Mar 08, 2017, 01:49 PM
flyin' fool
Took a set of 860mm/34" Wisel cores and turned it into a 10 ounce Boomer Sr. Flies amazing, big wind, light wind not a problem, aerobatics at it's best.
Last edited by goldguy; Mar 13, 2017 at 10:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2017, 10:51 PM
flyin' fool
After bashing our Bee2 and Wicked Wings in combat for years and having them bounce right back, it was clear that no fuse pod, a weed whacker line LE and MG servos had a huge advantage in durability.

After building lots and lots of wings with nose pods, I re-discovered an old Canadian design, the Chinook. Later called the Red Herring and then the Boomer EX, all according to who was kitting it at the time.

The performance of the Boomer on the slope with a cleaner platform excelled all my expectations.... aerobatics, energy retention, durability and flyability in heavy or light winds.

I modified the angles of a set of Wisel PW51 cores, tried to keep it light and everything forward, but still had to add balance weight fine tuning to 19% CG. http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/

Only one span wise 1X5mm CF spar, laminating film, 2mm coro elevons, EPP vertical stab, 14 gram digi MG servos, a small 6 ch RX and a 1350 AAA NiMh battery.

Next one will have a few changes so as to add less balance weight, like a reconfigures battery.

Cores cut so far.......................
Last edited by goldguy; Mar 13, 2017 at 10:22 AM.
Mar 08, 2017, 11:03 PM
That thing almost hit me
Battery idea..
Latest blog entry: Talon Maiden
Mar 08, 2017, 11:42 PM
flyin' fool
Yup, that's it. Thanks.
Mar 13, 2017, 12:58 AM
Hi Frank,

The larger Boomer Sr looks great!

Updated with responses from Frank below in ( ).

(Wingspan is 34 inch = 863.6 mm)

(Laminating film is 1.7 mil material, same as on the Boomer Jr)

(Vertical stab dimensions:
- 8mm thick EPP
- Base is 6"
- V stab is swept back 1 1/2" at the TE.
- Height is 5"
- Tip is 3")

Link to the 14g digital servos?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/corona-9...06sec-12g.html
or alternate
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Towerpro...vo_p_1174.html

Pack is (square flat) 4 AAA NiMH

What pack configuration are you planning on the next build? (Single strand, see photo in Post #48 above).
I still don't understand exactly how the white styrene plastic is used, applied the leading edge area and to cover the battery bay and receiver. Some close up photos and explanation would be appreciated.
How do you secure the battery pack in the bay? Battery just a fraction fit in bay melted out with a solder iron
What is the black next to the white plastic material near the nose and how is it used?

Thanks,

rcflydad
Last edited by rcflydad; Mar 15, 2017 at 07:06 PM. Reason: clarifying wingspan, asking details about the styrene plastic covers and LE treatment.
Mar 14, 2017, 12:24 PM
flyin' fool
Span measurement corrected
1.7 lam film
V stab in 8mm, H5,B6, T3
Servos......... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/corona-9...06sec-12g.html
Sq. 4 AAAs, next will be in a single strand.
Plastic just a cover tapped down
Battery just a fraction fit in bay melted out with a solder iron
Flat CF
Mar 15, 2017, 01:15 AM
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply! I have a few more questions, hoping to tap into your years of experience to short cut some trial and error time.

Please verify info about Vertical stab:
- 8mm thick EPP
- Height is 5"
- Base is 6"
- Tip is 3"
- What is the setback from base to tip of the vertical stab?

Is the white plastic two pieces?
- Is one wrapped around the leading edge? Could you take a picture from the front and show/describe how/what the piece(s) does? Is it a bumper for the nose?
- Is the second one a cover for battery/rx? How is it taped down? I don't see any tape in the photo.
- What is the short black strip near the nose of the glider and what does it do?

Thank you,

rcflydad
Last edited by rcflydad; Mar 15, 2017 at 01:26 AM.
Mar 15, 2017, 12:08 PM
flyin' fool
The H stab is swept back 1 1/2" at the TE.

Can't take pics because I sold it already. Got two more to build, one for another local flyer and one for myself, then no more doing stuff for other's no matter how much they are willing to pay. EVER!!

The plastic sheet is in two pieces attached with clear tape and no, it's not wrapped around the LE. Just make a cardboard template first from a cereal box for what ever shape you want. This one was in two pieces with a space for the bind plug on/off switch to be pushed in flush. The black you see is just the space.
Last edited by goldguy; Mar 15, 2017 at 12:14 PM.
Mar 15, 2017, 12:17 PM
flyin' fool
You need to cut a pie shape from the center at the LE of the plastic hatch to allow it to bend around properly.
Mar 15, 2017, 04:25 PM
Thanks Frank,
I think I've got it now.
Now to buy some cheaper blue or pink foam and learn how to pivot hot wire cut some cores. Once I figure that out, I'll try EPP cores. I have some info collected on this from your postings over on the Wisel thread.
Thanks,
rcflydad
Mar 16, 2017, 01:58 AM
flyin' fool
Hurry up, good weather on the way.

You should scoot down to Cape Blanco this year for some excellent sloping.
Mar 16, 2017, 02:05 AM
flyin' fool
Doing a re-do of Junior after crashing into the ocean (salt water) caused by a total DX6 failure. Grrrrrrrr

The worst part besides a no warning failure, Spektrum, knowing of the problem, never warned or recalled. It's like.....BANG, dead, no transmission.
Mar 16, 2017, 07:54 PM
flyin' fool
28" Boomer make over....................

The elevons and V. stab were tape covered 2mm Depron for lightness, but couldn't take a joke, so replaced with 2mm Coro. Had to add weight to balance which brought it to the ballasted weight of 6 ounces. Not a problem, still flies in light wind and now no ballast needed for heavy winds, all thanks to the wonderful PW51 airfoil.
Apr 08, 2017, 01:54 AM
flyin' fool
Big winds today, 50+ kph, added about 6 ounces of ballast for some ballistic fun. It was blowing twice that out in the strait and all ferry sailing were cancelled.
Apr 08, 2017, 11:16 AM
flyin' fool
Six ounce of ballast on a six ounce sloper in big wind = big fun.

Quick Reply