Remote control rescue lifebuoy. Jet drive help. - RC Groups
Aug 20, 2016, 10:50 AM
ThamesAuxiliary Marine Service
Discussion

Remote control rescue lifebuoy. Jet drive help.

Hello, I'm pleased to join the good forum. This is to say hi and tell you about our new project.

I'm hoping some of you guys who know about jet drives can give me some guidance please.

I am a member of the Thames Auxiliary Marine Service, a volunteer organisation/not for profit/Unincorporated Association providing a service upon the River Thames in London.
We train to assist the public and emergency services in swift water rescue, floods and emergencies in the U.K.

We would like to build our own Remote controlled rescue lifebuoy.

The idea was inspired by the EMILY, Emergency Integrated Lifesaving Lanyard, which features in the video link below.
Meet the remote control lifeguard (2 min 9 sec)

We have enquired about buying one but at being quoted 9,500 we cannot afford the cost so we are planning on building our own version.

We are currently thinking about converting a Glen L X1 remote control prop design into a Jet Drive with some adaptions to the hull.

However we are very new to the RC world and have to learn more about the building process and designs.

Any advice regarding this build project would be much appreciated and if you guys come to London we can help put you up at a place to stay to repay the favour.

We simply need a little guidance on the build and design from chaps who know of the jet drive technology and hacks.

I hope you may be able to assist and advise.

Kind regards and cheers,

Alex.
T.A.M.S
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2016, 09:28 AM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
With life saving equipment I would stick to the one that is available.. To build one then all the testing for research and development and certification would caust about the same. Then their is that big nasty word called liability
Aug 27, 2016, 01:14 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Perhaps you have already looked into these options;

Contact the RNLI, as a volunteer and donation funded organization, perhaps they
would be willing to cooperate and assist in obtaining the equipment you require.

Also, creating a "Go Fund Me" campaign is often a good way to promote and support agencies with limited funds.
A video showing rescue training, and how a remote rescue buoy would expedite recovery of
potential victims, connected with an out reach through news agencies and social media could
possibly fund one or more of the these buoys for your agency.

KMB might be a good start for jet drives if you are set on building your own.
https://www.kehrer-modellbau.de/en/
Aug 28, 2016, 12:25 AM
I spent several hours watching E.M.I.L.Y. staff training a new operator from Australia and watching the boat run thru it's paces on the lake. I was impressed with it's performance and specifications. It has already been responsible for saving persons, several times by pulling lines and harnesses to people stuck high current flood waters.

Sure, you can probably build your own version that's sturdy enough to be dropped out of a helicopter in a raging sea, right itself, drive over to the victim(s), not hurt them with it's drive system and give them enough flotation to support four adult's with built in grab straps. However, then you'd have to work out all the bugs, run it thru assorted testing programs, get all of the hardware together that will actually work together and even then, you're still looking at a liability problem. If your system fails to function and somebody drowns, it's on you.

No, E.M.I.L.Y. isn't cheap but I spent quite a while looking at it, under it and inside it and it's not cheaply built either. No, I am not affiliated with their company at all but I was very impressed with their product.
Jan 11, 2017, 12:56 PM
ThamesAuxiliary Marine Service
Thank you all for the good replies.

Yes, Hydronalix is a great company, I met with them on the River Thames, along with the fire brigade, river police and RNLI representatives to test out the E.M.I.L.Y and it is very well built, no doubt at all, and the Hyeonalix are great people.

I have had an offer to build a DIY version by a member of a R.C powerboat club and the member has donated a good suitable hull already built, so I'm just waiting for fundraising to begin again and to sell our newspapers/periodicals " The Thames Telegram " to buy the components and fittings.

Until we can afford a Hydronalix E.M.I.L.Y we shall use our DIY one and the learning process of the build will be interesting.

Thanks again,

Alex.
Jan 11, 2017, 04:06 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Here is a second one that has been produced since your original post.

https://youtu.be/detOe6vLxiI

Jan 13, 2017, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMS
Hello, I'm pleased to join the good forum. This is to say hi and tell you about our new project.

I'm hoping some of you guys who know about jet drives can give me some guidance please.

I am a member of the Thames Auxiliary Marine Service, a volunteer organisation/not for profit/Unincorporated Association providing a service upon the River Thames in London.
We train to assist the public and emergency services in swift water rescue, floods and emergencies in the U.K.

We would like to build our own Remote controlled rescue lifebuoy.

