EagleEyes Newbie - RC Groups
Aug 12, 2016, 03:05 AM
Discussion

EagleEyes Newbie

Hi, I'm building a tricopter using the EagleTree systems with EagleEyes and have a few questions:

1) The manual says that data is transmitted to the EagleEyes . Exactly how is it transmitted? Is it included with the video transmission?
2) Is audio necessary?
3) Any problems using dual Eachine RC840 receivers for the diversity function (Immersion RC 600mw Tx w/GoPro)?
4) If flying with a MS Windows Surface connected does the EagleEyes use the power of the PC through the USB thus running the battery down quicker on the Surface? Hopefully the battery voltage is isolated from the USB circuit so it doesn't ruin my new Surface.
5) I'm planning on using dual 4S batteries to power the ground station and the antenna tracker...Should I use a 12 volt UBEC rather than run everything through the 16+ volts of the 4S batteries?
6) I installed everything in a ground station case. Is it still necessary to have access to the buttons if I'm leaving the Surface PC hooked up?

Thanks,
Jerry in NW Florida
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2016, 06:47 AM
FPV guru
1 - It's transmitted uniquely via the video feed in a hidden part of the transmission, suspect there is some form of binary hidden that can be picked out by the eagle eyes. Once your video quality gets crappy, expect the telemetry to die very quickly. I personally have the vector outputting via opentelemetry to my dragonlink receiver, which in turns sends it down to my dragon link and along to my mobile for the telemetry. Mostly as I go to ranges where the video does get poor.
2 - No but its helpful with the vectors spoken outputs.
3 - No issues there,I have an RC840 + RC832 combo for diversity works flawlessly.
4 - No, It will power it somewhat but it won't move the antenna tracker servos at least, but you will certainly be able to receive the telemetry onto the surface pro. USB doesn't provide enough amperage especially with larger sized servos. Couldn't tell you what it draws as haven't put a amp meter on it to have a look. Can't see it sucking any power provided it is properly plugged in.
5 - It supports a maximum of 14v, fully charged you're going to be at 16v on 4s and will sit there for quite a while as the current draw is low. Personally i'd pop on a UBEC. I can get 2 hours with my monitor switched on with a 1800mah 3s (which is pulling the weight of a 16 turn helical on the servos). If you throw a 5000mah at it, it will last you your flying day provided you aren't constantly in the air. Think perhaps unless you have one hell of a monitor, a pair in parallel is overkill - unless they are small on capacity then go right ahead!
6 - No if you're using the vector or the OSD pro, all configuration done via that. If not, then yes.
Last edited by evensis; Aug 12, 2016 at 07:12 AM.
Aug 13, 2016, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evensis
1 - It's transmitted uniquely via the video feed in a hidden part of the transmission, suspect there is some form of binary hidden that can be picked out by the eagle eyes. Once your video quality gets crappy, expect the telemetry to die very quickly. I personally have the vector outputting via opentelemetry to my dragonlink receiver, which in turns sends it down to my dragon link and along to my mobile for the telemetry. Mostly as I go to ranges where the video does get poor.
2 - No but its helpful with the vectors spoken outputs.
3 - No issues there,I have an RC840 + RC832 combo for diversity works flawlessly.
4 - No, It will power it somewhat but it won't move the antenna tracker servos at least, but you will certainly be able to receive the telemetry onto the surface pro. USB doesn't provide enough amperage especially with larger sized servos. Couldn't tell you what it draws as haven't put a amp meter on it to have a look. Can't see it sucking any power provided it is properly plugged in.
5 - It supports a maximum of 14v, fully charged you're going to be at 16v on 4s and will sit there for quite a while as the current draw is low. Personally i'd pop on a UBEC. I can get 2 hours with my monitor switched on with a 1800mah 3s (which is pulling the weight of a 16 turn helical on the servos). If you throw a 5000mah at it, it will last you your flying day provided you aren't constantly in the air. Think perhaps unless you have one hell of a monitor, a pair in parallel is overkill - unless they are small on capacity then go right ahead!
6 - No if you're using the vector or the OSD pro, all configuration done via that. If not, then yes.
Thanks for the clear answers to my questions. I'm using the dual 4S because I have them on hand and have no other use for them. I originally bought them for the tricopter (singularly or dually but they added too much weight and one of them got puffy because I ran it down too low and I don't trust it in the air. Since I have them in the case and its difficult to get everything back under the inner lid so they should last quite a while. I added a 12 volt UBEC as the 10" monitor may not have like the high voltage. I also got a 2 cell 5000mah for the antenna tracker servos. Probably overkill on both of the them but I shouldn't have to charge as often.

I'm about ready to fire it all up but I'm waiting on the Surface which should show the first of the week. The Vector fires up and locks on satellites but I'm not sure if I have it hooked up with the receiver correctly and I know I need to research how to set up the Taranis X9P radio properly. The Storm 32 gimbal is another mystery I must solve.

I'm an old coot with advancing senility and was used to the old radios which were 'point and shoot' on 72mhz. Then a few years ago I started back again with the Phantoms until I got fed up with DJI so I may sell them (two P2s and one P3).

Thanks again for your info, I'll probably be back with more questions before I get this thing in the air.

Jerry in NW Florida
Jan 31, 2018, 09:02 AM
Hello, is anyone monitoring this thread yet? I have a build that I'm using a Pixhawk controller but I have a groundstation with the EagleEyes and anntenna tracker. Are these compatable? Is there a way to get the tracking to work along with the Pixhawk?

Thanks for any help!
Feb 01, 2018, 07:06 AM
Why would the Pixhawk be compatible with the EagleEyes?
Feb 01, 2018, 10:28 AM
Hello,

No, as far as I know the Pixhawk has no way to replicate the telemetry requirement for the Eagle Eyes tracking feature. The Vector integrates the telemetry into the video stream.

Regards, John

Quick Reply