Wing Wing Z-84 (845mm) - 72.6km long range , 90 minutes stormy rain flight. - RC Groups
Aug 23, 2016, 08:07 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Build Log

Wing Wing Z-84 (845mm) - 72.6km long range , 90 minutes stormy rain flight.

Tiny plane with big long range adventure!
Hey guys i'm back again!, this time just wanna share my success flying my two just recently build Wing Wing Z-84 (V1 and V2/v2+)with record breaking long range flight proving that this small tiny wing could fly beyond its intended design. Currently achieved max up to 72.6km mileage per-session with flight time of 90 minutes (1 hour 30 minutes) on 3500mah 4s Li-on pack (Proof video below).

For more details of my ultimate long range mini UAV WING WING Z-84 you can read setup at my blog page below link.

Build log and specification page:

http://www.supermotoxl.com/fpvuav-mo...ing-z-84-845mm

================================================
Specification: Version 2 build (V2/V2+)
Wingspan: 845mm
Length: 405mm
Elevon: 2x 9g servo analog MG
ESC: 12A TURNIGY Plush
Motor: AX 1806N 2100KV
External BEC: 3A/5V (Micro size board)
Propeller: Stock 2 blade 5"x3 GWS
Radio receiver: Frsky telemetry 8ch
Battery: LG MJ1 NRI 18560 Li-on (3500mah per-cell) 3500mah 3s1p 10A / 4s setup on V2+
Camera HD (main): RUNCAM HD F2.8
Flight Control board: APM Mini Pro + mini GPS Ublox 7N (Uses Arduplane Version 3.4 firmware)
APM radio telemetry: mini 3DR radio telemetry + halfwave di-pole antenna
Voltage + Current sensor: 3DR power module 2-6s
Full flying weight: 390gram /430gram on V2+
================================================

I attached here some proven uncut long range flight video sequentially from the early stage progressed up to its maximum proven long distance flight. So if you have an old wing wing Z-84 sitting around lonely inside your garage then its time to wipe the dust out and give this little miracle a second chance.

The build:

Snapshots of adventure:

Videos:
72.6km Attack of Rain Goddess- Mini UAV Wing Wing Z-84 (Hardcore Edition) (1 hr 26 min 23 sec)

63km Epic Journey - Mini UAV Wing Wing Z-84 second build (V2+) (1 hr 19 min 3 sec)

52.1km To the Edge - Mini UAV Wing Wing Z-84 second build. (1 hr 15 min 13 sec)

43.7km Deep forest - Mini UAV Wing Wing Z-84 second build (1 hr 5 min 17 sec)

31km Cold valleys - Mini UAV Wing Wing Z-84 using Li-On (LG MJ1 18650) (46 min 13 sec)

27km City Day - Mini UAV Wing Wing Z-84 using Li-On (LG MJ1 18650) (36 min 45 sec)

22.2km Urban Patrol - Mini UAV Wing Wing Z-84 using Li-On (LG MJ1 18650) (31 min 35 sec)

20.4km River stroll - Mini UAV Wing Wing Z-84 using Li-On (LG MJ1 18650) (31 min 15 sec)

16.8km Windy shore - Mini UAV Wing Wing Z-84 using Li-On (LG MJ1 18650) (26 min 58 sec)

I will post more updates and latest development on this awesome plane.
Last edited by ican3d; Nov 22, 2016 at 06:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2016, 08:24 PM
ultra cheap pilot
After huge amount of success from previous flight its time to proceed building 2x more Wing Wing Z-84: the V3 and V4. V3 will try to break into around 65~75km mileage with double Li-on pack soon. My new kits just arrived this week with same parts spec as V2 except the servo type because orignal MG servo was back ordered at hobbyking.