The idea was inspired by the EMILY, Emergency Integrated Lifesaving Lanyard, which features in the video link below.
http://youtu.be/56Ck_-ER3yE

We have enquired about buying one but at being quoted 9,500 we cannot afford the cost so we are planning on building our own version.

We are currently thinking about converting a Glen L X1 remote control prop design into a Jet Drive with some adaptions to the hull.

However we are very new to the RC world and have to learn more about the building process and designs.

Any advice regarding this build project would be much appreciated and if you guys come to London we can help put you up at a place to stay to repay the favour.

We simply need a little guidance on the build and design from chaps who know of the jet drive technology and hacks.

I hope you may be able to assist and advise.

Kind regards and cheers,

Alex.
T.A.M.S
I have nothing to say about the product that was 2010. What about multicopters?
Jan 13, 2017, 03:06 PM
I've been hoping to make something like this !!
more affordable and a lot better, maybe this year
and crowd source it, I'm in Manchester England,
here's a look at my small 28mm jet units at 85,,
it's the world leader at it's size !!
all the best
Mark

Hardcore Jet Boat Action !! (4 min 59 sec)
Jan 15, 2017, 02:32 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
TAMS, Just throwing a thought out for saving lives.! Perhaps your unit could offer something the other DON'T got as well,! Could also develop a launch/ deployable anti-shark sonic or otherwise "Depth -Charge" from it or a drag device (to also stop an ongoing strike) the increasing number of attacks before they worsen to a fatality. Don't know if we understand them or the tech is here yet but also am aware could be potential risk for the person trying to be saved with this "multi-device". Just a crazy thought,..... Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Jan 15, 2017, 06:04 AM
Good thinking Tim,
time would be paramount in a few scenarios ,
a boat just screaming about on the surface could be enough to off put
a shark as the motor and coupler gives off frequencies that are hard to ignore,
it might put him off his dinner, or just knock the shark out with the boat if he's cheeky :0)
speed is always a good thing to have at hand when required,
hope all is well bud
Mark
Jan 15, 2017, 06:35 AM
can you land on that ?
I`m sure shark experts will be able to advise on an underwater "pinger " frequency that would be off-putting . I seem to remember downed pilots in the Pacific had a dye that could prevent shark attacks by colouring the water, maybe had chemicals in it too , some of this could be deployed as well as a sound device. Of course we don't know if these type of deterrents would just infuriate the attacker into a more determined fury. Hungry shark bad, angry shark worse ! These ideas could be worth adding to the rescue float. How about other threats ie `gators and so on ? I suppose that any audio device that worked would have been deployed on places like Bondi Beach in Australia instead of nets and other physical barriers. Any ideas from "shark areas" ?
Last edited by arrow5; Jan 15, 2017 at 06:42 AM.
Jan 15, 2017, 11:33 AM
Wandering off a bit here. Sharks in the Thames tend to vanish under news crews.
Jan 19, 2017, 12:38 AM
A few more years of the hottest year on record,
you'll have sharks in the Thames
and you'll be growing pineapples in Blackpool,
semi joking aside,,
Rip tides are prevalent on any coast so a buoys jet drive that can navigate
strong moving water currents would be a good Idea,,
Here's a look at such a jet unit,,
I find it near impossible to comprehend how he can make them
so affordable and durable,, and go on adorable ,
yeh it's called hard work, so drag your finger out and lets save some kids,,
it'll make you feel a lot better,, trust me..
Mr Young
BOATS ROCK and RIVERS ROLL (3 min 3 sec)
Sep 21, 2017, 01:41 PM
Don't worry People,, I'm still serious,,
It's been a self financing venture and they can take a little time,
but if I can bring something to the table with this with this 53mm jet unit as I've done with the 28mm one,
it'll be good,, with a lot of extra performance at much reduced cost,
I've most things planned out so I should have something to look at in a few months,,
anyway,, no rest for the oppressed,, have a great day,
Mark
Youngsters 53 mm Jet Drive Unit (2 min 57 sec)

Youngsters RC Jet Boats, Watch What I Can Do !! (2 min 37 sec)
Nov 08, 2017, 09:46 PM
Looks like all are tucked up in bed in the UK,,
another 14 hour day for me,, I've had a lot on,,
I know people are still drowning out there
and things have only come on a bit, but a least I'm still at it,,
Here's a look at how it's coming on,,
durability and performance is the paramount consideration,
then it's the no-to-low maintenance and a market squashing price,,
I can feel the love,, anyway I must get to bed now,,
or I'll be loosing me looks
Hope all is Rockin
Mark