Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 16, 2016, 12:20 PM
AMA 415

Front Yard Fighters Showdown - Air Race

I am extremely excited to announce that Sawn Craft will be holding the first Front Yard Fighters Showdown on Friday, September 16 from 1:15pm until 3pm on the Slow Flyer Flight Line!

Taking cues from the JCSF Radian Races and the air racing at Horizon Indoor, we've decided to throw our hats in the ring and get some of our Front Yard Fighters (FYFs) out on the track!

The FYF Showdown is a fun, two-pylon race that features a cash prize to the winner as well as lots of merchandise prizes for other pilots!

The field is limited to the first 24 pilots that register in order to keep the event duration to a manageable level. A $15 entry fee gets you into the action! Don't hesitate to get your entry form in!

All race aircraft will be built to Sawn Craft factory spec's and are provided to the pilots prior to each race. As a pilot, all you need to bring is your DSM2-compatible TX and a bind plug! Aircraft will be randomly assigned to each pilot each qualifying race in order to keep the racing as even as possible.

Complete race details and rules can be found: Click Here

Registration form can be found: Click Here

If you have any questions regarding the Front Yard Fighter Showdown please feel free to post here or send me an email and I'll get back to you as soon as possible! Jonathan@Sawn-Craft.com

I have to thank Tom Hunt and the NEAT Fair staff for working with us to make this happen! We also wouldn't have been able to run the event without the help of the JCSF crew! Thank you to you all!
Last edited by Sawn Craft; Aug 16, 2016 at 04:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2016, 01:16 PM
Cool! Registration submitted!!!

Rob
Aug 16, 2016, 08:02 PM
AMA 1242
Mark & Harold are registered .
Aug 17, 2016, 05:38 AM
I'm in! Now to think of a cool call sign!

Pete

PS. I put in to purchase a twin after the race but I don't see any on your site looking quick??? Details!
Aug 17, 2016, 10:03 AM
AMA 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
I'm in! Now to think of a cool call sign!

Pete

PS. I put in to purchase a twin after the race but I don't see any on your site looking quick??? Details!
Pete, I'm sure you saw the twin last year at Horizon Indoor! It still isn't in production, but there will be two Sawn Craft Mosquito 31's racing in the Showdown!

The addition of those aircraft should add a different twist to the racing, but in our tests with smaller props the Mossie is no faster than the single engine planes!
Aug 17, 2016, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawn Craft View Post
Pete, I'm sure you saw the twin last year at Horizon Indoor! It still isn't in production, but there will be two Sawn Craft Mosquito 31's racing in the Showdown!

The addition of those aircraft should add a different twist to the racing, but in our tests with smaller props the Mossie is no faster than the single engine planes!
Can you post a pic of the Mossie? I didn't realize you had one in the fleet

Rob
Aug 17, 2016, 01:13 PM
AMA 415
Now that I'm looking at my photos, it appears as though the Mossie is camera shy!

Here is what I have for now; you'll have to look in the background for her.

I'll snap some shots tonight when I get down into the shop.

So here is a question for you guys; internally we have been debating what paint scheme to use for the Mosquito 31 kit. The options are the typical RAF camo scheme and the much more uncommon USAAF blue and red scheme. What would you like to see?
Aug 17, 2016, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I can see the Mossie in white in the last pic. If she's in the first two I missed her (thought I did see another blue twin but didn't think it was a Mossie).

I guess I'm a traditionalist - I'd say camo. Something about having a British plan in RWB seems a bit off (but it would be different).

Boy, I'm a sucker for twins - did you say two of these will be available for purchase at NEAT (well, I guess actually one as Pete gets first dibs)?

Rob
Aug 17, 2016, 01:44 PM
AMA 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob View Post
Yeah, I can see the Mossie in white in the last pic. If she's in the first two I missed her (thought I did see another blue twin but didn't think it was a Mossie).
My personal prototype is the blue and red Mossie that is in all of the photos. The white Mossie is prototype #2 and in all honesty, I didn't even see it in the last photo until you mentioned it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob View Post
Boy, I'm a sucker for twins - did you say two of these will be available for purchase at NEAT (well, I guess actually one as Pete gets first dibs)?
Here is the breakdown of airframes that will be competing in the FYF Showdown:

4x Bearcat 24
3x P-47 24
3x Zero 24
2x Mosquito 31
Aug 17, 2016, 02:30 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Hmm can I register a vote for the original Mossie prototype color scheme?

Will you have BNF planes avail? Or sell off the survivors of the carnage?
Aug 17, 2016, 04:11 PM
Dave is in too!
Aug 17, 2016, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpanhead View Post
Dave is in too!
Cool!!!

Rob
Aug 17, 2016, 04:18 PM

I'm in

Just registered. See you at the JCSF "Big Tent".
Aug 17, 2016, 04:23 PM
Well, the JCSF guys already have three slots in the race - do we have any other clubs who want to get in on the action? Where are the Bergen/BCSF guys

Rob
Aug 17, 2016, 04:25 PM
AMA 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Will you have BNF planes avail? Or sell off the survivors of the carnage?
Two of the race aircraft will be given away as prizes, but all of the other "participants" will be up for sale at a discounted rate after the event. With the registration you can actually pre-pay for the aircraft of your choosing if you wished.

Luke's is going to sell Sawn Craft products again this year and I still have to see if they'll have room for any "crispy-fresh" BNF Front Yard Fighters in their booth to sell during the week.

As always, all of our demo planes are available for any registered event pilot to fly during the week. Just stop by our tent on the main flight line and let us know what you'd like to fly and we'll get it ready for you!

I'm suggesting that all registered pilots stop by our tent in the days prior to the Showdown to get a basic radio profile built in your transmitter and to test fly one of the FYF's so that you aren't surprised by the maneuverability come race day.