This thread is privately moderated by bluem6, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 18, 2016, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Armattan MRP 130

Finished another build. Trying to save money for a big build so I had this Amarttan MRP 130 laying around and decided to take out the "Ad X" motors and use it on this project.

1. Frame - Armattan MRP 130mm with missing fpv "pod" purchase for $8

2. Motors - Use DYS 1306 3100kv

3. Naze32 rev 6(from BG, $11)

4. PDB (included with frame)

5. Props - 3x3 (left over from Diatone Spadger 150 build)

6. Battery - Turnigy 3S 1000mah 60c and/or Zippy 4s 1000mah 35c

7. ESC - DYS BLHeli 16A (from HK with pins on them, got them for
$3.50 when it was on sale)

This was another budget build so I decided to take my time and make it compact to save weight. Wires from motor were cut as short as I can and everything was direct solder. Somewhere during the build I had the XT60 connector reverse and I swear I double and triple check.

Everything was going good until I decided to test the BEC and poof magic smoke. I know, use a smokestopper...but I didn't for some reason. Now comes the fun part, trying to see what burn and what didn't. Negative side of PDB burnt, one ESC burnt and BEC. Beat myself up over it and left it for the day...

Day 5, repaired PDB on the negative terminal and switch XT60. Replaced the burn ESC with another DYS 20A instead. I had no more 16A to use and was not going to buy 1 or 2 from HK unless I make a big order. Power up everything and it work like a charm, calibrate ESC and flash to the newest BLHeli to date then did a few throttle test and "poof" another ESC die......

Day 6, somehow the cheap ESC from HK decided to quit working after a few throttle test....replaced it with another DYS 20A and we're back in business. Got the Naze32 mounted, strip the Lemon DMS2 satellite out of it's case to save 1-2 gram and mounted it directly on top of the Naze32.

Day 7, printed a cover for the Naze32, tighten everything to test with Betaflight and it was a little 'jumpy'. Turn down the PID a bit and everything was great.

Final thought: Use a smoke stopper and double double check your connections, could save you a few ESC in the process . Currently this is my smallest build and on 3S it is under 250g so no FAA registration to worry about. Have not fully test it on 4S just yet. ...

If I had to do it over and with some "budget", would like to try a higher kv motor and better ESC. I have flown it 5x so far and it is great for the budget, quick, super stable and tiny...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2016, 11:39 PM
Thread OP
Update:

Crashed my Armattan pretty far up and bent the frame. Finally got a chance to take it apart and found out one of the ESC signal pin was hanging by a strand, one of the crystal on the flight controller rip off....

Took it apart, replace the PDB and remount the XT60. The way they had it before with Armattan is facing down and it's taking a lot of room to clear it. The lipo wires would be in the way and I couldn't "sit" it properly...plus the PDB shows sign of more issue due to my reverse polarity incident.

Got everything up and running again, this time I manage to shave 10g off the build. Naked weight is 124 now and with 4S 1000mah 25C Zippy it is right at 244g. Have not had the chance to take it to the park to fully test it. Also reprinted the Naze top plate to add my initial on it now lol

Video before the crash:
Armattan MRP 130mm acro (3 min 56 sec)
Sep 15, 2016, 01:18 PM
Forward ever, backward never!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem6
Got everything up and running again, this time I manage to shave 10g off the build. Naked weight is 124 now and with 4S 1000mah 25C Zippy it is right at 244g. Have not had the chance to take it to the park to fully test it.
That's a nice (re-) build, bluem6! Love that you built the MRP 130 as an LOS acro quad. Pretty wild that you hit the sub-250g mark despite the 4S 1000mAh LiPo. Good work!
Sep 15, 2016, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, most of my builds, probably all are LOS. This has been my favorite due to the size and the quickness. I got some 850mah 4s in the other day and I can say it has been awesome flying it with this setup. Look like the sweet spot is 850mah (3s or 4s). I've also manage to increase my PID by 2 due to the "silicon" rubber cushion that I use between the flight controller...

Not sure if you can tell the difference but here's a video of it on 850mah 4s.
Armattan MRP 130mm with 850mah 4S (5 min 30 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
That's a nice (re-) build, bluem6! Love that you built the MRP 130 as an LOS acro quad. Pretty wild that you hit the sub-250g mark despite the 4S 1000mAh LiPo. Good work!

Quick Reply