Aug 12, 2016, 01:55 PM

JCSF Big Top Events

Hey guys,

Again for 2016 the JCSF Big Top will be running cool contests as the NEAT Fair kicks into high gear later in the week. I think it's fair to say these events are entertaining for both pilots and spectators alike

Once again we'll be hosting two contests - one Wednesday afternoon and the other Thursday night:

> UMX Radian Games - Last year we introduced this contest using the small UMX Radians, which included pylon racing and a climb-and-glide contest. We'll be running this again on Wednesday afternoon, with a planned 3pm start time. Guys are welcome to stop by earlier in the day to register. While we are looking at the possibility of adding another contest into the event, the big change will be expanding the eligible aircraft to include Hobbico's micro Calypso. This will allow more pilots to participate in the fun!

> Vapor Games - I think everyone is familiar with this event, which is a blast for both pilots and spectators alike. We'll again be hosting this event Thursday night, with the plan to open registration at 5pm for a start of the actual contest at 8:00. While this is advertised as the Vapor Games, similar small, slow-flying planes are also welcome to join the fun. We'll continue to have our obstacle course and carrier landing events as in years' past (and maybe a surprise or two ).

Pilot prizes will be awarded by luck of the draw, which will keep the flying fun - you'll essentially be flying for the admiration of your fellow pilots and spectators. Hitec/Multiplex will again be sponsoring the Vapor Games, and I'm happy to announce that Luke's Hobbies will be supporting a pilot's raffle for the Radian Games.

In the meantime, if anyone has any questions feel free to reach out to me. And don't forget to stop by the Big Top anytime during NEAT Week - we'll be arriving Sunday 9/11 and our doors are always open!

Rob
Jersey Coast Sport Fliers

PS: Please see below for the schedule of events hosted by our merry little crew
Last edited by stangrob; Sep 06, 2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Attached schedule of events!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2016, 07:33 AM
It seems to be getting harder and harder to find Vapor and Vapor-type models. So, how's this as a challenge to the guys like RA Cores and Sawncraft: Produce a Vapor-equivalent that can replace Vapors.

They need to be:

1. Small enough to fly through the hoops at the games
2. Able to land on a carrier deck
3. Capable of surviving impact with tent wiring (and the occasional unwary spectator)

So, how about it?

CD
Aug 16, 2016, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
It seems to be getting harder and harder to find Vapor and Vapor-type models. So, how's this as a challenge to the guys like RA Cores and Sawncraft: Produce a Vapor-equivalent that can replace Vapors.

They need to be:

3. Capable of surviving impact with tent wiring (and the occasional unwary spectator)

So, how about it?

CD
Hmmmm... interesting proposal. As I've mentioned in the past this contest is not just for Vapors but also other small slow fliers that can navigate the tent. I'm looking forward to the responses

Rob
Aug 16, 2016, 08:56 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Has there been thought of FPV vapors? There may still be a number of those floating around from the blowout clearance they did last year.

I've got to sort through my pile, see which ones are airworthy.
Aug 16, 2016, 09:10 AM
The FPV Vapors should be fine to use - just not in FPV mode

Rob
Aug 16, 2016, 09:16 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
No imagination, if they fly them fpv make them stand up and have someone nearby to catch them as they stumble about.

Would probably make more sense to remove the fpv package, flying under a wire that antenna becomes a grappling hook.
Aug 16, 2016, 11:57 AM
AMA 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
... So, how's this as a challenge to the guys like RA Cores and Sawncraft: Produce a Vapor-equivalent that can replace Vapors.

They need to be:

So, how about it?

CD
I have already been planning to participate with one of my stock micro jet kits!

1. 12" WS (Vapor is 14.75")
2. They will go wherever you tell them to go.
3. Floors, walls, and fellow pilots all agree that they are plenty tough enough!

Since my kits use the Champ electronics they will be a bit faster in a straight line than the Vapors, but they high-alpha really well so the tent shouldn't pose too much of an issue.

Maybe I'll have time to get a milled kit cut for the event, but if that doesn't happen it will still be a blast!

Sawn Craft Micro F-4D Skyray - Flight Video (3 min 24 sec)
Aug 16, 2016, 12:00 PM
Cool! This can only add to the insanity! Prop jets in a tent - who would have thought!

Rob
Aug 16, 2016, 12:15 PM
EEK, what did i start!

Cool -- Micki's going to buy a video camera!

CD
Aug 16, 2016, 12:39 PM
I think most folks know that our good friends at SKS Video retired from the RC film business at the end of 2015 and will not be at NEAT This indeed is a sad turn of events, as I love their videos and have all of their NEAT videos back to 2003 (including the combo 2004/2005 copy).

So that we can have something to laugh at in the off-season I've asked CD and Micki to film the Vapor Games and they've thankfully agreed to help us out (per CD's message above). So luckily we will still have a historical record of the fun in the tent

Rob
Aug 16, 2016, 02:20 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
I thought one of the classic pros of the vapor games was that there was little to no proof afterwards.
Aug 16, 2016, 03:44 PM
Well, we have made the past few SKS NEAT videos so that's not totally true. But there's an awful lot that happens at the tent that isn't documented

Rob
Aug 16, 2016, 07:51 PM
MK
MK
You mean "What happens in the tent, stays in the tent"? We need t-shirts like that!
Aug 16, 2016, 08:08 PM
AMA 1242

Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
Hmmmm... interesting proposal. As I've mentioned in the past this contest is not just for Vapors but also other small slow fliers that can navigate the tent. I'm looking forward to the responses

Rob
Rob how about an IMUM from tower?
Aug 16, 2016, 08:57 PM
Kit Manufacturer
What about Mini Vapors? I have one of those collecting dust and cobwebs...
Latest blog entry: BluFO review by Jim T Graham