Aug 13, 2016, 12:00 PM
aka KF7DS
Thread OP
Discussion

Zephyr II as first build?

I have both a Chrysalis and Oly II in the wings to be built, and originally I had planned on building the Oly II first as my very first balsa build.

However, the arthritis in my feet is making throwing a dlg a no go anymore so was looking for a non-electric substitute....i usually fly my dlg at local parks which can accommodate a sailplane up to 2m so am focused on the 1.5-2m size.

My modeling skills are ok, having built 5 dlgs and 3 Pulsars (one of which I am in midst of wing repair)

The euro 2m light weight RES class that is emerging is attractive, but the models look like they require more skill than i have and instructions are in German.

Hence my interest in the Zephyr II from Isthmus Models (smaller, seems straight forward being only R/E, can be hi started ...). But, is this too complex as first balsa build? Are plans fairly clear?

Thanks Don
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2016, 12:13 PM
Zephr II would be a good choice for a first build. I have a kit in the closet and just rolled out the plans and checked. Pretty straight forward build, the kit is nicely cut should go together pretty fast. I also have a Chrysalis kit and looked that over as well. Zephr would be an easier first build in my opinion. Now you got me moving the Zephr kit up in my build que...
Aug 13, 2016, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsinger1
I have both a Chrysalis and Oly II in the wings to be built, and originally I had planned on building the Oly II first as my very first balsa build.

However, the arthritis in my feet is making throwing a dlg a no go anymore so was looking for a non-electric substitute....i usually fly my dlg at local parks which can accommodate a sailplane up to 2m so am focused on the 1.5-2m size.

My modeling skills are ok, having built 5 dlgs and 3 Pulsars (one of which I am in midst of wing repair)

The euro 2m light weight RES class that is emerging is attractive, but the models look like they require more skill than i have and instructions are in German.

Hence my interest in the Zephyr II from Isthmus Models (smaller, seems straight forward being only R/E, can be hi started ...). But, is this too complex as first balsa build? Are plans fairly clear?

Thanks Don
The Zephyr II is a real nice little soaring machine.
The weight for pure (non-electric) can be 7.5 oz.
I used two HS-55 servos and a Berg 4 receiver.
It is a quality kit with an easy straight forward build with good plans.
For such a light wing, it is very strong. I covered mine in MicroLite to keep the weight down.

As for German planes, instructions should not be a big issue.
You can use Google translate to go from German to English. If you can get electronic instructions, then you can just copy and paste text sections into Google translate.
It looks like there are lots of very light weight German planes available.
Many use a carbon tube as a wing spar, which might mean an easier build. I just ordered an Introduction F5J from Germany.

Craig
Aug 13, 2016, 05:34 PM
aka KF7DS
Thread OP
Thanks for the encouragement and feedback. Going to order the Zephyr II....should be fun

Don
Aug 14, 2016, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsinger1
Thanks for the encouragement and feedback. Going to order the Zephyr II....should be fun

Don
Hey Don, if you haven't ordered I have an untouched kit I probably won't be building I can sell you.
Aug 14, 2016, 12:10 PM
B for Bruce
For after the Zephyr you should note that there's no issue with high start launching a model with ailerons. The only possible issue which is still a concern with RE models is that you give the model a decent push at the launch so they are flying correctly before they leave your hand. Otherwise the pull on the line can stall the wing and then bad things occur. But with a good firm push into a nose high release they'll continue on up the arc like they should with very little or no sideways excursions.

You can also use a micro high start to tow up your DLG models if you install a tow hook on their bellys. I had excellent results some years back with a 12 oz Tercel hand launch glider using a micro high start I made up. It uses a 12 foot loop of 1/4" flat rubber such as used for free flight rubber models hooked to 100 feet of super light 10lb test monofilament fishing line with a 4" square flag at the ring end and a large fishing line swivel at that end as the line end to go over the hook. This setup zips that weight of glider up and over the top in fine style. In fact it would easily work with lines up to 150 feet on the end of that same rubber with a clean and lighter model of around 8 to 10 oz. The line pull even at full tension is only around 5 lbs so the anchor for the hook doesn't need to be all that heavy duty. But don't let that 5 lbs fool you. With the 12 oz Tercel I've still got it runs up and over so quick that the line actually whistles. A lighter model would be even quicker. And the modest room needed for this sort of micro start means you can lay it out and fly it easily in a baseball field or a soccer pitch .

When on the ground the rubber and tow line is darn near invisible. So make the flag a bright colour and use a bright color longer blade screwdriver at the other end or a long spike with a length of really bright tape on it like a yard of surveyor's tape or similar so you can find them.
Aug 21, 2016, 07:32 PM
I am interested in your kit if he isn't. PM me
Aug 21, 2016, 08:26 PM
aka KF7DS
Thread OP
Brynmr.....thanks....I have the Oly II in hand so will build that first. Will wait until Mark has more in production. Also looking to try building one of the light F3B RES planes that is getting popular

Quick Reply