Jan 21, 2019, 03:03 PM
Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
As a general rule, ESC's work best at 85% throttle or more, and some don't like to run below 65%. If the ESC has an active freewheel feature, it can run at lower throttle without overheating. If using governor mode, being in the 65% - 85% range works well.
Ok thanks, I am running mine from 75% to 80%, sounds good.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2019, 03:55 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by BgSkyFlyr
HI everyone, I have maybe an odd question. Does the Esc and motor run cooler at higher head speeds? Is it more taxing on the electronics by running a slower headspeed creating more heat? I have the HW 60A v4 and Align motor. Thanks
Typically around 85% is best for most efficiency, as mentioned by 2Doggs. I am running the HW Platinum 60A ESC and also using its gov., and the stock motor. Throttle settings are 73% for Low, 76% for mid, and 81% for high rates currently for a bit more tame flying...no 3D flying currently. Will likely up those setting soon.
Jan 22, 2019, 04:54 AM
Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets
Typically around 85% is best for most efficiency, as mentioned by 2Doggs. I am running the HW Platinum 60A ESC and also using its gov., and the stock motor. Throttle settings are 73% for Low, 76% for mid, and 81% for high rates currently for a bit more tame flying...no 3D flying currently. Will likely up those setting soon.
That's where I am at as well, I dont fly 3d, sport flying only, not really interested in 3D, some of the tricks are neat though, I like the funnels, but I am way far away from acomplishing those right now. What timing are you running with your setup? Are you using the GovStor mode? Thanks
Jan 22, 2019, 11:10 AM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by BgSkyFlyr
That's where I am at as well, I dont fly 3d, sport flying only, not really interested in 3D, some of the tricks are neat though, I like the funnels, but I am way far away from acomplishing those right now. What timing are you running with your setup? Are you using the GovStor mode? Thanks
I can't remember what I have set for timing...either low, med or auto. Will have to plug in to see. Yes, I am using GovStore mode from the ESC...works great IMO!.
Jan 22, 2019, 11:17 AM
Turnigynarian
Timing is easy enough to sort out. Either leave it on auto, or try high, and if the motor doesn't get too hot, leave it on high. It's more than likely that auto will give you high timing anyway.
Jan 22, 2019, 12:54 PM
Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets
I can't remember what I have set for timing...either low, med or auto. Will have to plug in to see. Yes, I am using GovStore mode from the ESC...works great IMO!.
Yes, the GovStore mode is the way to go, works well for me also.
Jan 22, 2019, 12:56 PM
Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
Timing is easy enough to sort out. Either leave it on auto, or try high, and if the motor doesn't get too hot, leave it on high. It's more than likely that auto will give you high timing anyway.
Thanks, I have mine on auto as well, wasnt sure where the timing was on it using auto, and was curious what everyone else is using.
Jan 22, 2019, 01:04 PM
Great Falls, Montana
Anyone tried the Gens Ace 2200 packs? Maybe a little heavy at 373 grms but may get a few more minutes of flight, size is right.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/gens-ac...-b1087/p682572
Jan 24, 2019, 01:44 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
I bought a crashed 470LM as 'fixer upper'. Got the replacement parts on Monday fitted them, checked it all over and tidied up the wiring..... she's ready to go.

To be honest i didn't intend to keep it. I got it mainly for the Brain2 it had fitted, which i figured that if I fixed up the heli and sold it on without the Brain2, i'd recover what I paid out and so have the brain for free
But i have to say that after fixing it up it looks so nice I'll be reluctant to let it go!

Jan 24, 2019, 01:49 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nheather
Many thanks. Mine looks like that, I’d even say that the amount of shaft visible on the right is slightly less on mine.

But if I pull the shaft (or push the pulley) to the right then it moves to the right and that gap almost disappears. So the pulley (and shaft) can be moved slightly left and right. Note I don’t have the belt on at this point - the tension of the belt might oppose thar left/right movement.

I have just checked the extent of the movement with a feeler gauge.

Pulley over to left - gap to right = 0.35 mm
Pulley over to right - gap to right = 0.15 mm

So total amount of sideways play is 0.3 mm.

Maybe nothing to worry about, I probably wouldn’t have mentioned it apart from the shaft with the plastic pulley has zero sideways play.

Cheers,

Nigel
Nigel,
I'm late to the party with this but having just rebuilt a 470, mine has an (approx 0.3mm) shim washer fitted up against the shoulder of the shaft on the right which removes the play. As this is a used heli and I dont have the manual i dont know if it's a standard fitment or if the previous owner added it, but it works perfectly in removing the end float on the shaft/pulley assembly.

It is actually important to have no end float because if you do it effects the pitch control of the tail.
Jan 25, 2019, 03:00 PM
Finally started the 470L build last night. Pretty simple. Got the head rebuilt, and layed out the sides, cleaned screws, then broke out the soldering iron. Changed the connectors on a Hobbywing 60 and put on a XT60 plug. I have a BeastX and KST servos. Align for rudder. For the next week here in NE Indiana, way below zero many nights so definitely building time! Still have two "Old Timer" wings to build too. Actually a good thing we get some down time!
Jan 26, 2019, 11:34 AM
Got the fuse sides together. Now to pull out all the screws for loc tite after I made sure everything was straight. Then take a break and fly 911's around the house to relax a bit.
Jan 28, 2019, 02:51 PM
JohnCI please do share a photo before your maiden. I find that she never looks the same after the initial flight . Sometimes she looks better, sometimes she looks .... worse LOL
Jan 28, 2019, 11:09 PM
Which shall it be, Passworthy?
Taking a pre-maiden photo is a tradition/superstition at my club.

D'Oh! I maidened a plane this weekend; forgot to take a pic at the field. Hope I didn't anger the flight angels.
Jan 29, 2019, 04:48 AM
Try to if phone works right. All is going well. Rotor , belt, and main gear in. Rebuild and install tail rotor today. I did buy a 470L stainless screw kit. Really nice hardware. Ordered a metal rear servo tray. I'll try this before mounting on the boom. I prefer boom mount but don't have right size rod. If someone sold the steel ends that would be great. Used to be suppliers but....

Quick Reply