Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 16, 2016, 04:14 PM
Question

2 Meter multihull

I am just wondering if anyone (in theUS) has built and/or is considering the build of a 2 meter multihull - catamaran or trimaran - in the near future. Finished up some template designs and thinking of glass over a foam plug if I proceed.

I know there were a couple of America's Cup boats started but haven't heard or seen any further activity.

Thanks for any updates.

Dick
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2016, 04:39 PM

2m

The closest I've come is the Fire Arrow-LOA 65", beam 79".
I built it out of balsa and carbon and foam. Lots of shapes that added weight-target was 16.8lb and wound up 21lb with a lot of SA.(3390 sq.in. main + jib/ 4087 sq.in. with Code Zero). Designed and built as a scale model of a 19.5 foot tri.
Talked to Magnus about it and we both agreed that if one was very careful a 2M X 2M foiler could be done for around 12lb or maybe less. The problem I find with a one off is keeping the finish light enough. I built plugs and molds for the F3* and that made it easy to keep it light.
Good Luck!

*F3-1668sq.in.(reefable)-7.5lb=222 sq.in./lb SA.-5 mph wind takeoff.
--
Fire Arrow-3390 sq.in. -21.3lb=159 sq.in./lb SA.-5mph wind takeoff.
Last edited by DLord; Aug 16, 2016 at 04:50 PM.
Aug 16, 2016, 05:08 PM
Hi Dick, not in the US but yes planning to build a 2m trimaran.. from my own design. Have no idea it it will work but first finishing the restoration of an A class now near completion for our fleet and my own one too now still bare hull. But then yes would aim to build it.
Aug 16, 2016, 05:15 PM
Good to hear from you. Missed your posts. I suppose....We can let you post here! LOL

Always room for one more. Please keep us updated. Trying to find players willing to pull the proverbial lead out of their !!#$ and see what fast, high speed sailing is all about.
Aug 16, 2016, 05:21 PM
Hi Dick, yes a bit busy and trying to launch the A class in our country but I restored my old cobra design mini40 and I also have a sailing version of the well known Jet Service 2 of 1.7m but more for show... I truly enjoyed racing my cobra in France but really miss the pace of the multis ;-)

Don't worry when I get to it I will post some pics and progress. :-)
Keep the Multis alive!!!
Aug 16, 2016, 05:29 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Dock and Doug,
I bet f you went over to Facebook you would find a lot more multihull sailors. The group RC Multihull post lots of pics and video.
Aug 16, 2016, 05:57 PM
W Kuhns
Hi Dick. It's another dream as I'm sure you are aware of. I am very interested in one of these especially big as you know why. Love to see how you are going to do it. And perhaps, I will give a hand at one. I have alot of respect for you and Doug. For the designing of boats. Lmk if you come up with something and a how too with the foam. I would be interested in buying plans if you are intending on selling them. Thanks Bill
Aug 16, 2016, 07:42 PM
Hi Bill,
My current plan is to build as I have done with my other multihulls - extruded foam, shaped, covered with packing tape for release and then some glass+epoxy. I don't think there will be plans - but after I sail it (if & when) I may make copies of the templates. Basically you'd get a set of templates and spacing between them. A sheet of 4x8 EXTRUDED - NOT EXPANDED foam should give you enough for your two hulls. This is a bigger boat than what you already have. Rules limit it to 2 meters in length, 2 meters wide and mast height of 2 meters. BIG !!!!

To get an idea of construction I will probably use, watch this video if you haven't yet.
http://bulgey.com/videos/watch?v=ocwKII_fVwU

It is Brad Gibson's IOM hull - mine will be 3 times as long !

I know you are strapped for funds, so want to warn you this can get expensive. Mast is 2 meters tall and sail area is unlimited. There are a lot of stresses on hull, cross beams, hardware, and electronics, so it isn't something you will be happy with if you have to fix stuff, replace under powered servos, use a slow winch etc. Just want you to have both eyes open going into this.

I will try to post photos as I (if I) proceed. Trying to get the multihull idea out there for consideration - but it will take builders. ... or a big checkbook if it is something to be purchased.

Google some YouTube 2 Meter multihull videos to get an idea of size and performance. DON'T let the hull graphics fool you. stay focused on size and possible cost. Just an FYI While hulls "Could" be strip built, I worry about how much hull deflection will take place when trying to fair the hulls. Shoot any questions you have. Someone will be around to answer them.

Cheers, Dick
Last edited by Dick L.; Aug 16, 2016 at 08:37 PM.
Aug 18, 2016, 07:07 PM
I completed the templates today and found one error during printing - about 3 inches over 2Meter (rule) hull length, so will shift the bow towards the stern to comply with overall length requirements. Now have to cut out each template.

Right now I am planning to build two hulls from foam, mainly for speed, rather than cut a ton of wood strips, glue up and worry about any sag between templates when I begin to fair off the hull shape.
Aug 18, 2016, 07:15 PM
W Kuhns
Very impressive. Can't wait to see how you are doing the foam . Lots of work going into this. Awesome!!
Aug 18, 2016, 08:25 PM
Here's a quick photo of the 12 templates that make up this monster. Yellow rule in foreground is 1 meter in length - for reference.

Now to decide if I make the building templates out of foam core board, or 1/4 inch birch plywood. Looks like I will need 1 sheet of 4 inch extruded foam and 1 sheet of 1 inch thick extruded foam to build up the half sides of the templates for the hull.

Have some home projects to attend to, so will be awhile before I can get to cutting out the templates for hull cross sections.
Aug 18, 2016, 08:33 PM
W Kuhns
That looks like a pretty different design. Can't wait to see a hull made up. It is gonna be huge
Aug 18, 2016, 08:47 PM
Yes Bill, and knowing your health issues is why I suggested you NOT try this one. As I see mine start to develop in front of me, I know why these aren't more popular except maybe in France.

Now a Formula48 or Mini40 "might" be big enough to work on but still be able to be moved and launched by yourself. Without the mast, this size is about a half sheet of plywood for the platform and could fit inside the back seat of a full size car or mini van or pickup truck. Probably inside an SUV too.

The one I am working/thinking about will require my pickup bed and no mast so I can drop the bed cover down.
Aug 19, 2016, 01:09 PM
Courtesy from Doug Lord. You could make one of these 2 Meter boats into an awesome foiler.

GC32 Racing Tour Copa del Rey 2016, Day 1 & 2 raw footage. (4 min 42 sec)
Aug 19, 2016, 06:52 PM
W Kuhns
Jaw just dropped..... the only issue for me with one of those is just the bulky size. They don't really weight much more than a Newport do they or an EC 12. Or do they have ballast? They look fabulous. And fast as well as graceful. Boy Dick between you and Doug you have my wheels spinning