Aug 10, 2016, 05:12 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Eachine Tiny QX90 - Brushed Micro FPV Quad with F3 Board (review, work in progress)

More and more small FPV quads are being released. This QX90 seems very interesting, using an F3 flight controller, with rather big brushed motors. Let's have a closer look.

Disclaimer: I don't get paid, or in any other way make money with reviews like these. Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. There is always room for a general discussion on the reviewed item, feel free to comment, but if you are planning to add a long review instead of some summarizing remarks, it would be appreciated to put these in a new review topic. And please, no affiliate links!

For easy navigation, here's a list of contents:

1: Specifications (posting #1)
2: Unboxing (posting #1)
3: Transmitter Setup (posting #1)
4: Flying Performance (posting #1)
5: Preliminary Verdict (posting #1)
6: Suitable for a Beginner? (posting #1)
7: Camera & FPV Performance (posting #2)
8: Hints, Tips & Modifications (posting #2)
9: Suggestions for Improvements (posting #2)

1 - Specifications:

First, let's start with a link and a picture,

2 - Unboxing:

The quad comes in a clear box, which gives direct view of the contents, held in pre-shaped foam.

Besides the quad, you get 2(!) batteries, a special cable to charge the 2 batteries at the same time with a B3 or similar charger, that charges a 2S using the balance connector, a manual, 4 spare props, and one spare CW and one CCW motor. Also, you get a CF tool to help remove the props. Pretty complete package indeed.

The quad weighs 39.13 grams without battery. The batteries are around 15 grams, so AUW boils down to just under 55 grams.

The USB port is located at the back, allowing easy access:

The VTX frequency can be selected with dipswitches:

3 - Transmitter Setup:

To fly this ARF quadcopter, you need a transmitter than can do FrSky protocol. Good thing the manual includes a nice step by step instruction how to setup a Taranis X9D, with pictures further explaining each step. Default setting is to arm with channel 5, but personally I prefer to stick to "hold throttle stick to bottom right for a few seconds" method. So in CleanFlight configurator, I removed the Arm setting on the flight modes tab, and used the 3 position switch C to select different flight modes.

The default minimum throttle setting is 1150, which is very high. On the F210 Grasshopper, this was the main cause it was hard to get down, as it has so much thrust. On the QX90, there is less thrust, but still it will make landings and dives easier if you have more throttle control at lower RPM. Using the motor controls in CleanFlight, it's easy to determine at what throttle setting the motors will rotate reliably. On mine that was just around 1022 or so. I adjusted minimum throttle from 1150 to 1055, still good safety margin, but landings are much easier with lower minimum motor rpm.

4 - Flying Performance:

First flight was in breezy conditions, but despite it's small size, the Tiny QX90 flew nicely. Agile enough, power to fly into the wind, and very stable for it's size. As a video tells more than words, here's footage from the first outdoor flight:

First testflight with the Eachine QX90 small brushed FPV quadcopter (1 min 44 sec)

5 - Preliminary Verdict:

The QX90 is a nicely performing quad, both LoS and FPV. It could use a little more power, or less weight, for better recovery after a roll and more speed. But even in stock form, it can be a lot of fun.

Pros:

- Extra battery
- Charging cable to charge both batteries as single 2S battery
- CF frame
- Programmable Flight Controller

Cons:

- Camera angled a little downwards
- FPV antenna gets bent in retail packaging

6 - Suitable for a beginner?

The step by step manual, explaining how to bind the QX90 to the Taranis transmitter, will certainly help. The QX90 is stable, and handles well. Still it's a bit too fragile for a beginner quad, but as step up between toy grade brushed, and brushless, this might be a perfect way to learn about configuring programmable flight controllers.

Useful Links

This detailed review contains some nice flying vids, recommended to have a look at:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2705040

(to be continued)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 06, 2016 at 03:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2016, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
7 - Camera & FPV Perfomance:

The camera is held with a rubber band. It's angled downward slightly, so when flying forward with some pitch, you will be seeing quite a bit of ground, and less horizon. Also, with this angle, it picks up the light from the flight control board leds, which cause some glare in the image. So one of the first mods, will probably be to change this camera angle.

