Sep 06, 2016, 09:16 AM
P3P,P4P+,M2P,Spark,Solo,X 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Such5
Mikelberry,
They could have supplied you with a 3,000mah 30c battery and you'd try and shoehorn a 3,100mah 31c battery in that thing! ;-)
LOL! Nah, I don't think so.

But, I did get these in just fine. A slightly longer screw did the trick.

And, I got the Walkera gimbal and camera mounted okay. I need to get some tiny nuts and bolts to do it right. For now, this set up is good.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2016, 09:18 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Awesome! I am anxious to hear how your flight times are with that set up and the new batteries.
Sep 06, 2016, 09:21 AM

First video from my modded X16

Well, I posted this on the other X-16 thread. I'm adding it here as well, just because.

BayangToys X-16 Typhoon with mods (Syma X8 killer?) (9 min 17 sec)
Sep 06, 2016, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Awesome! I am anxious to hear how your flight times are with that set up and the new batteries.
The new battery is great. I haven't really been able to do a duration test yet. It was too windy yesterday. But, hopefully this week.
Sep 06, 2016, 09:41 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Great vid! Looks like that set up works very well.
Sep 06, 2016, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Great vid! Looks like that set up works very well.
Thanks, Max! I need to get some better hardware to fasten the Walkera gimbal mount to the hull with. But, so far so good.
Sep 06, 2016, 09:38 PM
Thread OP
Mikelberry,
What did you use as a spacer between the gimbal mount and the bottom shell? I was going to do the same thing with a spacer or just trim off the extra plastic in the bottom shell that is protruding for the stock camera to clip on.
Sep 06, 2016, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Mikelberry,
What did you use as a spacer between the gimbal mount and the bottom shell? I was going to do the same thing with a spacer or just trim off the extra plastic in the bottom shell that is protruding for the stock camera to clip on.
I actually used some small sections of 1/2" vinyl tubing, just thick enough to allow the Walkera to mount to the hull, without altering the stock camera mount. You never know, you may want to use a Syma type mount again, someday. The tubing also acts as a shock absorbing material, cushion and keeps the screws tight.
Sep 11, 2016, 12:07 AM

bigger foot print, more stable landings

Here's another test flight of my Typhoon, from the 'hat-cam' view. I'm pretty happy with the new landing gear. I guess all my 350 class quads are going to wind up with this same gear.

BayangToys X-16 Typhoon, with mods. (10 min 33 sec)

Tomorrow, I'll upload the video from the quad, to YouTube. I think I'll title the video 'The eye of the Typhoon."

I know, I'm an insufferable a$$.
Last edited by mikelberry; Sep 11, 2016 at 12:14 AM.
Sep 11, 2016, 12:09 PM

Eye of the Typhoon

Here's the quad's view video from that flight. No sound. I must have turned the sound of on the camera somehow. One of these days, I'm going to learn how to add a sound track.

Eye of the Typhoon (7 min 35 sec)
Sep 16, 2016, 08:55 AM
Thread OP
I finally received the esc that was broken in my "drop like a rock" crash of my first X16 installed and I now realize that my second X16 I a little bit of a lemon. This repaired one flies like a dream. Rock solid hover, smooth as silk in flight. It did crash within the first 15 minutes of flights but I am 99% sure it was due to the prop nuts coming loose because I did not tighten them down enough. Again, I did tighten them down, but didn't really torque them down, because I assumed that left and right hand threads were used to keep them from coming loose and didn't see the point of cranking them down to the point of possible breakage. My fault! Another thing I noticed that seems different is the way it comes down. When you want to come down at a fast rate my other X16 is very easy to have a nearly uncontrollable drop. Kind of like the motors shut down for a split second until you give it more throttle, but since they need to be manually stopped via the controller that is not it. I guess I'd just say that there is a very fine line between fast decent and dropping nearly uncontrollable. I know this is the case with most quads but it is much more prevalent with this one. It also has quit a wobble when coming down. I know there is a scientific term for it, as I know different quads experience varying levels of this phenomenon. But my repaired X16 does not experience this effect at all. Overall it is just very smooth and consistent. My other X16 not so much. I can't get it trimmed out at all. I have reset the gyro and compass with no change. If I trim it out to a fairly neutral hover and rotate it 90* it will fly off in one direction, rotate it 90* more and it will fly off in a different direction, but not in the correlation direction from the previous rotation, it's really weird. One last thing, my only complaint is the lack of yaw and pitch. Should that be a really simple fix for future production of this quad? If it is easy, hopefully they do fix it.
Sep 18, 2016, 06:47 AM
Quote:
I finally received the esc that was broken in my "drop like a rock" crash of my first X16 installed and I now realize that my second X16 I a little bit of a lemon. This repaired one flies like a dream. Rock solid hover, smooth as silk in flight. It did crash within the first 15 minutes of flights but I am 99% sure it was due to the prop nuts coming loose because I did not tighten them down enough. Again, I did tighten them down, but didn't really torque them down, because I assumed that left and right hand threads were used to keep them from coming loose and didn't see the point of cranking them down to the point of possible breakage. My fault! Another thing I noticed that seems different is the way it comes down. When you want to come down at a fast rate my other X16 is very easy to have a nearly uncontrollable drop. Kind of like the motors shut down for a split second until you give it more throttle, but since they need to be manually stopped via the controller that is not it. I guess I'd just say that there is a very fine line between fast decent and dropping nearly uncontrollable. I know this is the case with most quads but it is much more prevalent with this one. It also has quit a wobble when coming down. I know there is a scientific term for it, as I know different quads experience varying levels of this phenomenon. But my repaired X16 does not experience this effect at all. Overall it is just very smooth and consistent. My other X16 not so much. I can't get it trimmed out at all. I have reset the gyro and compass with no change. If I trim it out to a fairly neutral hover and rotate it 90* it will fly off in one direction, rotate it 90* more and it will fly off in a different direction, but not in the correlation direction from the previous rotation, it's really weird. One last thing, my only complaint is the lack of yaw and pitch. Should that be a really simple fix for future production of this quad? If it is easy, hopefully they do fix it.
Hi there. Im new here. Just had my maiden flight on my x16 and just after take off about 5m from the ground it dropped like a sack of potatoes... Got home opened it up and found the RR esc burned... Which esc did you get to repair yours with? Or any suggestions? Should i just replace the one ESC or should i replace all four with something better? Any help will be appreciated.
Last edited by Acdroner; Sep 18, 2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Add a question
Sep 18, 2016, 07:09 AM
Photo of the esc that burned.
Last edited by Acdroner; Sep 18, 2016 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Photo added
Sep 20, 2016, 12:44 AM
Ok seems im busy with a monologue here but thought id just update ... The supplier will be sending me a replacement ESC and a new shell to replace the one that broke in the fall... Better than nothing i suppose.

Happy droning guys
Sep 20, 2016, 05:02 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Always a bummer when they drop from the sky. Was it just a faulty ESC, or is something wrong with that motor that caused the ESC to burn?

Quick Reply