to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2016, 12:28 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacker
Couldn't you use a piece of wooded dowel and drill a hole down thru the center,

That would work or ?

whacker
I tried wood dowel many years ago. Didn't work as well for me as the tubing barb, YMMV. Also, if you chose them in a large enough dia. you don't even need a zip-tie. As I said they work similar to the old Chinese finger puzzel/cuffs...the harder you pull the tighter they grip.
Aug 30, 2016, 02:19 PM
Hi

what I've done is filed in a few grooves perpendicular to the tube, and then use some floss and a good knot with CA

whacker
Dec 01, 2016, 12:55 PM
Here is the full reply from HobbyKing when I asked why the blue bungee was sold only in the UK and not shippable to the US.

Scott

Ireza L., Nov 30, 14:21 HKT:Hi Scott,
Thank you for contacting HobbyKing!
We have checked that the RLT-8x5-10m is not available in our US warehouse due to high demands that are why it's only available in our UK warehouse. We usually restock our items every 30 days but there's no guarantee on this one as we'll have to depend on our supplier. You can also add the back order item in your wish list so once it returns to stock, you will be notified.
If you wish to have an immediate response, you may utilize our 24/7 Live chat service. We're more than happy to help you with your concerns and we do value your business with us. Have a great day!
Kind regards,
Ireza L.
HobbyKing Support Team
Dec 01, 2016, 02:55 PM
LJH
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Just an FYI, earlier this week I put up my RESoholic that is weighing in right around 465 grams for the first time. I used the HK Red rubber and it worked quite well. The field I fly it is not wide enough for a full length F3-RES set up so I went with 10M of rubber and 50M of .9MM braided dacron line. I did 5-6 launches in everything from 4-12kts of breeze and all was good. Here is a the video I took of the first launch, on this launch I went out about 30 paces (@75'). By the end of my session I was going out 40 paces (@100').

RESoholic F3-RES First Launch on a hi-start (2 min 31 sec)

Cheers,
Jim
Dec 29, 2016, 11:19 PM

Take this! Right AFter you finish your F3RES.

When was the last time any of you Americans used your high start or someone elses?:-)
Do you even have a workable high start?
How soon before you have an actual F3RES ship, not an old 2m thats been sitting in the rafters? :-)

Anyway, one of my clubmates has been using a TheraBand black for our club high start contests, which launch 2ms and 100" oldies. The 100" like the Paragon is very slow and low if there is no wind, but the Fling 2m pulls it to the moon in the same wind.

But if you guys are in the mood to buy something, take a look at the data he got from Slingshotforum.com.
Gordy

Using the “force elongation” chart, you can predict what the force will be at a specific percent elongation for Thera-Band colors. For example, if your 2 foot length of band was Red, then when you stretched it to 4 feet (100% elongation), you’d have about 3.9 pounds of force.
Both Thera-Band resistance tubing and bands are calibrated to offer the same resistance levels at the same percent elongation.

Tubes
Tan .062 ID x .031 wall
Yellow .200 ID x .045 wall
Red .200 ID x .057 wall
Green .200 ID x .069 wall
Blue .200 ID x .085 wall
Black .200 ID x .098 wall
Silver .200 ID x .125 wall

Quote:
I was looking at the relationship between thickness and the amount of traction force required for elongation. I expected to see a nice relationship with yellow at one extreme, gold at the other and the others lying proportionally along the curve.
That's not what I found.

Yellow: 967 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Red: 875 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Green: 960 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Blue: 1,108 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Black: 1,173 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Silver: 1,150 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Gold: 1,604 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
It raises the possibility that either the inputs are wrong or Thera-band are using different compounds for different colours.

Thera-band specs:
Gold; .025" thickness; 11.8 lbs at 100% elongation
Silver; .022" thickness; 8.6 lbs at 100% elongation
Black; .015" thickness; 4.9 lbs at 100% elongation
Blue; .012" thickness; 4.5 lbs at 100% elongation
Green; .010" thickness; 3.1 lbs at 100% elongation
Red; .008" thickness; 2.7 lbs at 100% elongation
Yellow; .006" thickness; 1.8 lbs at 100% elongation
Tan; .004" thickness; 1.1 lbs at 100% elongation
Sources (same):
http://www.yogadirect.com/yoga_thera_bands.html
http://www.yogaaccessories.com/150ft...ls_c_1045.html
Dec 29, 2016, 11:33 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Not south of 49 degrees, but I'll respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar
When was the last time any of you Americans used your high start or someone elses?:-)
Dec 3rd, last workable flying day for me.
Quote:
Yes, 1 2m-rated and another open class that just needs a chute
Quote:
How soon before you have an actual F3RES ship, not an old 2m thats been sitting in the rafters? :-)
finished mine about a month ago. Plus a couple 2m classics. Probably going to build a second F3-RES bird next year (and probably an electric RESolution to match my current string launched one)

Quote:
Anyway, one of my clubmates has been using a TheraBand black for our club high start contests, which launch 2ms and 100" oldies. The 100" like the Paragon is very slow and low if there is no wind, but the Fling 2m pulls it to the moon in the same wind.

