Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 14, 2016, 09:08 AM
Rookie Pilot
Discussion

New Pilot Looking for tips

I am new to the hobby and have only been flying a couple of months. I am already beginning to collect planes and look forward to advancing my abilities. The pictures are of my EFlite Apprentice S15, EFlite T28 1.2mm and my new EFlite Prometheus P2. I have yet to graduate to the T28 or the P2 as I don't feel quite comfortable yet. I am also seeking info about DX6I programing for the T28 and P2. What would be the best settings for a novice? D/R, Expo....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2016, 10:00 AM
Flyhard
Hard to give such hands on advice online🤔 U don't have anyone experienced around that can test fly them and set them up for you to get a decent chance with a smooth setup? My advice is to make sure the models are as light as possible with the CG super-correct. Then, set up a d/r with smaller deflections in case the default is too aggressive. Finally, make sure its mega-still air when you try. (even at altitude, not just the still, cold ground air in the evening (caused by the so called inversion), with a storm 10 metres up.) Turbolence can really mess up your day. Good luck!

Sent using Tapatalk
Aug 14, 2016, 11:35 AM
Finding a club would probably be a good move. Once I joined a club everything like that got a lot easier, people suggest settings to change that I didn't know about and I can even give let them fly the plane quick to set it up for me. You could always just slowly adjust the expo and see what you like best. But remember to check it first on the ground to make sure you haven't done anything that's going to make you crash.
And a random tip that I find useful : to check your ailerons are moving the right way, stand behind the plane with the plane pointed away from you and if you move the stick left the left aileron should come up. Likewise for the right. As flitetest put it the plane should high five your stick xD
Aug 14, 2016, 11:53 AM
B for Bruce
This is such a general question it's hard to write an answer that isn't as long as a book.

A lot of new fliers these days learn initially on a simulator. But I've yet to see a simulator that behaves like a real model when flying on either the fast or slow limits of the model's envelope. So my hint is to get your models up higher and learn what each reacts like the classic "3 mistakes high" before you try that same sort of flying down low. In particular learn how the models handle and react when flying very slowly. That way you are less likely to get bitten and crash during landing approaches. Each model will have some sort of behavior that you need to learn which will be radically different from the others. It's this "personality" at the limits that the simulators can't accurately copy.

Some of the hints you'd get at a club you can also get here. That's the beauty of helpful online forums like this. But we are out here and you're over there where we can't see the model and what you might be doing wrong. That's where Trisnpod's suggestion to join a club comes in. If you fly with a club you'll soon find a few folks there that know their stuff and can give you hints to correct your flying and aid in trimming the model to fly better. Stuff that we can't help you with over the interwebz. So I echo his idea to find and join a club. Besides, you can meet new friends that way that have the same interest.
Latest blog entry: Garden Gliders
Aug 14, 2016, 01:49 PM
Kamikaze Ace
Heck, give up now while you are ahead. It's called an addiction. Your hangar will grow and grow and your wallet will shrink and shrink. You'll spend countless night times drooling over a lap top, looking at the latest offerings. You'll spend drive times scouting out new flying spots.
You'll give up eating as it means more money to spend on the addiction. LOL!

Seriously, fly the Apprentice till you can feel comfortable flying it with the stabilization OFF.
Then move on. Unless like said you can find someone to help you.
Aug 14, 2016, 08:40 PM
I think it's time to fly.
The settings I use will not be the settings you will use.
Get a feel for what works where you are now then when you feel you can move on use similar settings on the next one and so on.
As you learn how each plane responds make your adjustments that work for you.

An example is that I use more expo than most of the flyers I fly with. Start with low throws but use the D/R with a high rate too. There's more but you will learn that as you grow.
Latest blog entry: All things that fly.
Aug 14, 2016, 08:48 PM
Closed Account
I agree with most fly your apprintence move up to expert and being able to take off a land without beginner mode as you get good and have not used the oh save me button in a long time your ready to move up. Your trainer is one of the best learning tools. The simulator move up to warm up after a while of not flying or just fun to try new things. It sounds like your doing well and are taking time doing it right. But it never hurts to have a good flyer helping in person.
Aug 15, 2016, 09:34 AM
Rookie Pilot
Thank you all for the advice. I have a few friends with planes but only one has any significant flight time. I am also good friends with the people at the closest hobby shop (25 miles away). I live in a VERY rural area and most of this area is forrested so finding an area to fly is hard. We fly at the local county airport and have received a lot of support from there. I have recently joined AMA and looking to start a flying club as well. I believe I will stick with the Apprentice a little longer and then move up to the the bipe or t28. I love this hobby and look forward to flying more and also getting to know people within it. And again I thank all of you for your help. I will keep posting pics and vids of our progress.
Aug 15, 2016, 07:00 PM
Keep practicing until you can fly the Apprentice confidently in expert mode using full rates, once you get there I think if you set up the other planes with settings for full rates and another that is perhaps 70% with 10-25% expo that's probably a good starting point. It's really a matter of personal preference though, some people like a real twitchy responsive plane, others want slow and easy. Some like a lot of expo, some don't like expo at all. My own preference is a small amount of expo on more responsive planes. I find if there's too much it creates a situation where just a little stick movement past a certain threshold quickly goes from not enough response to "oh crap!"
Aug 18, 2016, 05:23 PM
As said before, everyone has a different approach. As an instructor when I set up a new pilots plane after they have enough experience to "solo", on a Dx6i I set up a switch to have 60-70% d/r and 35-40% expo for hi rates and around 40 % d/r and 30% expo for low rates depending on the plane. Some new pilots take some time to get over swinging the sticks and this avoids getting into trouble with a new plane. For me I use 80% expo at 100% d/r for my flat foamies and only 20% or less expo for a Super Cub at full rates. Whatever works and feel right!
Aug 19, 2016, 09:47 PM
If you don't have an experienced flying buddy or instructor, I might suggest a bit of a different approach. Consider building a Bloody Wonder or Versawing out of DollarTree foamboard.... just follow the build videos put out by the guys at flitetest.com. and go out and do all your early crashing and crazy flying with what are essentially disposable airframe that cost max of 2 or 3 dollars to replace.

My Versawing has taken an incredible amount of abuse, and if it gets unrepairable I can just build a new one in an hour or two worth of time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Aug 21, 2016, 11:22 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtScott
I am new to the hobby and have only been flying a couple of months. I am already beginning to collect planes and look forward to advancing my abilities. The pictures are of my EFlite Apprentice S15, EFlite T28 1.2mm and my new EFlite Prometheus P2. I have yet to graduate to the T28 or the P2 as I don't feel quite comfortable yet. I am also seeking info about DX6I programing for the T28 and P2. What would be the best settings for a novice? D/R, Expo....

Biggest tip I can give you is to learn about basic aerodynamics and how planes fly.
Aug 21, 2016, 12:47 PM
Watch out for the ground.
Aug 22, 2016, 09:07 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S
Watch out for the ground.
And other dragons that live on the dangerous edges of the sky.
Aug 24, 2016, 01:12 PM
Rookie Pilot

Disaster Strikes

Well the Prometheus flew real well until I lost judgment of speed and stalled and nosed into the runway. HUGE lesson learned... I am going to stick to the Apprentice for a little while longer and log more hours on the simulator.

Quick Reply