This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 17, 2016, 12:09 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Two revisited reviews

As the summer labors on, I try and think back to the last time I flew an airplane.

The last time I was at the field was more than a month ago when I got video of the HobbyKing Super-G autogyro and before that, I honestly can't remember flying a plane at the club in recent months. It's been too hot, too windy or both at the club.

However, this crazy hot weather with its almost daily heat warnings continues to provide the opportunity to revisit old multirotor and helicopter friends either in the house, at the park or out front.

That said, I just flew my XK EC145 helicopter from Tmart.com and the neat little JJRC H20 nano hexacopter from Gearbest.com. I reviewed the helicopter in January 2016 and the hexacopter in October 2015.

I guess I've been spoiled with mini multirotors; the EC145 takes a more determined hand to fly it, even with the six-axis gyro engaged. Breezy conditions didn't help, so it was back to the living room to run out the batteries. Much better.

Once the initial charge drops off a bit, the model becomes a lot more controllable. It isn't difficult to control by any means, but it's both CCPM and small. The flybarless system does its job well and the scale look is just unbeatable. Add to that Futaba S-FHSS compatibility, brushless power and good parts availability and the little Eurocopter is one of the biggest bangs for the buck in micro helis. If one were to bind it to a Futaba radio, the possibilities of fine tuning are limitless.

The little H20 hexacopter is simply in a league of its own. It's almost impossibly inexpensive, fun to fly and it remains one of the best indoor flyers I own. I wrote about woefully inadequate radio range, a problem seemingly common with JJRC products. That loss of signal nearly resulted in a lost model! The problem was quickly solved by simply taking apart the transmitter, drilling a hole in the case and running the antenna coax through the hole. No more flyaways and it'll now go out of sight!

I still have a few small models which are going to get workouts, so please watch this space!
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Aug 21, 2016 at 02:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply