Aug 12, 2019, 07:30 AM
Culper Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
I get a little spooked of RWY’s less than 3000’.
You need to expand your experience! I used to tow and fly gliders out of Slatington airport in east PA. For convenience and to save our backs pulling, on the last flight of the day we landed the gliders across the runway and rolled into their tie down spots.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2019, 09:20 AM
I soloed on a 2500' runway surrounded by trees. Alas, that airport is now a shopping center. So it goes with small local airports.

{QUOTE=Bell47G2;42500327]I get a little spooked of RWY’s less than 3000’.[/QUOTE]
Aug 12, 2019, 10:10 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
You need to expand your experience! I used to tow and fly gliders out of Slatington airport in east PA. For convenience and to save our backs pulling, on the last flight of the day we landed the gliders across the runway and rolled into their tie down spots.
I BET that was fun!!!
Aug 12, 2019, 10:11 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg
I soloed on a 2500' runway surrounded by trees. Alas, that airport is now a shopping center. So it goes with small local airports.

{QUOTE=Bell47G2;42500327]I get a little spooked of RWY’s less than 3000’.
[/QUOTE]

My heart would probably stop, once passed the threshold, until touchdown.
Aug 12, 2019, 10:53 AM
It was even more fun than you realize because the runway rose from one end, then dipped and rose again to the other end. And there was a tall tree directly in line with the runway about 1/3 of a mile out. I'm not sure of the distance but on a warm day, you might need to gently steer around it! This was Woodbridge Airport in Woodbridge, VA, affectionately known as Woodbridge International. On my first dual x-country, we landed at Dulles International. In those days, they didn't see a lot of traffic so were even glad to see a Cessna 150 on a training flight. I used it as a corner on my first solo x-country. The taxi-ways were much bigger than the runway I was used to.

My heart would probably stop, once passed the threshold, until touchdown.[/QUOTE]
Aug 12, 2019, 12:35 PM
AeroDan
Wow. Nowadays, you can’t even land @a Class Bravo w/o SPECIAL PERMISSION. And that’s during periods when there’s a lull in the activity. And the landing fees are OUTRAGEOUS!!!!
Aug 12, 2019, 12:58 PM
Culper Junior
[QUOTE=georgeg;42502471]It was even more fun than you realize because the runway rose from one end, then dipped and rose again to the other end. And there was a tall tree directly in line with the runway about 1/3 of a mile out. I'm not sure of the distance but on a warm day, you might need to gently steer around it! This was Woodbridge Airport in Woodbridge, VA, affectionately known as Woodbridge International. On my first dual x-country, we landed at Dulles International. In those days, they didn't see a lot of traffic so were even glad to see a Cessna 150 on a training flight. I used it as a corner on my first solo x-country. The taxi-ways were much bigger than the runway I was used to.

Sounds a bit like Kutztown Pa. the runway dipped so severely in the middle when towing gliders the towline drug over the crest of the hill as the towplane went down in the hallow.
Aug 16, 2019, 01:00 AM
AeroDan
The crown in the runway was that high? WOW!!!
Aug 16, 2019, 12:33 PM
Culper Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
The crown in the runway was that high? WOW!!!
Yes. If you stood at runway end and watched a takeoff away from you the airplane would disappear for several seconds until it was about 3/4 of the way down the runway. Not only did it dip into a hollow but there was a bump before the dip. Fun!
Aug 16, 2019, 02:17 PM
AeroDan
Sounds like that take-off (rotation) bump would’ve crept up on me, with NO warning.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Aug 19, 2019 at 03:48 PM.
Sep 10, 2019, 04:17 PM
I think I go fly

This one

Light = fast
Sep 10, 2019, 07:30 PM
Culper Junior
Swearington? Not sure I got the spelling correct.
Sep 10, 2019, 10:43 PM
Swearingen SX300
Sep 11, 2019, 05:39 AM
AMA 910957
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Swearington? Not sure I got the spelling correct.
Close, the Swearingen SX300 is a two-place, but has side-by-side seating configuration.

Found it! It's a Tarragon:

http://www.tarragonaircraft.com/en/overview/

Looks like a lot of fun!

EJ
Last edited by EJWash1; Sep 11, 2019 at 05:45 AM.
Sep 11, 2019, 12:56 PM
AeroDan
Look’s like a quick one. Especially if manufactured by Swearingen.

Quick Reply