Aug 15, 2016, 06:41 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Eachine Wizard X220 (Under construction)

Update: (11/02/16): the XX20 RTF in mode 2 comes now with a SPF3 FC board & 2205 motors. So the X220 represents definitively a super brushless racer

Disclaimer (inspired from SP) Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. Please, no savage affiliate links! By the way, in contracdiction with some other reviewers, I open a new mini-review thread ONLY when I have the machine in hand ....

INTRODUCTION

The Eachine Wizzard X220 represents the last racer from Eachine, after some Falcon 180-250, Blade 210-250 and assassin. For most of them, there were each time some important weak point. Poor solid frame for example for the Falcon 180, poor ESC for the Assassin, undepower system for the Falcon 210, etc... Each time you had something really weird.... and frustrating. With the Wizzard X220, a 220m brushless racer full 3K carbon based and with BLHeli_S compatible ESC, we will see if we won't be one more time disapointed...

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Eachine Wizzard X220 (with a 3S 1500mAh LiPo with XT60)
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x Charger B3
+ 16 x Spare props (8 CW, 8 CCW)
+ 1 x 5.8G Linear antenna
+ 6 x Zipties
+ 8 x M5 nuts (4 CW, 4 CCW)
+ 8 x spare M2 hexscrews
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English)

OVERVIEW

The Wizzard is obviously a 220mm brushless quadcopter racer, full 3K carbon base with classic H structure. The central part is jailing the PDB, FC, receiver and VTX.

In term of solidity, arms are 4mm pure 3K carbon. A little bit less strong than the 4mm as for the blade 210 but should be strong enough.

and 1.5mm for other carbons elements so strong enough for most type of crash.

-Front view

A classic H structure .... but notice the absence of any frontal lights.... so no night flights out of the box with the EW220....

-Side view

The right side present the microUSB port of the Naze32 board

-Rear view

out of the box, antennas are installed inside the body. Not a good choice for the reception'performances.

They need to be relocated more front and fixed with provided zip-ties.

The 5.8G antenna port is attached via a rubber element.

You will need to very well tight the antenna on the VTX.

-Bottom view

The 3mm 3K arms are independant and directly screwed on the main lower plate. A good news for the maintenance, no need to disassemble everything

A piece of foam as landing skid

On the bottom side of the motor'pad, you can find some LED's light. Surprizingly, both left's arm lights are red while right are green

-Weight

Close to 500g AWG

Motors

2204 motors announced to be 2300KV . They are partially protected by a plastic housing efficient at least for latteral shocks.

with 5mm shaft diameter

Props are triblade 5045 model

a little bit fragile IMHO. Luckely they gave 5 complete sets !!!

ESC

Probably the massive positive argument for the Wizzard X220. Some strong 20A 4S compatible model but the more important suporting the last BHELI_S features known to offer super smooth flying caracteristics. They are flashed with a recent BHLheli firmware and can be upgraded directly BLHelisuite software via cleanflight passthrough

LiPo

A classic 1500mAh 3S LiPo with XT60 connector, 25C as discharge rate... The battery is 90mmx34mmx20mm, a standard size for a 1500mAh 3S model

Camera module

A 700TVL PAL camera with reallt good light transition handling

The maximum tilt angle is even superior to 45 degrees, so no problem for ultra agressive FPV flights

No visible switch to turn it into NTSC or to tune some parameters

Video transmitter

The Original VTX is a 200mW model supporting up to 6 band so a total of 48CH. Of course the race band is supported

Originally the Video transmitter is flipped down to present the DIP switch selected the Vfreq/VBand. It clearly not easy to access/to tune the 5.8G system like thos

It's strongly advised to cut the zip-tie blocking the 90 degrees RPSMA-connector and flip it up

Notice, a simple 5.8G linear antenna is given instead of a cloverleaf model more adapted to FPV

Disassembling

Above the PDB, a Naze32 board is here on-axis. Default settings, especially PIDs are already well tunes. One drawback, out of the box, only two flight modes were programmed: Angle (full stabilized) and acro. In the instruction manual, it's indicated mor: angle, horizon (rattitde) and acro. Notice also the failsafe is set to landing. For racer, it's safer to set to drop.

The more important is the absence of a buzzer or an OSD... It's a big lack, at least for the buzzer.

Originally the FlySky i6B receiver is strapped simultanously with the battery

The receiver is connected to the FC via PPM

Transmitter

A classic FlySky i6 radio with three 2-way switches and one 3-way (switch C) to select the flight mode.

