***Vertigo and Rebel 40" FPV Racers** - RC Groups
Aug 22, 2016, 10:50 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Discussion

***Vertigo and Rebel 40" FPV Racers**

The CTH Vertigo and Rebel class 40" FPV Racers are designed to be the toughest FPV Planes on the Planet. We designed these racers not only make the gate but knock the gate down and keep on flying. They cut from incredibly tough EPP foam to protect your radio and FPV gear and give the plane a long life. EPP wings are a great way to fly FPV. With an EPP wing you don't have all the expense, repairs and maintenance that come with quadcopters. When you are flying a plane you are only flying with one motor and one prop and your FPV gear is buried in EPP shock absorbing padding to protect it.

EPP 40" Rebel series with three symmetrical airfoil choices.
EPP elevons, designed to go fast and for FPV.

We designed the Rebels for the flyers who want a symmetrical airfoil to go faster but have learned the Rebels also can still fly slow. Why do we have have three fully symmetrical airfoil Rebel variations available? We had three great high performance symmetrical airfoils we were testing that were all doing so well we decided to manufacture and kit all three. We have a Rebel with a S-12% symmetrical airfoil for FPV racing. We also have symmetrical S-14% that is thick enough for increased strength and more batteries but still thin enough for high speed.. We have the Rebel S-16% that is as thick as the Assassin and built like an Assassin making it another one of the toughest planes on the planet sold by Crashtesthobby. You need to try one of the Rebels and see how fun flying can be. http://www.crashtesthobby.com/rebel-40.html

EPP Vertigo 40" FPV Racer with EPP elevons
If you wanted the best tracking 40" class FPV racer you found it.

Designed to be the best 40" class FPV Racer but it also one of the most enjoyable aerobatic sport planes you can find even if you don't fly FPV. It has a thick wing and more sweep and bigger fins making it extrememly stable. It is build using the same building techniques as the Assassin so it is extremely tough and ready for fun. It has a wide speed range and looks great in the sky. It tracks better than blunt nose wings or wings with an extension and it is easier to build with fewer parts. It is extremely durable and designed to protect your battery and radio and FPV gear. UV protecting laminate is included in this kit to save you even more money. Look at the videos on the Vertigo website and you can see why it is so well liked by those who have flown it. http://www.crashtesthobby.com/vertigo-40-fpv-racer.html

We have been designing and cutting flying wings for 31 years and this is one of the most enjoyable high performance designs you can buy. We asked Michael to help us evaluate the new Vertigo 40" FPV Racer after we saw his incredible flying skill in the videos below. With his input and expertise we have a great design with a wide speed envelope and great performance and stability.

​The CG is back at 7.25".

The Vertigo flies well at 1/3 throttle with a 3530-1700KV motor and accelerate straight up and fly at 80 mph on a 3S battery! The Vertigo 40" FPV Racer airfoil was chosen because it creates a great deal of lift for its size so it can carry the racing FPV gear. It also has a wide speed range from ballistically fast to stable and slow. We designed the plane so it can be built light so that it will be able to slow down for tight turns without snap rolling or tip stalling.

We have designed the Vertigo so it is easy to build with one easy to install flat carbon spar. The Vertigo has larger fins for better tracking for live video down links. It comes with a shock cord, 15 feet of laminate, hardware and indestructible EPP elevons. You will love this plane!!!

When built light with a flying weight (AUW) of around 24-28 oz it will go straight up with a 3530-1700KV motor and a 2600 mA 3S battery. It has a flight speed of about 15-80 mph with the recommended motor. It will fly 100+ mph with a 4S set up and the same motor. It is designed to fly with a large prop and lower RPM to make it quieter and neighbor friendly.

If you want to race in the 27" class take a look at our Scythe. We have been flying the Scythe in FPV, AP and combat for over 7 years. It is a great flying small plane at the great price of two kits in one box for $50.

See the thread on RCG here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1204561

Here is a link to our website: http://www.crashtesthobby.com/scythe-26.html

We intentionally design our planes to fly with inexpensive motors, speed controls and low cost metal gear servos to help you get more out of your hobby budget. We always look for the best design for carrying and protecting your FPV gear.

Buy 5 Vertigo kits and we will give you a 6th one for free!!! Clear UV shielded laminate is included in every kit to save you even more money.

Tunnel of Doom (2 min 44 sec)

CTH Vertigo Wing Racing and Aerobatics (3 min 9 sec)

Running FPV Wing Gates Inverted (3 min 31 sec)

Racing a CTH Assassin Wing (3 min 8 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Sep 04, 2017 at 08:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2016, 10:55 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
If you see posts from Guaglione87 you are hearing from the man himself that flew the gates inverted in the videos.

