Jan 02, 2019, 11:22 AM
I use the self tapping ball ends used for the plastic main grips. Purchased a few. They are slightly longer so it affects the geometry but I can't tell any difference and it makes life easy.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2019, 06:40 AM
BeastX position.

There are two options for the location if the BeastX controller - at the back or underneath the main shaft.

Are there any advantages to either position - for example does the lower position result in neater/easier wiring and better balance.

I should add that I use the USB programming interface to configure my BeastX so I have no real interest in being able to see the programming lights or to get at the button.

Cheers,

Nigel
Jan 05, 2019, 08:00 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
Little different FBL unit...but maybe some help in your ultimate decision...? All my wires tuck in under the FBL unit mounting plate and the frame...
Jan 06, 2019, 05:56 AM
Genius man
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets
Little different FBL unit...but maybe some help in your ultimate decision...? All my wires tuck in under the FBL unit mounting plate and the frame...
Looks very good Abjets. I like the neat wiring.
Jan 06, 2019, 12:09 PM
Thanks! I'm a bit of a neat freak that way :-) This bird makes it pretty easy too...
Jan 06, 2019, 12:42 PM
Turnigynarian
My only concern might be how tight the bend in the leads are, close to the controller - but if you're not seeing any vibes (does the BeastX have vibe analysis?) then it's another case of "fine in practice but it doesn't work in theory"....

I'm a big fan of tidy installs with internal wiring, and have all my helis built that way as far as possible, even tho it can make maintenance a bit more work.
Jan 06, 2019, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets
That is a great help, lots of good ideas, thanks so much for the help.

Cheers,

Nigel
Jan 06, 2019, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
My only concern might be how tight the bend in the leads are, close to the controller - but if you're not seeing any vibes (does the BeastX have vibe analysis?) then it's another case of "fine in practice but it doesn't work in theory"....

I'm a big fan of tidy installs with internal wiring, and have all my helis built that way as far as possible, even tho it can make maintenance a bit more work.
100% agreed! The key is to keep all lead bends with some play...vs. tight and getting damaged overtime (sharp CF) or interfering with the "vibration isolation" we are seeking with these gyros. I made that mistake a few times before catching it
Jan 07, 2019, 04:55 AM
For what it is worth - FBL position & wiring on my Tarot. I like this position for the ease of access generally and for hooking up to StudioX.
Jan 11, 2019, 06:20 AM

Removing Tail Rotor Shaft

I want to remove the tail rotor shaft because I have the upgrade with the metal belt wheel to fit.

When I remove the left hand side plate of the tail housing the plate comes of with the shaft attached at the belt wheel end.

As far as I can see it is just a tight fit in the bearing - I can’t see anything securing it.

I’ve put a little force in trying to pull the shaft from the bearing but it hasn’t budged yet. Before I use more force I wanted to double check here that it is just a tight fit of the shaft in the bearing, there is nothing fixing it in place that I need to remove - can’t see anything myself, either in the manual or the actual part.

Looked some more and pretty sure that the shaft is either jammed or glued into the bearing. I’ve tried gripping the other end of the shaft in pliers and pulling - not really hard but with fair force and there is no sign of any movement.

I have a feeling that if I were to pull hard enough then the bearing will come out attached to the shaft.

Any ideas how to remove this - I have none.

Cheers,

Nigel
Last edited by nheather; Jan 11, 2019 at 07:25 AM.
Jan 11, 2019, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nheather
I want to remove the tail rotor shaft because I have the upgrade with the metal belt wheel to fit.

When I remove the left hand side plate of the tail housing the plate comes of with the shaft attached at the belt wheel end.

As far as I can see it is just a tight fit in the bearing - I can’t see anything securing it.

I’ve put a little force in trying to pull the shaft from the bearing but it hasn’t budged yet. Before I use more force I wanted to double check here that it is just a tight fit of the shaft in the bearing, there is nothing fixing it in place that I need to remove - can’t see anything myself, either in the manual or the actual part.

Cheers,

Nigel
Just a tight fit I think with perhaps some slight 'burring' holding it in - you could try running a hair-dryer over it and giving it a light tap. Sometimes a spot of thread lock or dried up lubricant finds its way into the fit.
Jan 11, 2019, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone 7
Just a tight fit I think with perhaps some slight 'burring' holding it in - you could try running a hair-dryer over it and giving it a light tap. Sometimes a spot of thread lock or dried up lubricant finds its way into the fit.
Nervous about heat because I don’t want to remove the grease from the bearing as I have no way of repacking.

Or is it simply a matter of running some tri-fliw oil (which I have) into these small bearings?

Cheers,

Nigel

Update - two plastic rulers edge on, some balsa spacers, held together with tape made a makeshift jig to hold the plate in place. Stood on a block of wood with a hole to accept the other end of the shaft. Small centre punch and some gentle taps with a hammer removed it. All done now - thanks for the advice.
Last edited by nheather; Jan 11, 2019 at 07:57 AM.
Jan 11, 2019, 08:28 AM

Upgraded Metal Tail Rotor Shaft

And now onto the next step.

With the upgraded tail rotor shaft in place there is a noticeable left to right play - I’d guess between 0.5mm and 1.0mm.

The pack has four shafts, all are the same, so it’s not that I have a rogue part.

The original shaft with the plastic gear has no play.

Must admit, I’m less than impressed with Align’s so-called precision metal components. The blade grips were poorly engineered and so it seems is the tail rotor shaft.

Anyway, is it okay to leave the play in - perhaps it is by design, or perhaps it doesn’t matter or perhaps when the belt is on it won’t move. Or should I find some washers to put in there - sized for shaft and the inner race.

Cheers,

Nigel
Last edited by nheather; Jan 11, 2019 at 08:46 AM.
Jan 11, 2019, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nheather
Nervous about heat because I donít want to remove the grease from the bearing as I have no way of repacking.

Or is it simply a matter of running some tri-fliw oil (which I have) into these small bearings?

Cheers,

Nigel

Update - two plastic rulers edge on, some balsa spacers, held together with tape made a makeshift jig to hold the plate in place. Stood on a block of wood with a hole to accept the other end of the shaft. Small centre punch and some gentle taps with a hammer removed it. All done now - thanks for the advice.
Excellent - my kind of approach!

I regularly put a spot of Teflon oil on my bearing faces and shafts as part of my maintenance routine - seems to keep everything 'free and easy'.
Jan 11, 2019, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone 7
Excellent - my kind of approach!

I regularly put a spot of Teflon oil on my bearing faces and shafts as part of my maintenance routine - seems to keep everything 'free and easy'.
Have you got the upgraded tail shaft - with the metal belt wheel?

If so does it play a little left and right? I.E. if you grasp hold of the belt wheel and move it to the left and right does the shaft move a little?

Cheers,

Nigel

Quick Reply