Aug 18, 2016, 01:30 PM
No problemo...
Thread OP

Night flying at NEAT

Hey guys,

I doubt I'm alone when I say that a huge part of the NEAT experience for me is the night flying. My home flying field does not allow for flying after hours, so I have to get my fix the time I'm at NEAT Fair. Night flying is such a unique experience, and if you haven't tried it before I highly recommend it. Plus it gives you the opportunity to participate in the infamous Saturday Night Slow Fly/Balloon Burst contest

This year I think my night planes might actually outnumber my day flyers Here's what I'm bringing to keep me busy after the sun goes down (among other things)...
> RA Cores BluFO
> Leadfeather's 3D Delta
> Goldenguy's Nutball
> Hammerhead (my new scratch-built Saturday night contest plane)

I'm also working on one other night flyer - one of my flying buddies wants to do a little high-speed nightflying so I'm trying to get something together for that - we'll see how that goes Naturally it'll meet Tom's after hours noise restrictions.

So, what are you guys bringing? Anything new and exciting we should be looking forward to checking out? Any fancy lighting setups that will cause us to pause and say "wow..."?

BTW it's going to be a full moon the latter part of NEAT week, but I think we'll be OK with that

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2016, 02:13 PM
I'm bringing my old Miracle that has 5 meters of lights on it along with my 200QX quad. I may also bring Carolynn's rcrich orb done up as Pacman. It's needs a bit of rework.

And yes, NEAT is the 2nd best place to night fly I have ever been to. Mostly cause the bugs aren't too bad. Best place I have night flown is off the lake I live on in the winter in the morning before sunrise! No bugs and no wind.

I'm not a night owl so being up before sunrise it more normal to me than staying up late in the evening <grin>.
Aug 18, 2016, 04:29 PM
Now that's a low pass !!
Pretty boring stuff here, I'll bring my HK Flybeam and I think one of the guys in our group is going to bring some kind of Walrus thing :0
Aug 18, 2016, 05:30 PM
AMA 415
I'll have my Potenski Christen Eagle night flyer and possibly a prototype Sawn Craft night flyer as well!
Aug 18, 2016, 10:05 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhillag1
Pretty boring stuff here, I'll bring my HK Flybeam and I think one of the guys in our group is going to bring some kind of Walrus thing :0
Tim King did a review of the Night Walrus on here and it seemed pretty good. It will be nice to see one in person
Aug 19, 2016, 05:03 AM
Head NEAT geek
We will be having a usual saturday night slow flyer contest. For those who have flown before the rules have not changed. for those that have not, they willbe posted in s separate thread.

Basically, models must be no more than 3S and be SLOW flyers! Think GWS Slow Stick and similar. flat foamy 3d ships are fine.
Aug 19, 2016, 05:07 AM
Now that's a low pass !!
The Night Walrus is a pretty big airplane, it looks and flies great but IMO is to large and not maneuverable enough for the slow flyer contest..
Aug 19, 2016, 10:30 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Agreed, the night walrus is too large for the contest, should be a good flyer for general night flying duty. I'll have mine along.

Think it's 11 night flyers coming, many of which are wings that are quiet enough so long as I don't pin throttle. Most of which flew at NEAT last year. The three "check this out" builds all got interrupted so I won't have the splash items I was planning to bring, and the Big Easy died loud at Warwick.

Assassin assassin popwing zorro skimmer stryker firefly mini grem stuntbipe fenix walrus.
Last edited by BrownEyedFool; Aug 19, 2016 at 04:26 PM.
Aug 19, 2016, 08:31 PM
This will be my first Neat fair is there a size limit for night plane ? I am bringing my scratch built night senior E-Kadet and hope to fly it at dusk.

Bob
Aug 19, 2016, 08:40 PM
No problemo...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2RYD
This will be my first Neat fair is there a size limit for night plane ? I am bringing my scratch built night senior E-Kadet and hope to fly it at dusk.

Bob
None that I know of. Let's put it this way - a few years ago we had a gentleman fly what I'd call a giant-scale night flyer. It had to have a wingspan over ten feet - it was pretty awesome. FWIW we've had Senior Kadet night fliers before - you'll fit right in

Rob
Last edited by stangrob; Aug 19, 2016 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Grammar error
Aug 20, 2016, 03:11 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Only real night time limitation I'm aware of is noise, screaming wings at midnight aren't well received. Half of my wings I specifically don't take to full throttle after dark as a result.
Aug 23, 2016, 02:16 PM
No problemo...
Thread OP

Hammerhead

I did get one of my new nightflyers done - still working on the second. I still need to do some fine tuning on the balance and throws but she feels good. Figuring out the CG with the weird wing layout was a bit of a challenge but it was close enough to fly safely. I find it funny how your knees knock even when test flying foam

Rob
Aug 23, 2016, 07:30 PM
Crazy pilot - gone insane...
I'm 'nighting' my CarbonZ cub with around 25 meters of LED's!

Hopefully It'll fly as nicely with the small amount of added weight
Aug 23, 2016, 07:53 PM
No problemo...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by harttvboy
I'm 'nighting' my CarbonZ cub with around 25 meters of LED's!

Hopefully It'll fly as nicely with the small amount of added weight
I doubt it'll notice the difference

Rob
Aug 23, 2016, 08:08 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Come a long way since the Hitech guys lit up a bird from the INSIDE!!

I'll miss you guys, bring a spare set of shoes for night flying... grass gets pretty wet at night.

Tommy D

Quick Reply