Photos (V3 + V4 build):

Aug 23, 2016, 10:36 PM
That's pretty amazing stuff your doing with maximizing efficiency to cover such distances. It seems a big part of your success in saving weight is using these batteries http://www.banggood.com/1PC-Keeppowe...-p-994340.html and from the specs you are using 3 of them for a total battery weight of 150 grams? That's almost twice the energy density of a similar capacity lipo.
Aug 24, 2016, 12:14 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Yes, the Li-on LG MJ1 makes huge improvement in terms of long endurance power but it lacks of punch power (high C rating) unlike Li-po. Which means 1x pack of 3500mah 3s only have short burst of max 10A for few seconds and must keep flying below 3A per-current consumption throughout the flight. The good news is Li-On battery have lower level voltage drain tolerance before it hits atleast 2.6V per-cell (7.8v) where as Li-Po is at 3.3V per-cell (9.9v). Li-on performance start dropping at 2.5V per-cell.
Aug 24, 2016, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q
After doing a lot of cell and pack tests I have a rule of thumb (below) for what capacity will be realized from a standard Lipoly based on the discharge. I've yet to find a lipoly which can sustain even 50% of their C rating continuously without overheating and the usable capacity always drops significantly.

Discharge__Capacity__Continuous
100%C_____33%_______No
50%C______66%_______No
25%C______75%_______Some packs
10%C______100%______Yes

So a 5200 MultiStar 10C pack running at 25%C would be delivering ~13A and you could expect to get 3900mAh of usable capacity at this discharge rate.

Just my 2 cents...
Mark
Mark_q seems to think that you need to be flying below 30% of your C rating to get good efficiency, do you follow this rule as well?
Aug 24, 2016, 07:10 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Just some latest updates at my Z-84 page build; thanks to Lanza (Esteban) for pointing me out on the missing url links. All links to the parts build have been fixed. Thanks bro.
Aug 25, 2016, 08:19 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Starting the build V3/v4
Ok guys i think since i have some new boxes of Z-84 and some hardware to build another duplicate its fair enough for me to show you how i build my long range high endurance Z-84 in details since too many people got to excited after watching some videos and documentation at my website. I'm going to show you some step by step photos and few words along with it but let do it slowly per-day since i have other things to do to enjoy spare time and in the office.

So today i've unpack my stuff, the usual Z-84 from Hobby King kit. Do take note that hobbyking.com kit comes with pre-sticked decals while Banggood.com version is pure blank kit but supplied with sticker so you can stick manually. I don't like stickers so i peeled it off, should've bought from BG to save me time.

Photos: Kits and decals removal:
I hate decals, when it gets old and weary it peels off and act like a flaps sooner or later. And you saved miligrams.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos: Vertical fins shorten:
Because i don't want the Z-84 caught in the heavy wind and pointed towards the head wind crabbing sideways. The end tip always get bent and sway overtime like a rudder.
You save a miligram too.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos: Elevon surface installed with plastic pivot:
To reduce overtime tearing and also reduce stress load on small servo to push the elevon surface around (helps reduce current consumption during "peak push"). You saved servo from burning.

Aug 25, 2016, 09:15 PM
Hi ican3d

Thanks for all the info and the write up. You've managed to achieve something really remarkable!

What kind of camera are you considering using for your v3/v4 mapping rig?

Have you considered using frsky XSR Rx, pixracer and ACSP type power supply/BECs to further lighten the load?

Cheers and congrats!
Aug 25, 2016, 09:39 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Young
Hi ican3d

Thanks for all the info and the write up. You've managed to achieve something really remarkable!

What kind of camera are you considering using for your v3/v4 mapping rig?

Have you considered using frsky XSR Rx, pixracer and ACSP type power supply/BECs to further lighten the load?

Cheers and congrats!
Thanks, For aerial mapping i'm planning to use HORYZON HD4 camera since it lens can be interchangeable to narrow FOV for mapping and also it has a PWM servo trigger port to connect to any APM output port (A#). But before mounting this camera next build need to pass long range test too.

I prefer something i'm familiar and long trusted hardware because APM MINI PRO (never failed after going through hundred hours of flight on all my plane) have robust and reliable 5V voltage regulator onboard plus easy for me to do soldering than plugging via flimsy plastic port (loose contact port). I worked with many type of APM but the PRO earned my trust....they are cheap too.

For XSR rx i don't trust S-BUS port to trigger failsafe on APM because i experienced loose (unrealiable fail safe trigger) signal packets during flight since i lost few planes. S-BUS method is 'cutting corner' to compact every signal in one bandwidth, result too cramp and lossy signal. Its a long story but its a common problem... you might google more here: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+s-bus+problem
Aug 25, 2016, 09:55 PM
Hi ICan3d, just wanted to let you know that I've subbed and wanna make a coupla lightening suggestions too.

