflight and the rest are Betaflight.

I have a few Blade micro quads with their own special modes and settings. Not all of my regular quads use the same throttle end-points nor are all channels directions the same. Come to think of it the stick end-points are slightly different on almost all the quads because I adjust them each time I setup a new quad. And some have more modes than others. I have throttle-cut setup on a couple. And a few have high, med, and low expo settings (the big ones and the ones I let friends learn on).

I also have at least 6 different brands and models of receivers. Some old ones still use PWM along with the newer serial connections (Spektrum's version of SBUS or PPM). I also use both DSMX and DSM2.

And now, a couple of them are setup for telemetry but one is Raceflight and one is Betaflight so the telemetry fields being reported are different for each.

That's just off the top of my head....

I understand I shouldn't have to cycle power when changing models. That's what my original question was about.

I don't think I'm stating the problem or my question very well. My fault.
Jul 31, 2017, 01:41 AM
I figured out what is happening while changing models but not why. For now I still need to cycle power on the transmitter to get it working when switching models.

First off, it's not transmitter 4649T receiver related so I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here but I'll write it up in the AirWare 1.20 beta thread, although it may have been in the previous version too.

Briefly:
- In a fairly recent AirWare update an aircraft or model type for multirotor was added (before that we used heli or airplane when setting up a quad).
- I have quads setup using the helicopter aircraft type from before the update.
- Today I was flying two quads. One setup before multirotor was introduced and the new quad that's setup as a multirotor.
- The old type called the throttle stick "throttle" in end-point settings.
- The new type calls the throttle stick "altitude" in end-point settings.
- When switching from old model type to new model type the end-point settings for the newer throttle stick are getting screwed up.
- The result is you can't put throttle to zero after you change models and if your quad is set not to arm if throttle above 10% or whatever you'll never be able to arm the quad.
- Cycling power fixes it.
Last edited by jayar; Jul 31, 2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Fixed mistake
Jul 31, 2017, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Baseflight
Now that's something I haven't heard about in years just like MultiWii (and I still have a very small wooden tricopter running a NanoWii board with a Spektrum sat - old pic that was an Orange sat I think ...)
Jul 31, 2017, 01:50 AM
To me it sounds like that smoke was Spektrum started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey
The heli guys that had the SPM4649T let the smoke out might not agree with you.
Did not hear of that, can you tell us more about it? Normally Heli guys don't run out of range so I am honestly interested what the problem was...

Quote:
Now that's something I haven't heard about in years just like MultiWii (and I still have a very small wooden tricopter running a NanoWii board with a Spektrum sat - old pic that was an Orange sat I think ...)
Yeah, BaseFlight was so weak IMO, I tried it and went back to OpenPilot <3
Jul 31, 2017, 03:56 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro

Did not hear of that, can you tell us more about it?....
The first batch had a fault, at least some of them did. Some got fried cause they did not handle the 8.4V or whatever it was the original spec.

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/S...rodID=SPM4649T
Jul 31, 2017, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Yeah, I'm afraid to touch the setup on that one. It's a larger (350mm) quad that flies beautifully. I didn't want to move it to Cleanflight or Betaflight and be forced to re-tune, I have tricopters that are the same way--running Baseflight or early beta Triflight. A little more difficult to tune because of that tail servo so once they're good I have no reason to update the firmware.

This whole transmitter thing was caused by Baseflight/Cleanflight/Betaflight expecting 2000ms of stick movement and the throttle stick limiter wedges that Spektrum provides (and that I love) that reduce physical throttle travel, with the result being internally it's approximately 1680ms.

Until the last few versions of Betaflight I simply tweaked the throttle endpoints in the transmitter itself. Now I use the rxrange Betaflight CLI command of rxrange 3 1160 1840 to adjust throttle travel endpoint values. The other three stick values with full travel are:

rxrange 0 1000 2000
rxrange 1 1000 2000
rxrange 2 1000 2000

The result is that I have a mix of transmitter models, some with wonky throttle end-points and others with default values. Not wanting to re-tune I never updated the Betaflight version or the endpoints. Late last night I created a new model for the older quad using the rxrange command so that now when I switch to a newer model it doesn't matter if those end-points get reset. It worked fine. Maybe at some point I'll update a few more models with the new rxrange values.... or maybe not. It's not a problem now that I know the cause.

Anyway, the important thing for this thread is that it had nothing to do with the 4649T receiver. It just happened by chance that when I was flying yesterday I grabbed a second quad with the old, pre-"multirotor" model type that had the throttle endpoint values modified in the transmitter, and because I always set my quads so they won't arm if the throttle is above zero. In this case, because those end-points weren't being reset when I changed models in the transmitter, the minimum throttle range possible was 1160 instead of the expected 1000 so there's no way it was ever going to arm. Cycling transmitter power and the end-points are correct again.

The only reason I'm posting the followups in this thread are because I want to make sure it's clear that it's not a receiver problem--I don't want people glancing through the thread and seeing my earlier posts and starting a rumor that there's a bug in the 4649T regarding older models, because there's not.
Jul 31, 2017, 01:01 PM
Oh no theres a failsafe bug?