Aug 19, 2016, 09:35 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bayangtoys X16

I got my Bayangtoys x16 yesterday. I ordered one from Bangood and one from Gearbest. Long story short, the thing has mega blast off speed! But you really can't do much with that speed as the yaw rate and other maneuvering commands are maybe even less than the Syma x8. Bad news though, half way through the second battery the thing dropped from the sky like a rock! Smashed it up pretty good. Broken speed controller is the worst part. I "think" one of the props came loose/off. It was just getting dark outside so I couldn't see exactly what happened but in the carnage I did find that two of the prop nuts/props were missing. Which wouldn't normally come off in a crash? I will admit that I did not check them before the second flight and did notice a slight prop flutter during the second flight. It is my first quad with actual prop nuts and I made the assumption that they were left and right hand threaded as to actually self tighten under load? I am thinking maybe bayangtoys got it backwards? As actually the two prop nuts were missing and the other two were very loose. All in all I think this quad will work great as a camera platform. Should be able to handle a gimbal and camera very easily.
Last edited by Such5; Aug 24, 2016 at 10:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2016, 10:27 PM
P3P,P4P+,M2P,Spark,Solo,X 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Such5
I got my bangtoys x16 yesterday. I ordered one from Bangood and one from gearbest. Long story short, the thing has mega blast off speed! But you really can't do much with that speed as the yaw rate and other maneuvering commands are maybe even less than the Syma x8. Bad news though, half way through the second battery the thing dropped from the sky like a rock! Smashed it up pretty good. Broken speed controller is the worst part. I "think" one of the props came loose/off. It was just getting dark outside so I couldn't see exactly what happened but in the carnage I did find that two of the prop nuts/props were missing. Which wouldn't normally come off in a crash? I will admit that I did not check them before the second flight and did notice a slight prop flutter during the second flight. It is my first quad with actual prop nuts and I made the assumption that they were left and right hand threaded as to actually self tighten under load? I am thinking maybe bayangtoys got it backwards? As actually the two prop nuts were missing and the other two were very loose. All in all I think this quad will work great as a camera platform. Should be able to handle a gimbal and camera very easily.
Me and some other guys, over in the Syma X8C venture thread have ordered these. I just got mine today. I can tell you to go ahead and get some DJI Phantom self tightening props. That will eliminate the loose prop nut problem.

I (and maybe a few others from the other thread) will be joining you over here, to delve deeper into this thing.
Aug 24, 2016, 09:08 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
If you tighten the stock prop nuts down firmly, they won't come loose or fly off. They are indeed self tightening, but you have to make sure you get them good and snug. Use the prop for extra leverage when turning the wrench if you aren't sure that you've gotten them tight enough.

The X16 should, as you say make for an excellent camera platform. Do you have a gimbal in mind that you plan on using?

An inexpensive option for mounting a GoPro or other similar size action cam is this mount. The stock camera mount for the X8G is confirmed to be a direct fit on the X16 so any mounts that work with the X8 series quads will work with this.
Aug 24, 2016, 09:56 AM
Thread OP
I did get my second X16 and have enough flights to get a feel for it. First, this quad is "not" acrobatic. Fairly slow yaw, roll, and pitch. This is made worse because the thing lift off like a rocket! The second thing is that it does not hold a hover very well at all. I have yet to figure out what's up with that. I reset the gyro and get it trimmed out perfectly. It will hover in one spot perfectly. When I rotate the quad 90 degrees it's like it got hit with a gust of wind and flies off to one direction. Rotate the quad 90 more degrees and it's like it got hit with a gust of wind from a different direction. What's weird is that it varies as to which direction. Normally I do not care, but when trying to hold the quad still and push a button to take a picture is when I really notice it. Also, I did buy the Phantom Props. I have only flown a few flights with them and didn't notice much difference in flying characteristics. I "think" they may be a little quieter? They are more rigid than the stock props, so you don't get as much of the intermittent "flutter" sound.
Last edited by Such5; Aug 24, 2016 at 10:24 AM.
Aug 24, 2016, 10:15 AM
Thread OP
fastmax,
I have used the stock camera and mount from an X8G. The connection is somewhat intermittent. I have to plug and unplug the camera a couple of times before it actually powers up. The last time it powered up and I took some pics and video, but when I brought it back in the light was blinking red and the camera was not functioning properly. So I am not really confident in the X8G camera right now. I also have a Walkera G2 D gimbal and attached it yesterday, but have not flown with it yet. I wanted to feel comfortable that the X16 was not going to drop from the sky and use my gimbal and camera for a shock absorber! ;-)
Aug 24, 2016, 10:29 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
I won't be using the X8G camera, I will probably be using a camera with it's own power source so I won't be connecting to the stock jack.