Firstly, metal Gear servos? For long range, since you're not really doing too much in aerobatics etc, you might get away with smaller plastic ones maybe 5 grammers.

Another obvious dragging weight is your Runcam. I do like your HD video, but there is a new smaller mobius coming out soon https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2697022 and only weighs 27 gramms. With a bit of modification, you may be able to embed it in the canopy to reduce drag.

You probably already thought of these, but just in case you didn't, that's my two cents worth. Can't wait to see the rest of your build.
Aug 25, 2016, 10:19 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by webeng
Hi ICan3d, just wanted to let you know that I've subbed and wanna make a coupla lightening suggestions too.

Firstly, metal Gear servos? For long range, since you're not really doing too much in aerobatics etc, you might get away with smaller plastic ones maybe 5 grammers.

Another obvious dragging weight is your Runcam. I do like your HD video, but there is a new smaller mobius coming out soon https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2697022 and only weighs 27 gramms. With a bit of modification, you may be able to embed it in the canopy to reduce drag.

You probably already thought of these, but just in case you didn't, that's my two cents worth. Can't wait to see the rest of your build.
The V1 build was plastic, but the V2 build is Metal Gear because that day i went to find servo at hobby king for plastic type but the reliable ones are was backordered. Whats left was turnigy Metal Gear (Turnigy™ TGY-50090M Analog Servo MG 1.6kg / 0.08sec / 9g)..good news is that this particular servo have excellent return "Centering" performance with match nicely with APM's stabilization without overkill high amp Digital servo and it did play nice with my 433 radio data telemetry unlike TOwer- Pro MG servo which cause interference and jittering.
I have mix feeling about using 5g servo (HXT500) because with such a long flight over 1 hours and constant stabilization signal from APM its more likely to overheating those poor little coreless brushed servo. HXT900 is much beefier but spike high amp with small push.

Check this vital servo stats: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bhabbott/Servo.html
And servo stats from rcgroups member: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828495

Yes bought the new slim Mobius, but on its way slow boat from china.
Last edited by ican3d; Aug 25, 2016 at 10:34 PM.
Aug 25, 2016, 10:25 PM
I noticed that you use the 12A Plush ESC. They are 13g

Have you considered Castle Creation's Talon 15? It is 7.2 g and includes a reliable 3amp bec.

Also, I wonder if adding an extra battery (45g) and make the system 4s would provide further distance.
Aug 26, 2016, 12:49 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanza
I noticed that you use the 12A Plush ESC. They are 13g

Have you considered Castle Creation's Talon 15? It is 7.2 g and includes a reliable 3amp bec.

Also, I wonder if adding an extra battery (45g) and make the system 4s would provide further distance.
Castle ESC nice but the price is a big whoop. But the idea for 4S seems legit, i need to test to see if the AX1806N 2100KV (rated 2-3s) could handle 4S at a throttle where = to previous 57% thrust on what use to be 3s. Maybe 40% on 4S so not to burn the motor's wire? I'll do some research and test first.

Photos: Improve Elevon re-assembly:
Btw lunch time just now, assembled the improved smooth Elevon. Nice and tight fit.

Aug 26, 2016, 02:18 AM
Nice vids and build blog mate!

Any info on how you made you battery pack? I made a receiver pack with Ni-Mh years ago and it was a frustrating experience. Couldn't get the solder to stick reliably. Never really trusted the battery pack as a result.

The assembly of your battery pack seems to be the only thing missing from your build blog.
Aug 26, 2016, 02:31 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash77
Nice vids and build blog mate!

Any info on how you made you battery pack? I made a receiver pack with Ni-Mh years ago and it was a frustrating experience. Couldn't get the solder to stick reliably. Never really trusted the battery pack as a result.

The assembly of your battery pack seems to be the only thing missing from your build blog.
I ask my buddy who owned local hobby/e-cigarette (vape) shop to assemble and solder the Li-On battery because he has a special quick solder and metal stamp machine (forgot to take photo of the metal stamping machine) because Li-On battery is heat sensitive when try to solder at the contact terminal so ordinary soldering works would affect overall performance. It was first build for my MINI VOLANTEX RANGER and i reused it back for Z-84 which is why you don't see those in my Z-84 gallery.

Here the photos he's building my Li-on packs: