Aug 17, 2016, 09:08 AM
Thread OP
Question

Hubsan X4 H501C versus XK X251 Whirlwind

Dear wise pilots,

Please help me choose.
My criteria for a quadcopter: Brushless motors, light, not too fragile, cheap and RTF.

I came up with these two candidates:
Hubsan X4 H501C
XK X251 Whirlwind
The main difference imao is the GPS and camera on the Hubsan, but the XK being more compact.

It is meant for some playful 3D flying in the park and on the countryside when work-life becomes too serious and dull. I have already an Emax Nighthawk pro 280, but (honestly) it has too many advanced settings for my need and preparing a flight tends to become laborious and lengthy (True, Iím no engineer). Living in the city, it's also a bit too big and aggressive to use in the park when other people is around.

Considering my short notes about my need, which one would you pick and why?

Best wishes from Denmark
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2016, 09:15 AM
the hubsan is much better.
better design, longest battery i 've seen in sub 250 quad. you just can not build a quadcopter with that long of battery life.
Aug 17, 2016, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
Thanks - the difference in battery life is a good point to consider.
Aug 17, 2016, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Kjaer
Thanks - the difference in battery life is a good point to consider.
better design is another point i want to make, just not a fan of the emax 280 or carbon fiber frame in general. best of all, you don't have to mess with the controller setting , just power up and fly. i make a huge mistake of build one as my first quad.
Last edited by peter123r; Aug 17, 2016 at 05:12 PM.
Aug 18, 2016, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
The plug and play factor is also important to me. Have you tried both the Hubsan and the XK?
Aug 18, 2016, 12:44 PM
not yet. i m interested in the upgraded transmitter model, but the local dealer don't have it yet. initially, i was looking for a x4 h501c to do a little modding with other flight controller/transmitter. i think the way hubsan do their design is interesting :1600kv motor+ 7 inch prop+ 10 c 2700mah> long battery life
Aug 18, 2016, 03:00 PM
This is not a good comparison.

X4 is a slower quad with gps, alt hold, rth. More of features people use for camera work, etc.

Xk x251 is a pure sport flyer. Much faster than the x4. No alt hold, no gps, etc.

Xk has 3000kv motors.
X4 has 1650kv motors. Weak.
Xk has 950 mah battery for fast sport flying.
X4 has 2700 mah. That's not a sport flying pack!

The xk x251 is also 50 less than an x4.

And neither are 3d quads. The can't fly inverted. They don't even have acro mode either.
Last edited by Thickfog; Aug 18, 2016 at 03:12 PM.
Aug 18, 2016, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123r
the hubsan is much better.
better design, longest battery i 've seen in sub 250 quad. you just can not build a quadcopter with that long of battery life.
Better in what regards? The quads are two different categories. The plastic framed x4 will break after a while. Plastic frames are trash in any brushless sport flyer.

Sure you can build a quad that flys as long as the x4. Use weak 1650 motors and a large mah battery like the huge 2700 mah as they have in the x4. You get a a slow slug that can fly long. No mystery here. It's not magic
Aug 18, 2016, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog
Better in what regards? The quads are two different categories. The plastic framed x4 will break after a while. Plastic frames are trash in any brushless sport flyer.

Sure you can build a quad that flys as long as the x4. Use weak 1650 motors and a large mah battery like the huge 2700 mah as they have in the x4. You get a a slow slug that can fly long. No mystery here. It's not magic
Hmm, no. Not in sub 250 quad, not in this forum as long as I am aware. Beside, you can add another 2700 mah to push 30 minute fly time.

I did not follow this forum last six months. Last time I check, sub 250 quad will fly from 2-3 minutes for fast racer, 8-12 minute for everyone else.
Aug 18, 2016, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Hmm, no. Not in sub 250 quad, not in this forum as long as I am aware. Beside, you can add another 2700 mah to push 30 minute fly time.

I did not follow this forum last six months. Last time I check, sub 250 quad will fly from 2-3 minutes for fast racer, 8-12 minute for everyone else.
The x4 is a 450 gram quad. That's not a a racer. You can strap a large battery on any qaud and fly for 30 mins.
Not sure what you're taking about. 2 to 3 mins? Most everyone is getting fat longer than that.

The xk 251 is 215 grams. Less than half the weight!

It's pure physics. Hubsan had not invented some magic power machine that can fly for a long time. Slow motors, large batteries equals long flight time. X4 is not a sporty quad. Especially not at 450 grams and 7inch plus props.... it's a stable flying camera holder.
As I said before these quads are apples and oranges.

If someone wants a sport brushless, compare the jjrc x1 to the xk x251
Aug 18, 2016, 03:49 PM
Also look up x4 501 flyaway. Just what someone wants from a fancy gps self flying quad.
Aug 18, 2016, 03:49 PM
Quote:
The x4 is a 450 gram quad. That's not a a racer. You can strap a large battery on any qaud and fly for 30 mins.
Not sure what you're taking about. 2 to 3 mins? Most everyone is getting fat longer than that.

The xk 251 is 215 grams. Less than half the weight!

It's pure physics. Hubsan had not invented some magic power machine that can fly for a long time. Slow motors, large batteries equals long flight time. X4 is not a sporty quad. Especially not at 450 grams and 7inch plus props.... it's a stable flying camera holder.
As I said before these quads are apples and oranges.

If someone wants a sport brushless, compare the jjrc x1 to the xk x251
Link me to a sub 250 quad that can fly 20 minute with 2700mah and 30 minute with 5400mah.
Aug 18, 2016, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Link me to a sub 250 quad that can fly 20 minute with 2700mah and 30 minute with 5400mah.
Xk x251 for starts. Jjrc x1.
I'm not sure what you find so magical (or unbelievable) about strapping a huge battery on a small quad with weak motors and getting long flight times.
I know you are dying to believe hubsan found some magical solution and made a unicorn quad. Well, believe it if it makes you happy.
Aug 18, 2016, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Xk x251 for starts. Jjrc x1.
I'm not sure what you find so magical (or unbelievable) about strapping a huge battery on a small quad with weak motors and getting long flight times.
I know you are dying to believe hubsan found some magical solution and made a unicorn quad. Well, believe it if it makes you happy.
optimize battery flight time is quite an achievement. if you are not aware of the situation, read a bit and educate yourself :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1880665
Aug 18, 2016, 05:05 PM
Quote:
optimize battery flight time is quite an achievement. if you are not aware of the situation, read a bit and educate yourself :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1880665
And you should read it again. Educate yourself on a qaud building.

There is nothing miraculous in there. It's called physics and common sense.

Large battery, light quad, small motors, larger props, mediocre performance like the x4 is not optimized. It's just a lousy combo most manufacturers won't do. Who wants a tiny, slow, camera quad? I like actually flying my quads without having gps, headless, alt hold keeping the qaud in the sky.

Quick Reply