Update 6 december 2016:

After adjusting the camera angle (see the chapter below "Hints, Tips & Modifications"), this small brushed FPV quad has become one of my favorite FPV flyers. The image quality is good, and the FPV range is very acceptable too. This video doesn't fully show the FPV performance, probably the DVR wasn't put down on the best spot for good reception,

FPV flying with the Eachine QX90 brushed small quadcopter (3 min 2 sec)

8 - Hints, Tips & Modifications:

Better Camera Angle

As mentioned earlier, the camera was angled somewhat downwards, which isn't very convenient for FPV flying. Using a small piece of plastic, the camera got a better angle:

9 – Suggestions for Improvements:
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 06, 2016 at 03:31 PM.
Aug 11, 2016, 01:25 AM
Thread OP
Added some pictures and content to unboxing chapter
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Aug 11, 2016, 05:52 PM
I thought you didn't have a Taranis...
Aug 11, 2016, 06:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneRequired View Post
I thought you didn't have a Taranis...

That's correct, I tried to get one here at the same time this quad would arrive, but so far no luck. So I still need to get one, or replace the receiver with a Nano FlySky, or modify a Devo 7E. Meanwhile made screenshots of the stock CleanFlight settings, as well as CLI dump, all added to second posting in this thread
Aug 11, 2016, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
That's correct, I tried to get one here at the same time this quad would arrive, but so far no luck. So I still need to get one, or replace the receiver with a Nano FlySky, or modify a Devo 7E. Meanwhile made screenshots of the stock CleanFlight settings, as well as CLI dump, all added to second posting in this thread
Oh, ok. Well good luck, I can't wait to see flight videos.
Aug 13, 2016, 09:33 AM
I void warranties
Quote:
or modify a Devo 7E.
CC2500 modules are on sale at Banggod for $5.99 right now (over half off)! I just bought 3 (for a couple bucks over the price of a single one usually) to upgrade my kids and my wife's 7E (and to have a spare, my D10 already has a 4-in-1 plus I have a X9E).

Often when prices are slashed so much BG is going to stop stocking the item once it's gone so you may want to pickup one or more now...
Sep 08, 2016, 05:39 PM
Suspended Account
only $49.99
Check to order now!!
http://www.banggood.com/Tiny-QX90-90mm-Micro-FPV-Racing-Quadcopter-BNF-Based-On-F3-Flight-Controller-FrSKY-Taranis-X9D-p-1069614.html
Last edited by BG Well; Oct 06, 2016 at 01:16 AM.
Oct 27, 2016, 05:14 AM
Thread OP
So, cough, cough, it's been while since I visited this topic...

Illness got in the way, but also didn't have anything FrSky compatible to bind to the QX90. Now this has changed, hooked it up to a Taranis X9D Plus and made a short test flight. This thing handles really nice, smooth, responsive. Batteries were at storage charge still, and a bit cold. Will get these "back in shape", adjust the FPV channel to my goggles, and maybe fly some more today.
Oct 27, 2016, 05:32 AM
Drone Collector
Nice one on the Taranis exploration/Review H!.

Glad you are feeling better.
Oct 27, 2016, 11:49 AM
Thread OP
Added flight video
Oct 30, 2016, 02:48 AM
Thread OP
Did some FPV flying today, the tiny AIO camera does really well when it comes to range.
Nov 26, 2016, 12:15 PM
astroX, Warpquad,Geprc,Diatone
I just got one from banggood that I ordered with no rx....I can use a dsmx satellite on this like I do with full size fc's correct? It doesn't have to be a full dsm rx hopefully?

Also, is this one of those fc's that have to have the boot pads jumped to update the firmware?

And finally, can someone post a link for suggested starting settings for betaflight 3.0.1? Not sure about settings for a tiny brushed quad liek this.

Thanks!.
Nov 26, 2016, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
Also, is this one of those fc's that have to have the boot pads jumped to update the firmware?

On the QX95 no boot pads needed to be shorted to alter firmware.
Nov 26, 2016, 03:15 PM
astroX, Warpquad,Geprc,Diatone
Quote:
On the QX95 no boot pads needed to be shorted to alter firmware.
Thx!, yep ,as you said, firmware update was easy. Found a video where a guy showed flashing betaflight and the settings he was using in betaflight on a qx90 so that got me in the ballpark on the first flight.

I put a dsmx lemon sat on it and thats working great, Also put a beeper on it so I know when my pack is getting low with vbatt....something I miss on my tinywhoop.

The fpv pod that comes with it works but the cam is pretty bad compared to what I'm used to with my newbeedrone stinger pod cam on my tinywhoop so I may have to pick up a second one sometime for this. It's definitely a lot more power than my tiny whoop, I can actually flip and descend pretty fast without it getting the wobbles from lack of thrust.

Very pleased overall

I have a bunch of old walkera ladybug props too so I may give those a try at some point and see how much faster they drain the battery.

Quick Reply