With the current radio firware, only 6 channels are available. It means the two latteral 2-way swiches are not used. I advise to set one for D/R and the last as throttle hold to cut motors immediatly in case of accident

For advanced gurus, it's possible to flash a 10CH firmware (as already available for Ideafly F210 models)

FIRST USAGE

Eachine Wizzard X220 first demo flight (Courtesy Banggood) (11 min 14 sec)

First of all, the FPV signal is clear and the camera handles well light transitions that's a the first good point. Immediatly, you feel that whatever the flight modes, the machine is stable. Default rates settings are more adapted to intermediate FPV pilots. This machine is fast for sure !!! even from 3S. Punchout are good despite 3S and tri-blades props... I can't imagine how beasty the EW220 will be in 4S.
In acro, the machine flies ultra smoothly like in video simulator!!! it's incredible .... BLHeli_S compatible ESC represents a huge step forward. I really liked how fine this machine flies. What's a pity a small OSD is missing.... at least you have a lost free room rear to install one.

CONCLUSIONS

Ha !!!! At least a Eachine model without major problems and the most important flies superbly out of the box. The introduction of strong BHeli_S ESC is the magic ingredient. It's incredible how easy this machine is in acro mode.... The FPV rig is solid with a good FPV CMOS camera. I just regret the absence of a buzzer, an OSD and strong front lights. With.... I would probably give a SeByDocKy's award

UNBOXING

Eachine Wizzard X220 unboxing and quick analysis (Courtesy Banggood) (17 min 57 sec)

PROS

+ Super well tuned machine
+ BLHeli_S 20A ESC
+ 3-4S compatible
+ Good FPV cam
+ Super smooth acro mode
+ Full 3K carbon structure
+ Independant 3mm arm
+ 5 set of props
+ Failsafe correctly set
+ ESC can be directly flashed via BLHeli suite
+ 5 complete set of props

CONS

- No Buzzer
- No OSD
- VTX DIP switch hard to access
- No front light
- No Cloverleaf antenna
- 2.4G diversity's antennas need to be relocated

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thank them for this attitude.
You can find it actually for 200USD at http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Wizard-X220-FPV-Racer-Blheli_S-Naze32-6DOF-5_8G-48CH-200MW-700TVL-Camera-w-FlySky-I6-RTF-p-1077100.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Nov 02, 2016 at 03:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2016, 06:44 AM
Thread OP
reserved
Aug 15, 2016, 07:10 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
They keep coming faster than we can test 'm. Almost busier release scheme than JJRC...

Smart to fit 3 blades, as it looks at least as heavy as the Falcon 210.
Aug 15, 2016, 08:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
They keep coming faster than we can test 'm. Almost busier release scheme than JJRC...

Smart to fit 3 blades, as it looks at least as heavy as the Falcon 210.
5" 3-blades ... so should be more powerful I guess ... (it's not hard )
Aug 15, 2016, 08:42 AM
Leaf on the wind
I like the direction Eachine is going with these. Here's my first impression.

Pros:
Frame: Looks like an Alien clone! Side walls might be a bit of dead weight though.
USB Port: Finally! an accessible USB port
ESC's: 20A and BL_Heli_S! It shows they're listening.
Props: King Kong 5040x3s! Nice touch.
rX: FS-iA6B!! So that means 10ch and telemetry on the radio.

Cons:
Motors: 2204s are kinda underpowered for this setup. If only they went with 2205 or 2206 motors.
vTx Antennas: Why a rubber ducky? Should really be a RHCP.
Where are the rX antennas? I worry about the range of that thing. Should be out @ 90degrees and heatshrunk.
Camera: CMOS? Still? Can we get a CCD?
No Action Camera mount
Flight Controller: Isn't Naze rather dated now? Other models at least give the option of an F3.
Last edited by Spartacus Rex; Aug 15, 2016 at 10:29 AM.
Aug 15, 2016, 08:56 AM
youtube.com searchfor danqfpv
there are a lot of frames that look like this. I have a couple set ups with a similar frame and they range from 320-350 grams
Aug 15, 2016, 10:13 AM
How do they sell these so cheap???!!

I love the color scheme. Also like it's 4S capable. I think it will be pretty fast on 4S. Good for beginner to start on 3S and then can move up to 4S when experience improves.

Triblades! Yes!

USB port access through carbon shield!

It's good to see they are taking suggestions and improving with each iteration of the product.

SO, for the V2 of this, I suggest allowing option for 2205 or 2206 motors, option for different cameras like CCD, option for HD camera mount, option for 4S battery, option for different receivers like FrSky.

Still, looks amazing for the price! Can't wait to try it! Hint! Hint!

Aug 16, 2016, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marblekit
How do they sell these so cheap???!!

