Aug 18, 2016, 12:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Ducted fan jet

Hallo everyone

I recently acquired an old ducted fan jet powered by a 46 size OS engine and thought I should share it with my fellow modellers .

I am not sure what oil content I should use , I mix my own fuel and also have access to turbine engine oils . So I will have to do some homework before I fly her .

Apparently it is really fast !
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2016, 04:32 PM
I have do many many flights with Byrons fan and Rossi 105.
Usually I used 20% of Nitro and 20% of Motul Micro oil for glow engines.
McCoy Mc-9 plugs.

Byron MiG-15 RC Ducted fan Jet Martina Massimo (2 min 6 sec)

F-16 Thunderbirds RC Ducted fan Jet Martina Massimo (2 min 30 sec)

But in these days the ICDF are completely out of the market.
Aug 19, 2016, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
Hi there 2M86

Nice jets !
The nitro ducted fans might be out of the market , but it sure looks fun to fly .
Sep 06, 2016, 10:15 AM
The old glo powered ducted fan models needed a crew to get the engine started. The placement of the engine required some kind of extension on the starter to start the engine, tractor or pusher. They did get better with more powerful engines but the early ones were marginal.
It was the closest to jet flying at the time.
Sep 06, 2016, 11:11 PM
Thread OP
I flew this plane 2 weekends ago and it had no problems with it.
There were so many clubmates interrested and wanting to help that I can barely remember starting it!

It flies real nice and I kept the landing speed high, now to try slow it down as it doesnt have flaps

Quick Reply