Jan 02, 2017, 04:31 PM
Reap the wild wind
Are you positive?
No need to answer
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2017, 04:50 PM
flyin' fool
Funny..................... you got it.

Now, about using an extension. I think it may work, you just need to figure which goes were to both charge and turn on/off.

I'll work on it.
Last edited by goldguy; Jan 02, 2017 at 04:59 PM.
Jan 02, 2017, 06:59 PM
flyin' fool
OK, here it is, a custom 'Y'. If you don't want to wire directly from the battery this will work.

Since I build my own packs, doing it the version one way is more compact.
Last edited by goldguy; Jan 02, 2017 at 07:16 PM.
Jan 03, 2017, 03:46 AM
Reap the wild wind
Thanks Frank. Yep,that makes perfect sense
Andy
Feb 05, 2017, 02:26 AM
Professional amature

Another Boomer Jr is born...

Hey Frank,

When the robins return I hope to test this new addition out. Its snowing again!!

-PW51 white popcorn styro 28.5" WS
-Blue foam hotwire cut elevons covered in newstuff lam film, packing tape hinged
-Weed wacker LE
-Meat tray foam, Wisel style fin. Meat tray foam is much stiffer than $tree foam and free!
-Packing tape covered with flames ala @1000MPH
-Lemon RX without servo pins
-1ea - 18650 LiIo 3.7v out of a laptop battery. I find these settle at about 4.0v and I can fly many hours on a single charge
-EMAX ES08MAII metal gear servos done top drive. Control rods are run inside a coffee stir stick split lengthwise to yield a tube that is Gorilla glued inside the sloppy hotwired wing channel
-Control horns made from flossers
-Added 1.3oz big washers for nose weight on the underside to balance it out
-Your famous servo switch/charge port!

I have been wanting to build a Wisel sans fuse and this looks like and even better idea

Came in at 6.8oz

Ed
Last edited by vastsky; Feb 05, 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Feb 05, 2017, 04:45 AM
Reap the wild wind
Very clean build and looks not unlike the NCFM Wabbit. A hellava lot cheaper as well
Andy
Feb 05, 2017, 06:18 AM
flyin' fool
Ed:

I was flying mine in the snow storm yesterday (Sat.) over here. Why? Because the wind/lift was full of wonderful goodie goodness.

Only two of us showed. Don't understand why.

Anyhoo.............

A few days ago I chucked it out in light lift and it flew beautiful, doing everything I asked of it. Upon landing I realized that I had left the ballast of 50 grams attached from flying in big winds of 35+ kph the week before.

So, you RTF weight should still be good in a variety of condition.
Feb 05, 2017, 06:25 AM
flyin' fool
Andy:

The Chinook was the first and has been around for many years. It's different from the Wabbit in that the TE is straight. I'll bet the Boomer performs better too. It's one sloper I have no problems shoot Tn'Gs with off the edge. Everybody here now wants one. Meaning............. they want me to cut them cores. As I group we own a drop arm cutter and it sits unused at another guys house. So, I'm not getting caught in that trap, my bench is loaded, spring is just around the corner.

Frank
Feb 05, 2017, 06:33 AM
flyin' fool
I think where the Boomer has an advantage over the Wisel is the lack of a fuse pod and the extra drag.

I'm in the process of building a pod free Wisel to check it out.
Feb 05, 2017, 01:35 PM
flyin' fool
Finger launch holes.........................
Feb 05, 2017, 04:42 PM
Professional amature
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Very clean build and looks not unlike the NCFM Wabbit. A hellava lot cheaper as well
Andy
Thanks Andy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Andy:

The Chinook was the first and has been around for many years. It's different from the Wabbit in that the TE is straight. I'll bet the Boomer performs better too. It's one sloper I have no problems shoot Tn'Gs with off the edge. Everybody here now wants one. Meaning............. they want me to cut them cores. As I group we own a drop arm cutter and it sits unused at another guys house. So, I'm not getting caught in that trap, my bench is loaded, spring is just around the corner.

Frank
Frank:

Thanks again for the great slopers!! I'd fly in the snow, but the wind is not blowing from the point of the compass needed and it is -10C.

Can't wait to build the next great plane you come up with.

Ed
Feb 05, 2017, 05:53 PM
Reap the wild wind
It won't be long, that's for sure. Only Dave Reap builds more than Frank but his are mostly KFm models
Feb 05, 2017, 11:40 PM
flyin' fool
You only see the ones that work.
Last edited by goldguy; Feb 06, 2017 at 03:05 AM.
Feb 06, 2017, 09:38 PM
flyin' fool
To shape tips or not to shape tips? Well, I've found it purely cosmetic. I've build lots of Wasps, Wisels and Boomers with both rounded and straight, and can't tell the difference in performance/flyability.

I like straight mainly because I'm using lam film.
Feb 06, 2017, 10:15 PM
Professional amature
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
To shape tips or not to shape tips? Well, I've found it purely cosmetic. I've build lots of Wasps, Wisels and Boomers with both rounded and straight, and can't tell the difference in performance/flyability.

I like straight mainly because I'm using lam film.
IIRC rounding/shaping the tips moves the CG slightly rearward.
Last edited by vastsky; Feb 09, 2017 at 04:00 AM.

Quick Reply