Aug 20, 2016, 01:22 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Thread OP
Contest

2016 OVSS Fall Round Up - Muncie IN Oct 1-2 2016

Starting this thread to share information on the 2016 version of the fall round up. Separate contest each day awards 1-3 each day plus highest finishing pilot flying a woody sailplane. And top 2 day combined award. This year we will be including mixed launch. Altitude limiters set to 150 meters and electric sailplanes launch in the direction of the turn arounds.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2016, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
Apparently the Masters is unfortunately being cancelled this year. If anyone is interested in some fall flying at the AMA field in Muncie this fall I hope you consider the Fall Round Up.

Ryan
Aug 30, 2016, 06:59 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
Not with mixed launch. Water down the kool-aid Ryan and it no longer tastes good. Mixed launch sux
Aug 30, 2016, 07:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Trussell
Not with mixed launch. Water down the kool-aid Ryan and it no longer tastes good. Mixed launch sux
I can't win. I lose participants if I do mixed launch and I lose participants if I don't do mixed launch.

Ryan
Aug 31, 2016, 12:12 AM

Mixed winches and prop launches.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Trussell
Gavin, I would think that as a new AMA soaring board member that you would support ALL soaring activities that guys are trying to do to motivate more soaring.

Not sure if you ever attended a mixed launch event but I have.
It works and does bring out more flyers.

Please support your local contest director and their contest.

Richard Burnoski District 6 Soaring Board member

[email protected]
Aug 31, 2016, 05:59 AM
While I won't be there (would never give up Visalia for Muncie) Rich is right. Mixed launch works fine in many venues. It's no drag on winch launch and the upside is when the winch lines invariably get screwed up, the contest can keep moving by pushing the electrics to the head of the line and launch them.

JT
Sep 13, 2016, 07:34 PM
So far there's 4 of us coming from Chicago
Sep 13, 2016, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
That is awesome!

Ryan
Sep 14, 2016, 04:39 PM
Play loud, Fly high

Bad news

Sorry guys, the pink golf cart is no longer available. I am working on alternatives. See you at Muncie.
Sep 20, 2016, 10:48 PM

AMA site?

On which AMA site will this event be held?
Sep 20, 2016, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Jim,

Gil handles the site acquisition and hopefully will chime in to confirm for sure but we have always had it at that main site near the entrance where Unlimited at the Nats is held.

I'm really excited about this year's contest. I'll start posting some pics of awards in a few days to continue to get folks excited.

Ryan
Sep 23, 2016, 09:40 PM
Thread OP
As a teaser here is a pic of some of the awards.

Pilots meeting will be at 9 am both days. entry fee $20 a day and will include hotdogs, chips, water, and sodas.

Ryan
Sep 26, 2016, 11:33 AM
Ryan, the framed pages out of a full scale sailplane magazine are really pretty but
looking at the trophies, not a single person earth would see or have any idea of what happened at Muncie next weekend. (I had a friend who would cut photos out hot models out of magazines, put them in his wallet then tell people they were his girlfriends :-)

I'd personally prefer a box of Hershey's with almonds and that tiny engraved plaque stuck on the package. :-)

Or has the fall round up is going to be a scale aerotow? Or maybe a celebration of old time scale sailplanes? Not a single pilot has a plane that has a single thing to do with the photos if those frames.

I thought it was an RC Unlimited Mixed Lanch TD event?

Why trophies with photos of full size scale sailplanes? Not sure what they have to do with what we do?

I know life can get busy for a CD but the trophies should depict at a glance something to do with the event. Sorry but its a pretty lazy effort. If you need some money to make up some trophies that are worthy of the culmination of the entire season of contest (the rest of us attended and participated in), or would like one of us to do the trophies, just let us know.

If you like i can forward a few hundred appropriate photos of the kind of planes that will be flown at the event.

Take a look at the sample:
At a glance anyone in or outside the hobby can see:
The name of the event
The date of the event
Where it was held
The pilot and the model he used that day
It has logos from the participating organizations (AMA, LSF, Louisville Area Soaring Society)
It has a skyline of the city where the event was held
and of course horses to tie in the why the event is called the "DerbySoar" since Louisville is the home of the Kentucky Derby.

Cost? About $5 dollars including the frame. Likely less than a micro dot engraved stick on brass plaque.

If you like I can ask our club guy to create something similar for each place Sportsman and Expert for the OVSS Fall Round Up. Then they will be pre-printed. At the event you snap a photo of the all the pilots who might be in the top near the end of the event, print them, cut them and have them ready to Prit Glue to the background piece.

OR a simple alternative is to do one group shot and use that instead of the individual pilot per plaque.

Its not too late to do it.

Gordy
Last edited by Gordysoar; Sep 26, 2016 at 12:09 PM.
Sep 26, 2016, 11:34 AM

Golf Carts are available locally for rent.

Gil you can rent from a cart rental in Muncie, its about $150 for the weekend, if its the same as here.
Gordy
Sep 26, 2016, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar
I know life can get busy for a CD but the trophies should depict at a glance something to do with the event. Sorry but its a pretty lazy effort. I
Gordy,

This will be my last time organizing the Fall Round Up. In 2017 you can make the trophies any way you like.

For 2016 I have already bought the photos, the frames, and the plates. In 2016 the sanction fees and the cost of the awards will be coming out of my pocket.

If you feel the trophies are not up to your standards then please don't attend. If you are not planning on attending then I have no idea why you are trolling this thread (but I appreciate the post bump)

Ryan

Quick Reply