Control Line Airplane from the 40's at SVSS - Aug 13th, 2016 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 15, 2016, 02:57 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Rave

Control Line Airplane from the 40's at SVSS - Aug 13th, 2016

I walked by this very cool looking control line airplane sitting on one of the picnic benches last Sat at the TD Contest.

Mike Clancy told me the engine was an Ohlsson so that got my attention. I decided to grab a couple quick photos but that is about all the info I have. I am not sure who brought the aircraft out to the field.

I was hoping Mike Clancy or someone could fill us in on more details about the kit, who built it and what year it came out etc....I heard talk that the gas tank was hand made and took 2 days to build.
Last edited by David Olson; Aug 15, 2016 at 11:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2016, 03:28 PM
This is Tom Ball's model "Fireball". I've attached an ad for one I pulled from the net.

JT
Aug 15, 2016, 04:04 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
This is the only Ohlsson engine that can legally fly at the SVSS field!

It is a Neu-Ohlsson 60!

Brian, an EAJ
Aug 15, 2016, 05:57 PM
Actually it isn't legal to fly at SVSS. Only gliders and electrics, no internal combustion allowed.

JT
Aug 15, 2016, 06:29 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5
Actually it isn't legal to fly at SVSS. Only gliders and electrics, no internal combustion allowed.

JT
JT,

Look closer at the picture! Mine is electric! It is internal, but no combustion, unless the lipo bursted!!

Brian, an EAJ
Aug 15, 2016, 07:59 PM

Gotcha JT

Ha,ha I've seen Brian's Neu Ohlsson before. It is a nice setup.
The CL plane is a Jimmy Walker Fireball.
The kit, circa 1940, was given to me by Dick Irwin, a member of SAM 27.
I was going to donate it to the AMA museum.
Then I discovered that our SVSS member Tom Ball had built and flown Fireballs in the Mid East in the '40 s. Tom said that he would like to build the plane--as he had back then. so I gave the kit to Tom and he has been working on it for some time.
The kit and the wood were certainly not of today's quality so the build has been challenging.
The engine is an Ohlsson and Rice .23 on spark ignition. Tom built the fuel tank from scratch.
We will fly the plane sometime this summer at Woodland or Napa. I was going to test fly it but due to a balance problem I will draft Dave Fitzgerald, a national and international CL stunt champion, or Jerry Rocha, a multiple AMA speed record holder to do the initial flights.
It might make it to the AMA Museum after all.
Mike Clancy
Aug 15, 2016, 11:40 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Wow, what a great story behind this airplane. I am so thankful Tom brought out the Fireball to the field. I thought it might be rare but had no idea how rare. I am glad I walked by when I did.

I love the artwork in the ad.

Thanks guys.