Odd that you are experiencing hovering issues. I've not had that problem. Did you do the compass calibration as well as the gyro calibration?
Aug 24, 2016, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Yes, I've done the compass calibration and the gyro calibration, with no improvement. I am waiting for an esc/speed controller for my other X16 that got broken in a mechanical failure crash. I am anxious to see if the other X16 has the same hover issue. I didn't notice that it didn't hover well, but I only flew it for 10-15 minutes before it dropped from the sky like a brick.
Aug 24, 2016, 10:52 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Hmmm, I'm anxious to learn if you have the same issue with the other X16 as well. Be sure to keep us posted.
Aug 24, 2016, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Such5
Yes, I've done the compass calibration and the gyro calibration, with no improvement. I am waiting for an esc/speed controller for my other X16 that got broken in a mechanical failure crash. I am anxious to see if the other X16 has the same hover issue. I didn't notice that it didn't hover well, but I only flew it for 10-15 minutes before it dropped from the sky like a brick.
Two questions:

Where are you getting your parts? I'd like to get a headstart on having spares at the ready.

And,

Are there instructions for compass and gyro calibration in the owners manual?
Aug 24, 2016, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
If you tighten the stock prop nuts down firmly, they won't come loose or fly off. They are indeed self tightening, but you have to make sure you get them good and snug. Use the prop for extra leverage when turning the wrench if you aren't sure that you've gotten them tight enough.

The X16 should, as you say make for an excellent camera platform. Do you have a gimbal in mind that you plan on using?

An inexpensive option for mounting a GoPro or other similar size action cam is this mount. The stock camera mount for the X8G is confirmed to be a direct fit on the X16 so any mounts that work with the X8 series quads will work with this.
Hey Max, gotta question for you. If the nuts really don't have any counter force to keep them turned in the locking direction (like the self-tightening props do) what keeps them from coming off?
Aug 24, 2016, 10:18 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
The nuts are threaded in the opposite direction of motor rotation, so the spinning force is by nature tightening them. The only thing I can think of that is causing so many people to have problems with losing prop nuts is that they are too concerned with over tightening, and are therefore not snugging them down with enough bite. Once they become loose enough there will be enough vibration and backlash to throw them off.
Aug 25, 2016, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
mikelberry,
I have ordered parts from wl-toys.com and from banggood.com. I haven't received my order from wl-toys, but did get my extra batteries I ordered from banggood.

fastmax,
I will tell you that I did initially tighten the props nuts fairly tight, but I will say I didn't torque them down. I am always tentative when tightening down on plastic parts. There is a fine line, and once you cross it, you may not be flying at all. I flew for a few minutes, charged the battery and flew again for a few minutes, until it dropped from the sky. I should have checked the prop nuts in between flights, but I didn't even think about it as I knew the nuts were left and right hand threaded and should only get more tight, not less. I will always say that I am not 100% sure what happened. I was flying right at dusk and was up near some treetops, so I didn't have the best view. When I got to the carnage two props were off and the two black nuts were gone. And when I check the silver nuts they were loose. One of the props was probably 10 feet from the quad. I had heard of the original batch of the X16's having issues with the quads just shutting down while in flight. So that was my instant thought. But after seeing two props and two prop nuts off the quad that was the direction I went with my thinking.
Aug 26, 2016, 11:29 AM
Quote:
The nuts are threaded in the opposite direction of motor rotation, so the spinning force is by nature tightening them. The only thing I can think of that is causing so many people to have problems with losing prop nuts is that they are too concerned with over tightening, and are therefore not snugging them down with enough bite. Once they become loose enough there will be enough vibration and backlash to throw them off.
I agree that because the nuts are threaded in the opposite direction of the prop rotation, that they shouldn't come loose very easily. However, there's not really any counter-force to prevent them from coming off. They don't have enough mass or inertia to keep them pushed opposite the rotation.

Once the props reach a stable rate of speed, any vibration can cause the nuts to loosen, IF there's not enough compression to keep them locked on. Just like once we stop accelerating in our cars, we no longer feel the inertia and aren't being pushed back in our seats.

Really, the only thing that keeps the 'self-tightening' props on (aside from a little friction at the optimum torque applied as you put them on) is that they are always fighting wind resistance. If there was no atmosphere for them to fight, they would spin off into space.
Aug 26, 2016, 11:46 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
If you tighten them down enough I can assure you that they won't just loosen up and fly off. I have going on 20 packs through my X16, and have not experienced the slightest loosening of a prop nut.

There is a lot more rotational force going on then you might think when those motors are spooled up. Don't be afraid to put a good firm wrenching on them. It's not going to hurt anything.

The self tightening props are cool though, and I'll probably end up ordering some in the near future.
Last edited by fastmax; Aug 26, 2016 at 11:52 AM.
Aug 26, 2016, 04:40 PM
Quote:
If you tighten them down enough I can assure you that they won't just loosen up and fly off. I have going on 20 packs through my X16, and have not experienced the slightest loosening of a prop nut.

There is a lot more rotational force going on then you might think when those motors are spooled up. Don't be afraid to put a good firm wrenching on them. It's not going to hurt anything.

The self tightening props are cool though, and I'll probably end up ordering some in the near future.

I agree completely, enough torque will keep anything from coming loose. I guess I'm just too chicken to apply that much torque. Sometimes, I'm like Bullwinkle. I don't know my own strength. I break things.

Quick Reply