Flex Premier Aircraft Cessna 170

Quique Somenzini sent me and email this morning to talk about the Flex 170. I thought everyone would want to know about it so here we go!

Splash

The Premier Aircraft Cessna 170 is the evolution of many years of design experience.

From Flex Innovations:

Our entire team is very excited about this new project! We think it is the perfect airplane for EVERYONE, allows incredible wide range of battery sizes selection, many accessories and innovations that will FULLFILL every pilot excitement and at every level!

The officially licensed Cessna 170 has something for everyone. At its core, it is a forgiving general aviation aircraft with rough field capabilities. It also has the ability to kick up the power and offer a surprising level of aerobatic capability. It offers a perfectly balanced airframe design combined with the included Aura 8, yielding an unmatched flying experience.

Cessna 170 to the Extreme (3 min 1 sec)

Specs

• Length: 60.1" (1544 mm)
  • Wingspan: 86.7 in. (2204mm)
  • Weight: 8.47lb (3.84kg) RTF with 6S 4000mAh battery installed
  • Wing Area: 1094 sq. in (70.6 sq. dm.)
  • Channels: 4-6 (Compatible with DX4e/5e class transmitters but number of flight modes may be limited)
  • Battery: 32004S - 5000 6S

The aircraft's extremely light, yet rigid air-frame will offer forgiving, yet responsive flying characteristics. The Cessna 170 structure is hollow on the inside and has carbon fiber in key locations and the forward plywood structure secures the power system and makes it run very smooth, even at high power. Because it is EPO foam, it remains TOUGH and REPAIRABLE.

Cessna 170 at the Beach (2 min 3 sec)

The Aura 8 programming capability allows the pilot total freedom to adjust all settings, including the flight modes (sensor control inputs can even can be switched off). The USB firmware update capability will allow you to benefit from the latest features and advancements without purchasing new equipment!

The Cessna 170 can accept floats for flying off of water and snow skis! The mechanism for glider towing is also included. While the aircraft excels at slow speed and back-country style flying, including short takeoffs and landings from unimproved runways, our version is engineered to offer even more. If desired, the pilot can increase the voltage of the battery, and load a more extreme configuration into the Aura Flight Controller and take the flying to a whole new 'extreme' level!

Cessna 170 Sport Float Flying (1 min 32 sec)

Flex Link and FREE Shipping

Take advantage of our pre-order offer (free shipping) now!

Photos

Aug 15, 2016, 04:35 PM

qq

I like it!!!
Aug 15, 2016, 04:54 PM
Wow,

That's pretty nice. It looks like a slightly smaller, handier sized Carbon Cub. Pretty dear at $499.99 (with free shipping), but probably worth it.

I would be curious to see how it breaks down before jumping on board. If it comes apart easily enough for transportation and storage then I think it will do well.
Aug 15, 2016, 04:57 PM
RCG Admin
Cool!
Aug 15, 2016, 05:22 PM
Sweet ! A little steep for me though.
Aug 15, 2016, 05:46 PM
YEESSSS!!!!! I just wrecked my Carbon Cub so now I have a replacement. hopefully they didn't screw up the electronics as bad as horizon did with the CZC.
Aug 15, 2016, 07:05 PM
DFS#000178
I LOVE IT.

Look out, EFlite. CarbonZ's got competition in the giant scale foamy arena! And it looks incredible!

Maybe they'll do a Cherokee?
Aug 15, 2016, 07:10 PM
Sport & extreme 3D flying on a Cessna170. Leave up to flex innovations to come up with such a great product.
I'll be ordering mine right of away
Aug 15, 2016, 07:12 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
I like this one as compared to the Fun Cub XL.
Aug 15, 2016, 08:38 PM
MK
MK
As someone said earlier, how does it break down for transport?
Aug 15, 2016, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Wow,

That's pretty nice. It looks like a slightly smaller, handier sized Carbon Cub. Pretty dear at $499.99 (with free shipping), but probably worth it.

I would be curious to see how it breaks down before jumping on board. If it comes apart easily enough for transportation and storage then I think it will do well.
Compared to the EFL CC as I recall.
Wing Span is greater, Area about the same.
Weight is about the same.
Fuselage is much larger (It could eat the CC!)

Definitely a 'larger plane' with more presence and power.

Regards,
David
Aug 15, 2016, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK
As someone said earlier, how does it break down for transport?
Wings quickly and easily unplug (two panels) for transport. (two easy to access (top) screws retains each panel)

Struts remove one pin with clip at fuselage end and they fold against the wing.

Stabs are plug-in with clear tape.... we typically leave them on, but they could be removed pretty easily.

David
Aug 15, 2016, 09:20 PM
Hi,

Horizon lists the wing span for the Carbon Z Cub as being 84.6 inches. Compared to Cessna at 65", I think the Cessna will be much, "Handier" to deal with.

I think a lot of guys, (including me) were turned off by the size and bulk of the Carbon Z Cub. I also think a lot of guys quickly sold their CZ Cubs for the same reason.

The Cessna seems to be sized just right. Big enough to see well and have good presence in the air, but still just small enough and easy enough to break down for storage and transportation.

You're going to do well with these.
Aug 15, 2016, 09:49 PM
Cessna is Wing Span, 86.7" - BIG!
There may have been a typo briefly...

Plug in wings come off quite easily FWIW.

Best Regards,
David
Aug 15, 2016, 09:54 PM
They call me Lipo...
Dave,

I'm thinking 6S 3200mAh (30C) similar to what I flew in my CZC a couple of years ago.....thoughts ?

Also, perhaps a dumb question, but what kind of connector is on the ESC???

Thanks !

Quick Reply