Sep 09, 2016, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Ken, the Rimfire x mount had the proper spacing to bolt right up. So I would drill the holes to keep the motor centered inside of the predrilled holes. I did not install those wooden blocks in the cowl behind the dummy motor. I used a heavy bead of silicone to glue that wooden ring in there, and it's plenty solid for an electric application. Using a gas engine might require more bracing though with the extra vibration. However, I did use two of the blocks on top of the cowl ring to make the cowl evenly rounded. It wasn't a perfectly round cowl.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2016, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
The Garmin Vibe camera we used has the aviation package. It comes with the prop filter and it will display all sorts of information like the airspeed, elevation, g's, rate of climb etc, and is fairly accurate. It mounts into a Go Pro mount off of an Eflite Carbon Cub that we bolted down inside of the forward cockpit.
Sep 09, 2016, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarn
Ken, the Rimfire x mount had the proper spacing to bolt right up. So I would drill the holes to keep the motor centered inside of the predrilled holes. I did not install those wooden blocks in the cowl behind the dummy motor. I used a heavy bead of silicone to glue that wooden ring in there, and it's plenty solid for an electric application. Using a gas engine might require more bracing though with the extra vibration. However, I did use two of the blocks on top of the cowl ring to make the cowl evenly rounded. It wasn't a perfectly round cowl.
I forgot that you used the Rimfire motor but I was sure the motor needed to be centered, that really is only way it would make sense. I will have to check out your camera I cannot believe something so small can film so clear. I like the prop filter and the avaiation package.

Ken
Sep 11, 2016, 08:40 AM
Thread OP
Ken, the camera is actually called a Virb. Cute name for an "action" cam. : ) I always call it a Vibe for some reason. They really are a nice unit and I understand the newest ones are smaller than this one. Check em out.
Sep 12, 2016, 08:32 PM
Not happy with the way the motor is placed in the cowling, with the motor right up front it doesn't look right I want it to look like the Dynam Waco. So I am looking for ideas as how to achieve this.
Should I reduce the spacers behind the firewall then add spacers behind the motor?
Just got back from a workout too tired to think.

Ken
Sep 13, 2016, 02:10 PM
Thread OP
Ken, just figure out how far back you want to move it, then make an additional wooden ring the right diameter and glue it to the supplied ring. Then you may have to cut down the supplied motor standoffs some, or adjust your motor depth position in some way anyhow. Not sure about the dimensions of your motor. That thin plastic they use on the dummy radial and gear strut fairings, isn't fun to work with is it? Something else that may work, is to use the provided blocks. Epoxy them onto the ring protruding out enough to then shape them down to the right length to fit the cowl where you need them to. You could then make more blocks too if you like. Would leave some gap between the ring and the cowl, but if you paint that area black or something, you probably wouldn't be able to notice it from most angles.
Last edited by redbarn; Sep 13, 2016 at 02:34 PM.
Sep 13, 2016, 03:06 PM
Thank for the ideas and yes the strut fairings, I completely destroyed them.

Ken
Sep 13, 2016, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
Yeah Ken. Those fairings were not fun. I did a lot of the final removal of material with a drum sander on the drill press. Most tedious.
Sep 13, 2016, 04:19 PM
I thought I would rough cut with a hobby knife, new blade but it slipped and that was that. I think I can save it but seeing I was going with the 1930 cargo plane look with the front cockpit covered and decals, I am not worried about them.
Plus I am the only person who will see the plane, no clubs, no fliers where I am in central TX.

Ken
Sep 13, 2016, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
That's too bad you're not getting to hang with other flyers. That is a lot of the fun for me. Can't wait to see where you're going with the looks on your Waco.
Sep 13, 2016, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
I guess I also still need to get a measurement of the CG we have finally arrived at. Try to get that posted in the near future.
Sep 14, 2016, 06:05 AM
It will not be that fancy and have not really set down and thought as to what I want to do. Maybe something on the line of the Dynam Waco. Motor first, plan to work on that today and I plan to go back to the fairing to see if they can be saved.
Yes sometimes I miss having people to share with but it is a beautiful field. The dog is hard on beetles and grasshoppers.

Ken
Sep 14, 2016, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
Ha, he's fighting a losing battle there. I worked 4 summers in Oklahoma, so I know what beetles and grasshoppers are like in the southern midwest. There's enough to feed millions of little dogs. : )
Sep 14, 2016, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
Looks like you have plenty of space to land a real Waco on your airstrip. Is that a crop of some kind, or just pasture grass?

Quick Reply