Eachine racer 180 with tilting arms (In early construction) - Page 45 - RC Groups
Aug 19, 2017, 12:33 AM
This will be the last Eachine I buy TBH, going to build from scratch now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2017, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopznz
This will be the last Eachine I buy TBH, going to build from scratch now
I think you paid full price at a LHS if I recall from the thread earlier.

I can sympathize with your position.

Meanwhile, the Eachine Chaser88, which is supposed to be a pig of a quad, can be bought for $85 at the moment, and another $10 for the receiver, and you have a sub-100g monster that just needs a little tuning. ( Tuning is also faulty, due to buggy betaflight ).

But... It's so nice I am seriously thinking about getting another, and it comes in the exempt category for CASA rules.

David.
Aug 19, 2017, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7hawk
I think you paid full price at a LHS if I recall from the thread earlier.

I can sympathize with your position.

Meanwhile, the Eachine Chaser88, which is supposed to be a pig of a quad, can be bought for $85 at the moment, and another $10 for the receiver, and you have a sub-100g monster that just needs a little tuning. ( Tuning is also faulty, due to buggy betaflight ).

But... It's so nice I am seriously thinking about getting another, and it comes in the exempt category for CASA rules.

David.
Yeah you are correct , interesting conversation with Said Hobby shop when I inquired about parts.............. "we are waiting on an order" well I am guessing they might hear a bit more from me yet as they as an importer have to supply parts.

If I have some brains and had purchased from Bangood as I normally do it would have not been a big deal

I am steering clear of "pre built" stuff now and will build from scratch
Aug 19, 2017, 10:21 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Quote:
..., an ability to make your own parts and modify the quad is a necessity.
I agree. I own a Taig 4-Axis CNC, a MakerBot Replicator Dual 3D printer, a Form1+ 3D printer and a Form2 3D printer. Being able to make your own parts is key, whether you buy off-the-shelf and modify or design your own. I've made all sorts of parts, from a scale dummy radial engine for a PT-17 to a "unibody" (all one part) frame for a EDF powered 80mm quad.

For most of the parts of the 180, you can find replacement parts that will work fine. The electronics are no problem, there is nothing special about the FC or ESCs. The motor arms are just CF tube you can buy by the Meter/Yard. The motor mounts aren't all that special either, there are plenty of motor mounts for the end of a CF tube since CF tube frames are still a "thing". Motors, props, not special either. Servo not special. The only parts you'd be hard pressed to find substitutes for are the body/frame plates. Break those and you're probably "done" unless you've got a CNC to cut your own replacements from CF sheet...
Aug 20, 2017, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopznz
Yeah you are correct , interesting conversation with Said Hobby shop when I inquired about parts.............. "we are waiting on an order" well I am guessing they might hear a bit more from me yet as they as an importer have to supply parts.

If I have some brains and had purchased from Bangood as I normally do it would have not been a big deal

I am steering clear of "pre built" stuff now and will build from scratch
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. They have to provide spares for the full reasonable warranty period or refund/replace don't they? And in a reasonable time, and at a reasonable cost..

It's times like these you must be glad of our half-decent consumer laws
Aug 20, 2017, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. They have to provide spares for the full reasonable warranty period or refund/replace don't they? And in a reasonable time, and at a reasonable cost..

It's times like these you must be glad of our half-decent consumer laws
Yep well Shop on your doorstep will be finding out how stubborn I am , "Hobby Tech"
Aug 21, 2017, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
For most of the parts of the 180, you can find replacement parts that will work fine. The electronics are no problem, there is nothing special about the FC or ESCs. The motor arms are just CF tube you can buy by the Meter/Yard. The motor mounts aren't all that special either, there are plenty of motor mounts for the end of a CF tube since CF tube frames are still a "thing". Motors, props, not special either. Servo not special. The only parts you'd be hard pressed to find substitutes for are the body/frame plates. Break those and you're probably "done" unless you've got a CNC to cut your own replacements from CF sheet...
I find the hardest part to replace are the aluminum parts that hold the tube and the tilt control. Everything else I replaced no problem. And I do mean EVERYTHING (not the FC and the ESC thought (yet )).
Aug 21, 2017, 10:12 PM
You mean the things that clamp around the tube to keep it from moving laterally, and also that provide the crank arm for the servo linkage? I'm impressed. I don't see how you could break those and have anything left worth repairing!
Aug 22, 2017, 07:20 AM
LOL, I didn't break those nor did I replacethem but I did break/replace the other parts. What I meant was that those parts I can't replicate nor find a source to purchase. ALL carbon fiber parts I did as well as the motors and the servo.
Aug 23, 2017, 01:14 AM
I know I've seen those things (I will call them "Doolygongers") someplace.

Maybe for a heli. They go around the tail boom and they have two CF rods attached to them (the other end of each rod goes to the frame, and they help to help keep the tail boom located under flight loads). The rods attach to the doolygonger with a screw, which could just as easily be replaced with the ball for a ball link...

There are also similar things for Quads. They clamp to a CF rod and have threaded holes to attach things to them.
Sep 06, 2017, 02:02 PM

Eachine Racer 180 Tilt Rotor motor mount

Eachine Racer 180 Tilt Rotor motor mount

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2520710

Print at 100% Fill
A non-brittle PLA will do fine
Will be about 2.9 grams
Sep 14, 2017, 04:54 AM
500+ flights in and still loving it. 1300 45C Graphenes excellent. Not had to use any parts from my second Tilt 180. Hitec servo going strong. Flies really well in any wind up to 30mph! More challenging in a storm...
Sep 16, 2017, 01:08 AM
I finally got around to flying mine outside where I could really open up the throttle. Only flown indoors up to now. I have to say I really liked it. Flew great, no problems, and it doesn't fly like anything else I own. I especially like that it behaves more like an airplane than a quad. I still have tilt on a slider instead of a switch. I was going to move it to a switch based on my indoor experience, but now I don't think so. Being able to adjust pitch in small increments in flight worked great.