Aug 18, 2016, 07:15 PM
Walked away from all landings
Thread OP
Discussion

FMS Website New, Free Shipping - no listing for Canada or the USA

I have ordered a couple of FMS planes and items that were not available at my regular dealer. The S&H charges were at the high end of what I expected but then when you want it now you often do not have a choice.

I checked out the new web site which states Free S&H Anywhere for orders over $100 and decided to order an item that they have in stock but is still a preorder here in North America.

My id no longer worked so I attempted to re-register and as I was filling out the form you have to indicate your address, complete with Country.

I could not complete the form, Canada is not on the pull down list of Countries that FMS uses.

I also noticed that the USA was not listed as well

Is there another web page for North American customers?
Last edited by DonRhone; Aug 18, 2016 at 07:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2016, 07:43 PM
Arrowhead
I suspect you'll have to order from Horizon Hobby...
Aug 19, 2016, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I did order from Force RC and found out they now use a courier FedEx. Before I had shopped at Diamond Hobbies (before the name change) a number of times and they shipped with USPS.

I made a purchase lately and it will be my last, I just received a bill from FedEx and for the T-28, a battery and extra prop I bought I now have a bill before me for $105.47 in addition to the shipping fee and purchase price.

The bill from FedEx represents what I am told were the provincial and federal taxes as well as a brokers fee and even a disbursement bond fee.

When it wase Diamond Hobbies, they used USPS, now it appears some sort of exclusive arrangement with FedEx. so the USPS option is not available.

It is a hit and miss if packages with rc planes are charged with taxes, some are, some are not. It is at random with the majority not being charged and the occasional package is. But brokers fees of nearly $50.00, no more.

I did contact Jim and he was unaware, he was going to get back to me but did not. I told him I would no longer shop there unless he shipped to me in Canada using USPS.
Last edited by DonRhone; Aug 19, 2016 at 02:22 PM.
Aug 19, 2016, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
I suspect you'll have to order from Horizon Hobby...
I do shop at Motion RC, they give you options on who to use for shipping. However, the e-mail from FMS saying free shipping ANYWHERE caught my attention.
Aug 19, 2016, 02:25 PM
Arrowhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRhone
I do shop at Motion RC, they give you options on who to use for shipping. However, the e-mail from FMS saying free shipping ANYWHERE caught my attention.
I can understand why that would get your attention!

Yes, the couriers will gouge the h*ll out of Canadians shipping anything in the the US. It's bloody criminal! I too no longer buy from US retailers if they only ship via courier.

In Andy's defence, he's a Spektrum employee, not Force RC or Motion.
Aug 19, 2016, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
In Andy's defence, he's a Spektrum employee, not Force RC or Motion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_Hobby

While it's not 100% up-to-date, note in particular the paragraph, "It is also the parent company for ..."

Andy
Aug 19, 2016, 04:56 PM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
^^ WTH is Parkzone?
Aug 19, 2016, 08:32 PM
Arrowhead
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_Hobby

While it's not 100% up-to-date, note in particular the paragraph, "It is also the parent company for ..."

Andy
And here I was giving you as much distance as possible! :P
Aug 20, 2016, 09:08 AM
Well I personally believe the comment is valuable feedback, and should be relayed through the normal channels that people want alternatives. I know that using just one really does streamline the shipping process.

Shoot, when I place an order for some small DuBro parts, it comes in a big box about 6x6x12. I used to complain about "the wasted box and packaging materials" but talking with one of the guys running the software system, he showed me how much it saved by not having them do things the old way (which was, leave it in a bag for employees to pick up instead of a box). While on a piece-by-piece item for employees it might look like waste, in the bigger picture of shipping it was a huge savings. I'm all for huge savings!

Besides, the boxes come in handy at home.

Andy
Aug 20, 2016, 02:05 PM
Thread OP

I do miss dealing with Diamond Hobbies

Quote:
Well I personally believe the comment is valuable feedback, and should be relayed through the normal channels that people want alternatives. I know that using just one really does streamline the shipping process.

Shoot, when I place an order for some small DuBro parts, it comes in a big box about 6x6x12. I used to complain about "the wasted box and packaging materials" but talking with one of the guys running the software system, he showed me how much it saved by not having them do things the old way (which was, leave it in a bag for employees to pick up instead of a box). While on a piece-by-piece item for employees it might look like waste, in the bigger picture of shipping it was a huge savings. I'm all for huge savings!

Besides, the boxes come in handy at home.

Andy
I do not know how many Canadians shopped at ForceRC(Diamond) before the changes. However, I think that with a standard Brokers Fee and Disbursement Charges that FedEx charges its Canadian Customers that the number will be significantly less.

Also like those small boxes, but am not going to pay $50 to get one.

In the past Jim at ForceRC(Diamond) helped me a few times and I certainly felt like a valued customer. However, can not and will not pay the FedEx fees associated with their Canadian delivery.

FYI, Jim had no idea that his Canadian customers would be subject to any additional costs. He certainly sounded sincere and even offered me a coupon for 20% off my next purchase. He indicated that he would certainly be looking into it and would be getting more information from the parent company about this situation. However, I never did hear back.

For those that are unaware Bang Good handles quite a few FMS planes and charges cheap S&H fees, shipping may take a while but I certainly have saved significant money not paying any more hidden FedEx fees.
Aug 20, 2016, 02:47 PM
Thread OP

Free Shipping From FMS anywhere in the world - except North America

Well I just received an e-mail from FMS explaining that Any Where in the world does not cover North America.

The reason is contract obligations with their USA importers.

So Canada and the USA both are excluded from this FMS offer.

I can only hope that the Eleven Hobby line carried by Bang good does eventually bring in parts as well. They did follow through with most parts for their T-28, now if they will just follow through.

Funny thing is I still will be buying FMS just not through their USA importer. Which of course is due to excessive hidden FedEx charges to any Canadian customer.
Aug 20, 2016, 04:03 PM
Arrowhead
I don't think most US retailers realize what the couriers charge by way of brokerage, etc. The ones I have dealt with in this regard are shocked at the least. Some have offered to ship via other means (ie. USPS) upon request.

Quick Reply