Good Job Michael!!!!
Last edited by Lee; Aug 22, 2016 at 11:41 PM.
Aug 22, 2016, 10:56 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Reserved #3
Aug 22, 2016, 02:13 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Nice. I wonder if they should have a minimum gate size for fixed wing since you have a wider peg to put through the hole. Did you hit any of the gates?
Aug 22, 2016, 04:12 PM
Chi va piano, va lontano
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscarawa
Nice. I wonder if they should have a minimum gate size for fixed wing since you have a wider peg to put through the hole. Did you hit any of the gates?
Depending on how much of a challenge you or your club is up for, gate size will vary. I like 10x10 ft as it is a good challenge and is reasonable to go through while going relatively fast. A few wings can get through it at the same time as well. Some prefer something like 25 ft by 25ft. That is starting to get too easy in my opinion.

I do hit the gates sometimes, and more often than not I can keep on flying. CTH wings are so strong that I really doubt hitting the gates will ever damage the wing. PVC and tent pole flexes so the collision is not too serious.

It is mostly getting past the fear of committing to a small gap, past that, its all fun
Aug 23, 2016, 07:11 PM
Unregistered User
Posting out of pure enthusiasm. I've loved every CTH plane I've flown; I can't wait to get my hands on one of these wings!

Questions:

1.) for those of us w/o 3D printers, any suggestions on mounting the camera? I've tried a number of things, all unsatisfactory for one reason or another, still looking for something simple yet bombproof.

2.) why not use 2 formica plates, top and bottom, like the reaper?
Aug 24, 2016, 11:29 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabeguache
Posting out of pure enthusiasm. I've loved every CTH plane I've flown; I can't wait to get my hands on one of these wings!

Questions:

1.) for those of us w/o 3D printers, any suggestions on mounting the camera? I've tried a number of things, all unsatisfactory for one reason or another, still looking for something simple yet bombproof.

2.) why not use 2 formica plates, top and bottom, like the reaper?
The EPP foam thick wing is your friend. It is both structure and padding around your camera. Bury your camera if possible and let the EPP foam do its magic.

We can easily add the second Formica plate. Good idea.... Keep it light however.
Aug 24, 2016, 11:35 AM
Chi va piano, va lontano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
The EPP foam thick wing is your friend. It is both structure and padding around your camera. Bury your camera if possible and let the EPP foam do its magic.

We can easily add the second Formica plate. Good idea.... Keep it light however.
I used a second Formica plate, trimmed to the shape of the nose to provide extra rigidity around where I mounted my camera brace. It slots in and slides in with some hot glue. Seems to work great. You just need to be careful to plan around the shock chord.

You could use the little u bracket they include with the cam to screw it into to Formica plate.
Aug 24, 2016, 03:31 PM
FPV Lawnmower
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87
I used a second Formica plate, trimmed to the shape of the nose to provide extra rigidity around where I mounted my camera brace. It slots in and slides in with some hot glue...
nice technique!

is all that fomica and 3D printed bracing requied - generally I just glued the cam into a foam slot - whats the advantage of the brace?

where is your VTX antenna hiding?
Aug 24, 2016, 04:17 PM
Chi va piano, va lontano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxone
nice technique!

is all that fomica and 3D printed bracing requied - generally I just glued the cam into a foam slot - whats the advantage of the brace?

where is your VTX antenna hiding?
Not sure the formica plate is necessary, but the weight added was minimal and it makes me feel better

The nose can tend to get a bit soft after many crashes, so I am hoping this may resolve that to some extent and diffuse the force a bit.

The 3D print does protect the lens from a frontal impact, so that gives me piece of mind. The side plates of the print extend a couple mm beyond the lens surface.

All that being said, it may be overkill, but was pretty minimal in terms of time to implement and weight.

The vtx is buried at the wingtip on the left. The 3rd picture on the first post shows the antenna. It is a 3g 25mw pico vtx on 1258 , so I have no real worries about overheating or throwing the balance off.
Aug 24, 2016, 04:41 PM
Guaglione do you have the STL file for your camera protection. Or even better have you considered selling them?

Just placed my order for the vertigo a few minutes ago
Aug 24, 2016, 06:50 PM
Chi va piano, va lontano
Quote:
Originally Posted by photohap
Guaglione do you have the STL file for your camera protection. Or even better have you considered selling them?

Just placed my order for the vertigo a few minutes ago
You can get the stl at: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1013387

that works great for the 2.8 lens, but the 2.1 sticks out a little more, so i modified it to extend out a bit more so it can do its job at protecting the lens. Ill have to get that later. Custom file i made.
Aug 24, 2016, 09:37 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
What is the difference of the sweep between the Pinata/Assassin and the Vertigo? I ask since I am wondering how much further back my fins might need to be to get the same yaw dampening.
Aug 24, 2016, 11:15 PM
Chi va piano, va lontano
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscarawa
What is the difference of the sweep between the Pinata/Assassin and the Vertigo? I ask since I am wondering how much further back my fins might need to be to get the same yaw dampening.
I dont have an exact measurement, but this picture illustrates the extra sweep nicely - assassin next to a vertigo
Aug 25, 2016, 12:25 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Another trick is to toe in the fins and enlarge the fins. Along with the sweep the larger fins toed in will add a lot of stability.