Newbie - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 10, 2016, 01:11 PM
Question

Hi, I'm new to this forum but been flying RC for over 16 yrs. I'm interested in learning to fly control line & looking for the best plane to start with & were to buy kits.

Thanks, Blake
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2016, 03:28 PM
There's a bunch of guys flying in the Huntersville area. Is that anywhere near you? If you can hook up with a 'veteran' you will get good advice and a chance to see a working airplane. Some guys will even let you try their 'beater' that they keep around for just that purpose.
Last edited by JMynes; Aug 10, 2016 at 03:46 PM.
Aug 10, 2016, 06:22 PM
I'm in Wilson NC. That's just east of 95. Where abouts in NC are you? As far as kits go, check out Brokak Mfg. They have kits from 1/2a on up. I'm allways looking for some one to fly C/L with....Gene
Aug 10, 2016, 08:06 PM
Hi, I'm from Ayden, NC & would like to see someone fly a CL. I seen a few guys fly them at Joe Noll this year & they were really good. I've always liked CL airplanes but never been around anyone that has flown any.

Thanks
Aug 11, 2016, 03:19 AM
Just completed this "Flying Clown" with electric conversion. It's a Brodak kit. It's also my first CL plane in many, MANY years. Has yet to be flown (I literally just finished it).

My RC stuff will have to sit until the club can locate a new flying site. We're losing ours, and the search for a new site hasn't been going well so far. I can fly CL at the local ball field.
Aug 11, 2016, 05:35 AM
Blake, PM sent......Gene
Aug 11, 2016, 05:39 PM
Stayquite , where are you from? The clown looks pretty cool & I like the idea of electric power but I have a couple of Cox 049 engines I was planning to use.
Aug 11, 2016, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter05
Stayquite , where are you from? The clown looks pretty cool & I like the idea of electric power but I have a couple of Cox 049 engines I was planning to use.
Boiling Springs SC - just north of Spartanburg.

I've been flying electric RC for some time now, so the decision to go electric CL was a no-brainer. Plus, electric is quiet, and won't disturb anyone living near the park. The timer replaces the Rx, and I can set the power level and run time with it.

Last time I bought a brand-new Cox 1/2A, I think it cost me around $5.
Aug 11, 2016, 08:16 PM
With the electric CL do you still have a helper to launch it?
Aug 11, 2016, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Yes, for the sake of safety. Electric power is clean, quiet, and reliable, but any component in your system can fail. If your motor spools up unexpectedly people can get hurt. Always have your airplane restrained if the battery is plugged in, whether by your helper or a stooge.
Aug 11, 2016, 11:49 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
Check out shugemery's youtube channel. He went from noob to excellent over a couple of years.
https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

One other thing - I have picked up a couple of hauls from craigslist of CL planes that have given up the sport. I've done pretty well with the assortment. I'll take a pic of my stack of 1/2A CL planes I have accumulated along with .35 size airplanes - quite a grouping with good engines. Going craigslist used stuff while building your own in non-flying hours saves time and gets you flying. Of course what I just said has to do with fuel engines. You'd have to convert to electric of course, and I'll take those old smelly noisy slobbering engines off your hands - I won't even charge you(!)
Aug 12, 2016, 04:22 AM
Quote:
I use a simple radio system to control the motor and have often flown on my own. Of course that depends on having a model that can ROG. Doing it like this also has the advantage that you can just switch the motor off and land if you get dizzy or some idiot walks into the circle. You're not stuck waiting for the fuel to run out .

We regularly put fully primed RC models down on the strip and walk away to the pilots box to take off. I can't see that doing similar with a CL model is much more dangerous.

I wouldn't do it with one that just had a timer to control the motor though.

Steve
Aug 12, 2016, 07:09 AM
The timer gives me 15 seconds from the time I hit the START button to power up to walk to the handle. But, I still have a stooge, just in case.
Aug 12, 2016, 07:53 AM
I've tried Craigslist for my area but came up with nothing. Most I find on eBay are 'vintage' kits & some can get pricey. I would like to find a 049 or similar ready to fly.
Aug 12, 2016, 11:07 AM
Pat Chewning
I recommend one of the profile "35" engine size planes, and power it with an OS 25 (LA or FP). That engine is easy to start and to get to run right on a 10X4 APC sport prop and it will give you lots of quality flying time. So that would be Ringmaster, Flight Streak, etc .....

I find the 1/2 A engines too finicky to run, and the quality of the flight (fast, short, quick controls) makes it less suitable for a beginner.