But if you guys are in the mood to buy something, take a look at the data he got from Slingshotforum.com.
Gordy
Dec 30, 2016, 12:33 AM
used mine yesterday, 12/28/16 ... Gordy always make statements like that. sheesh.
Dec 30, 2016, 11:55 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar

Gordy

Using the “force elongation” chart, you can predict what the force will be at a specific percent elongation for Thera-Band colors. For example, if your 2 foot length of band was Red, then when you stretched it to 4 feet (100% elongation), you’d have about 3.9 pounds of force.
Both Thera-Band resistance tubing and bands are calibrated to offer the same resistance levels at the same percent elongation.

Tubes
Tan .062 ID x .031 wall
Yellow .200 ID x .045 wall
Red .200 ID x .057 wall
Green .200 ID x .069 wall
Blue .200 ID x .085 wall
Black .200 ID x .098 wall
Silver .200 ID x .125 wall

Quote:
I was looking at the relationship between thickness and the amount of traction force required for elongation. I expected to see a nice relationship with yellow at one extreme, gold at the other and the others lying proportionally along the curve.
That's not what I found.

Yellow: 967 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Red: 875 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Green: 960 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Blue: 1,108 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Black: 1,173 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Silver: 1,150 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Gold: 1,604 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
It raises the possibility that either the inputs are wrong or Thera-band are using different compounds for different colours.

Thera-band specs:
Gold; .025" thickness; 11.8 lbs at 100% elongation
Silver; .022" thickness; 8.6 lbs at 100% elongation
Black; .015" thickness; 4.9 lbs at 100% elongation
Blue; .012" thickness; 4.5 lbs at 100% elongation
Green; .010" thickness; 3.1 lbs at 100% elongation
Red; .008" thickness; 2.7 lbs at 100% elongation
Yellow; .006" thickness; 1.8 lbs at 100% elongation
Tan; .004" thickness; 1.1 lbs at 100% elongation
Sources (same):
http://www.yogadirect.com/yoga_thera_bands.html
http://www.yogaaccessories.com/150ft...ls_c_1045.html
If the tubes are made of the same material, there will be a fairly strong correlation between the CROSS SECTIONAL AREA and the respective elasticities of the respective tubes.

Happy Landings

Don
Jan 09, 2017, 07:52 AM
Why 50m for the short version, it is not proportional with the rubber length...
I am using 67 meters, because so say the rule of three, If I want to keep proportionality with rubber length.
Jan 12, 2017, 06:29 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Gordy,

To answer your question, I have two working high starts that I used last season. I don't use them in the winter. I don't use them often as I have a winch. But the do come out from time to time. But way too strong for this class.

I have no F3RES in the works but the class looks interesting.

Based on the charts posted by Gordy it looks like the green should be closest to the requirements.

Green should be about 7.9 pounds at 2X stretch. Is giving up around 10% off the max allowed going to be significant in this class?

Gordy, are you saying you tested some of the Therabands for this F3-RES class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharban
While it may not be entirely apparent, one of the important parameters in the German F3-RES rule is the design of the hi-start. The dimensions and properties of the launching system are actually important and controlling factors in the design of planes for the rule.

The rule calls for a 15 meter elastic element propelling a 100 meter inelastic element. The elastic element is to exert no more than 4 kg of force when extended by an additional 30 meters for a maximum distance of 145 meters between hi-start anchor and the launch spot.

In north America we have easy access to a number of hi-starts, none of which will precisely comply with this rule. All is not lost, however, as some choices may be employed which exactly emulate the "ideal" hi-start defined in the rule.

To exactly emulate the defined hi-start, it must have the same pulling force when stretched 30 meters AND it must deliver the same amount of energy (Kg-m) when its energy is transferred to the glider.

snip...

Happy Landing,

Don
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 12, 2017 at 06:52 PM.
Jan 12, 2017, 07:08 PM
I just got two 25 ft pieces of green Theraband any will be testing them this weekend if we don't get a bunch freezing rain. I think the green can be made to work with a small length change as Don Harban mentioned in an earlier post.
Jan 12, 2017, 11:43 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Do the rules allow the length change?
Jan 13, 2017, 12:22 AM
Ed are you asking rehtorically or are you actually building a F3RES and planning on a contest.
I am tracking F3RES development this season, I have an article in RCSD this month on the topic. History here, Europe and Turkey.
Gordy
PS, pretty sure the F3RES rules are posted in the early part of this thread.
Jan 13, 2017, 01:26 AM
supreme being of leisure
i've seen references to both 100m and 50m of line with the same rubber, i guess the CD decides what's going to be used depending on the field.

and IMO the amount of pull isn't as important as the need for all the hi-starts to be equal in pull, 4kg at x distance is just the stated maximum to fit in with the simple model construction. best practice would be for the contest host to supply the needed number of identical hi-starts just like the club supplied fuel in some pylon racing events. then it wouldn't matter if it's 10mm of rubber or 15m, 4kg or 3kg...whatever works. a box of hi-starts that gets shipped around to wherever needed would mean a minimal cost to a club that wants to host a contest.

Quick Reply