I love the color scheme. Also like it's 4S capable. I think it will be pretty fast on 4S. Good for beginner to start on 3S and then can move up to 4S when experience improves.

Triblades! Yes!

USB port access through carbon shield!

It's good to see they are taking suggestions and improving with each iteration of the product.

SO, for the V2 of this, I suggest allowing option for 2205 or 2206 motors, option for different cameras like CCD, option for HD camera mount, option for 4S battery, option for different receivers like FrSky.

Still, looks amazing for the price! Can't wait to try it! Hint! Hint!

I hope there are a builtin buzzer & OSD .... It helps a lot IMHO ....
Aug 16, 2016, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
I like the direction Eachine is going with these. Here's my first impression.

Pros:
Frame: Looks like an Alien clone! Side walls might be a bit of dead weight though.
USB Port: Finally! an accessible USB port
ESC's: 20A and BL_Heli_S! It shows they're listening.
Props: King Kong 5040x3s! Nice touch.
rX: FS-iA6B!! So that means 10ch and telemetry on the radio.

Cons:
Motors: 2204s are kinda underpowered for this setup. If only they went with 2205 or 2206 motors.
vTx Antennas: Why a rubber ducky? Should really be a RHCP.
Where are the rX antennas? I worry about the range of that thing. Should be out @ 90degrees and heatshrunk.
Camera: CMOS? Still? Can we get a CCD?
No Action Camera mount
Flight Controller: Isn't Naze rather dated now? Other models at least give the option of an F3.
Mostly agree with this list.

Btw, there have been many Eachine quads with well accessible USB ports, often the Naze32 versions always had the port on the side, EB185, Falcon 210 and 180 and others. Often the problem was that when they installed an F3, the board was installed with arrow facing forward, and that put the USB on an askward place.

Speaking of the Naze, it's still a great flight controller, the only drawback is that it has lower floating point calculations, so when using LuxFloat on lower looptime, you run into trouble. And one less UART, plus you lose self leveling on lower looptimes, as otherwise the CPU gets overloaded.

Some people think that if you set looptime low enough, the quad will simply fly better. But it's still a matter of tuning, a partially tuned F3 will probably not outfly a well tuned Naze32 or CC3D. I think that it would be hard to tell these apart, if someone would be offered 2 identical quads, except for the flight controller, both well tuned, really be able to pick out the newer F3 as better 100%, unless maybe a very good pilot, able to spot the different feel that each flight controller may or may not have.

Still, having more options is always a good thing, but I'd rather get something with a well tuned "ancient" flight controller, that flies well out of the box, than one that has the latest hardware, but is so badly setup, it takes many hours and crashes, to get it to fly as the well tuned "ancient" one. And then have to spend even more time trying to make it fly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
I hope there are a builtin buzzer & OSD .... It helps a lot IMHO ....
Agree 100%. I need to learn to watch the OSD, but some first FPV fligts with the Falcon 210 and Floureon Racer 250, have learned me to appreciate OSD battery info. And a buzzer is always nice, for arming, extra reminder of LVC condition, etc.
Aug 16, 2016, 02:41 AM
Nice 10 pairs, i guess you can plan to break lots of props.
Aug 16, 2016, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddiction
Nice 10 pairs, i guess you can plan to break lots of props.

And KingKong props are also quite durable, I understand. Much better than some quads, that come with just 4 props, and not even spare ones.
Aug 17, 2016, 11:20 AM
Hey SeByDocKy,

Would love to test this and review it.... I just got the falcon 210 and I am loving it, but this looks like it can hold 5" props and I like the landing pads. The carbon fiber legs that broke after the first flight with the 210.
Aug 17, 2016, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Israelthebest
Hey SeByDocKy,

Would love to test this and review it.... I just got the falcon 210 and I am loving it, but this looks like it can hold 5" props and I like the landing pads. The carbon fiber legs that broke after the first flight with the 210.
Yes the falcon can (and should) accept some 5" props..... There are strong chance that I will have in hand this wizard X220
Aug 17, 2016, 12:16 PM
Leaf on the wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Yes the falcon can (and should) accept some 5" props..... There are strong chance that I will have in hand this wizard X220
If you do, please let us know where the rX antennas are located, how much range it has and if the motors are enough for the kit.

I kind of want to buy this one, but given how long shipping is from CN and how quickly they release new models I fear it'd be obsolete by the time I receive it.
Aug 17, 2016, 12:52 PM
youtube.com searchfor danqfpv
I just noticed they kept the flysky TX and didnt rebrand with this kit. I think thats a good move, the eachine firmware was too restrictive.

Quick Reply