Aug 14, 2016, 08:50 PM
John 3:16
Thread OP
Discussion

GWS Slow Stick Brushless Gearbox Problems

Hi guys.

I bought one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEO-RC-Airpl...8AAOSw3ydVk~~O

the spur gear stripped after only a few minutes.

Any idea for a decent, but not expensive replacement?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2016, 09:50 PM
I had problems with "GWS copy" gearboxes stripping out, due to imperfectly matched gear pitches. The only ones that held up were the actual GWS units, with their stock matched gear sets. If the shaft-to-shaft spacing is the same as a GWS box, you could try drilling a pinion gear with a metric bit, and using different gears. I've done that before, although drilling pinions is tedious.
Aug 14, 2016, 10:01 PM
Put a Suppo 2212-9 direct with GWS 10x6 propeller. or equivalent.
Aug 14, 2016, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
I had problems with "GWS copy" gearboxes stripping out, due to imperfectly matched gear pitches. The only ones that held up were the actual GWS units, with their stock matched gear sets. If the shaft-to-shaft spacing is the same as a GWS box, you could try drilling a pinion gear with a metric bit, and using different gears. I've done that before, although drilling pinions is tedious.
Yeah, thats what i thought, the genuine ones would be better. I will see if i can afford one.

many thanks.

God bless
Aug 14, 2016, 10:56 PM
Thread OP
i was swinging a 10x 4.7 prop i think
Aug 14, 2016, 10:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v
Put a Suppo 2212-9 direct with GWS 10x6 propeller. or equivalent.
No, the motor is not the issue i dont think, its the quality of the spur gear.

Hope you are not trying to advertise your companies product on my post
Aug 14, 2016, 11:01 PM
Thread OP

Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
i was thinking of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271917262199
Aug 15, 2016, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvaryStudy
No, the motor is not the issue i dont think, its the quality of the spur gear.

Hope you are not trying to advertise your companies product on my post

I have no commercial link with the hobby. My business is digital printing.

The idea is:
Use motors connected to reducing low quality always give problems.
Is 100% better using a motor directly and eliminate the problem of the gears.
For that I recommend an motor of 50-60 grams of weight with a kv of about 1000 and a propeller 10x5, 10x6.
Or an motor of the same weight with a Kv of 800-880 for a propeller 10x4.7.
When used 3slipo of 700-1300 ma.
Aug 15, 2016, 01:52 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Look at all of Manual's post. You will see that he is only trying to help. The Suppo motor he recommends is sold by Altitude Hobbies and many others. Suppo motors enjoy a fairly good reputation as far as I can tell and are priced quite competatively to Hobby King's offerings without the one in about 3 or 4 failed motors that seems to be the norm with HK's products. I have never seen anyone saying they ordered two Suppos hoping to get one good one. Cannot say the same for HK.

And for the record, I do not have any financial link to any part of this hobby other than spending my hard earned cash on it.

I have never owned a Suppo, but may some day. I prefer Cobra's.
Aug 15, 2016, 02:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v

I have no commercial link with the hobby. My business is digital printing.

The idea is:
Use motors connected to reducing low quality always give problems.
Is 100% better using a motor directly and eliminate the problem of the gears.
For that I recommend an motor of 50-60 grams of weight with a kv of about 1000 and a propeller 10x5, 10x6.
Or an motor of the same weight with a Kv of 800-880 for a propeller 10x4.7.
When used 3slipo of 700-1300 ma.
Thanks. I need thrust and able to swing a 10x4.5 or thereabouts prop.

my 1000kv motors dont last all that long
Aug 15, 2016, 02:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dubovsky
Look at all of Manual's post. You will see that he is only trying to help. The Suppo motor he recommends is sold by Altitude Hobbies and many others. Suppo motors enjoy a fairly good reputation as far as I can tell and are priced quite competatively to Hobby King's offerings without the one in about 3 or 4 failed motors that seems to be the norm with HK's products. I have never seen anyone saying they ordered two Suppos hoping to get one good one. Cannot say the same for HK.

And for the record, I do not have any financial link to any part of this hobby other than spending my hard earned cash on it.

I have never owned a Suppo, but may some day. I prefer Cobra's.
Oh, i didnt mean to sound rude or anything, i just thought it odd that i was talking about GEARBOXES, not motors and someone comes along and tells me to buy a motor.

Apologies to anyone i have offended.
Aug 15, 2016, 03:22 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
What Manual is trying to tell you is that your 4900 Kv motor with the 5.33 reduction has an effective Kv of about 900. So if you get a brushless motor of about that Kv you will be able to run the same prop at the same speed. Just offering options.

looking at the spec's of the motor/gearbox you linked I see a total weight of 40 grams. The motor looks like a brushless outrunner so even if the entire weight was motor, which it is not, you could expect about 120 watts input. So that 250 watts in the spec's is way outside of reality.

I am not sure about that 2212-09. I cannot find it. I find a 2212/10 but that has a Kv of around 1500. Too High. The 2212/15 has a Kv of 930 which is in the ballpark of what you need but the weight is quite a bit more at 51 grams. A 2208 is closer to the weight equivalent but the lowest Kv is 1100 and Dr. Kiwi's test show it to be actually 1280 so it is difficult to say if that would suit. On 2S it could use the props you have mentioned but not 3S. You haven't said what battery you are using.

http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/134

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/a-ser...-suppo-2208-17
Aug 15, 2016, 06:00 AM
Kamikaze Ace
Manual, you could always go with the stock GWS gearbox/pinion.
Caliber Hobby carries them. And no I don't have any relations to them, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

http://www.caliberhobby.com/ps_lps.html

But like the other folks, a proper outrunner instead of an inrunner and gearbox, would be a better idea. But hey, to each their own.
Aug 15, 2016, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dubovsky
What Manual is trying to tell you is that your 4900 Kv motor with the 5.33 reduction has an effective Kv of about 900. So if you get a brushless motor of about that Kv you will be able to run the same prop at the same speed. Just offering options.

looking at the spec's of the motor/gearbox you linked I see a total weight of 40 grams. The motor looks like a brushless outrunner so even if the entire weight was motor, which it is not, you could expect about 120 watts input. So that 250 watts in the spec's is way outside of reality.

I am not sure about that 2212-09. I cannot find it. I find a 2212/10 but that has a Kv of around 1500. Too High. The 2212/15 has a Kv of 930 which is in the ballpark of what you need but the weight is quite a bit more at 51 grams. A 2208 is closer to the weight equivalent but the lowest Kv is 1100 and Dr. Kiwi's test show it to be actually 1280 so it is difficult to say if that would suit. On 2S it could use the props you have mentioned but not 3S. You haven't said what battery you are using.

http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/134

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/a-ser...-suppo-2208-17
Yes, In 2212 is necessary 13-14 turns fore around 1000 Kv.

With 9 turns is in one suppo 2217. Sorry
Aug 15, 2016, 06:47 PM
Greediest Suer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl
Manual, you could always go with the stock GWS gearbox/pinion.
Caliber Hobby carries them. And no I don't have any relations to them, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

http://www.caliberhobby.com/ps_lps.html

But like the other folks, a proper outrunner instead of an inrunner and gearbox, would be a better idea. But hey, to each their own.
Wrong motor I think, but what is wrong with using an improper outrunner in a gearbox?

Quick Reply