Twisted Hobbys - Fokker Dr.1 - 3D EPP Triplane - RC Groups
Aug 09, 2016, 11:20 PM
Team Twisted!
Discussion

Twisted Hobbys - Fokker Dr.1 - 3D EPP Triplane

Twisted Hobbys - Crack Fokker
Product Description

We're breaking all the rules again with the Crack Fokker! Twisted Hobbys has taken the feel and concept of WWI flying machines and daredevil pilots to fantastic new places. Envisioned in the demented mind of Twisted addict Steve Marble, designed and drawn by Cody Wojcik, and realized by RC Factory, the Crack Fokker combines 3D flying, WWI dogfighting, a huge speed range, and silly aerobatics for more fun than you can imagine.

With a whole new set of flight characteristics the Crack Fokker is like no other model we have. Loops are beyond tight and roll rate is extremely axial and quick for the amount of wing area. That huge wing area means that speeds range from surprisingly brisk to so slow it looks like a camera trick. The fun doesn’t stop there...with dual aileron servos you can even add mixing for multiple flap settings for tail-high slow speed passes and and even tighter loops than any other model. The Crack Fokker is pure flying fun in a way that nobody has experienced before.

Paint and art work was inspired by one of the classic schemes, keeping true to the Fokker's roots. Like all Twisted Hobbys models quality is superior and building is a pleasure with the latest hardware that eliminates excess weight while removing any unwanted play from all the control surface connections.

Twisted Hobbys as always has spent time selecting the correctly matched electronics for the Crack Fokker, available as a convenient power combo. Recommended stock setup is 2s 600-800mah w/ 9x4.7 or 3s 450-600mah w/ 8x4DD for advanced pilots. Enjoy the look of a classic Fokker Dr.1 with flight characteristics you have only dreamed of!
Model Spec’s:

Wing Span = 35”
Length = 34”
AUW = 8.8 oz.

Recommended Required Electronics:

24-26g 1400-1500kv Out Runner Brush-less Motor
10-20A ESC
(4) 7-9g Servos
2s 600mah Lipo Battery
9x4.7 Slow Fly Prop

For Sale now on the Twisted Hobbys' Website!

Crack Fokker Product Link

Use the link above for access videos, manual, additional model specs and of course to purchase
Last edited by cdee; Oct 01, 2016 at 02:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2016, 11:21 PM
Team Twisted!
Twisted Hobbys' does it again - Meet the Crack Fokker Dr.1

Please note - initial kits by the team members were built without instructions... yea, that's right... lol... in any case just wanted to let you all know that, so when you see something a little different about yours, that is okay... I went thru the TH manual after it was released and it is all there for a successful build.... Enjoy..!

First Impressions:
When I seen the box on my door step it was bigger than expected for a 35" model. Once inside the house and having a chance to bust into the package it was obvious why... lots of parts... of course three wings, that is just crazy. In the end though a pretty easy build.
The Build:
Other than there being more wings and some fancy landing gear, this builds just like any other Twisted Hobbys foamie. A couple points of interest would be;
1.) I used FoamTac for the first time... nice alternative to Welders. FoamTac pretty much every where except on the carbon to foam joints where I used either thin or med. CA depending on the situation.
2.) pay special attention to how the vertical wing struts assemble
3.) take you time with the landing gear. You will need to enlarge the slots a little in the bottom wing, and then trim the ends where the axle attaches to match. Get everything squared up before hitting it with the glue... seems spindly and first, but quite robust in the end.
4.) when locating electronics try and put everything as far forward as possible.
5.) cloth scarf is of course something I added. Just trim away the foam one, clear the foam around the pilot's neck and attach a strip of cloth, really looks great in the air.
Radio Setup:
This is a two servo wing, so pick that option in your radio. With the servo horns shown in the manual you should be around 100 to 120 percent on the servo setup. Also, program in the flaps. Put them on a switch and mix them with elevator, you will be glad you did.. way too much fun to loop this machine in the space of it's own airframe.
Flying the Crack Fokker:
With the landing gear you can take off from a variety of surfaces, but if needed launching like any other 3D foamie is super easy, hold it in your hand pointing up about 45 degrees, add throttle and it will fly right out of your hands.
If you have the CG right, approx 50mm from LE of top wing, you should have pretty neutral flight upright or inverted. KE will require a little elevator, but virtually no rudder to hold altitude.. lol..! Don't be afraid to try you most extreme 3D stunt with it... you will be surprised.If you are however just a sunday sport flier, it putts around the park with unbelievable presences and you will get a ton of attention.
Initial reports on 2s batteries and 3s batteries are equally favorable. If you have the option, try them both. Just be sure and size your props accordingly, 2s takes 9in props and 3s you need to use 8in props.
In Summary;
This is a great looking model. I built mine in three evenings, it may take a little more or less depending on your skill level, but there is nothing hard about it. Follow the directions, if something doesn't make sense look it over closer before adding the glue.

The battery will end up pretty far forward, almost directly behind the firewall. Using a 600 to 850 mAh size battery has been the battery of choice for the Team Members, and you will be able to back that off a little, airframe handles the weight just fine and you will get some nice flight times.
Of Additional Interest:
Military Wiki Link for Fokker Dr.1

Enjoy the model... looking forward to see posts and comments from everyone else that takes the plunge into adding a 3D WWI Crack Fokker to their hanger.
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Aug 11, 2016 at 07:05 AM.
Aug 09, 2016, 11:25 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Hello friends

Totally Twisted Fokker (3 min 49 sec)
Last edited by ROLLING CIRCLE; Aug 11, 2016 at 12:48 AM.
Aug 09, 2016, 11:29 PM
TEAM TWISTED!
TwistedHobbys Crack Fokker Dr-1 (3 min 5 sec)
Last edited by Ethan Ater; Aug 27, 2016 at 10:49 PM.
Aug 09, 2016, 11:33 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Let's post up a few pics of the new birds boys
Aug 09, 2016, 11:48 PM
TEAM TWISTED!
I'll post what I said about the Fokker on the TH owners thread:

Words can't describe how awesome this Fokker is! Been putting packs through it like crazy! I am getting a solid 6 minutes of hard 3D with a 3s 800mah. Want to give 2s a try. Once the weather is sunny here in Kentucky I can get out to the field and get a video up for you guys.
Aug 10, 2016, 07:08 AM
Team Twisted!
I posted this video in the Twisted owners thread a few days ago. This is such a fun plane to fly! It's relaxing yet fully aerobatic in every move. The tightest loops to the slowest landings. I think so you will see people taking off on card tables and then landing back on them. No problems to fly in gyms with this plane. Well Designed by Cody!

Twisted Hobbys Crack Fokker Airplane (2 min 1 sec)
Last edited by Benton3dflying; Aug 10, 2016 at 07:19 AM.
Aug 10, 2016, 08:45 AM
TEAM TWISTED!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton3dflying
I posted this video in the Twisted owners thread a few days ago. This is such a fun plane to fly! It's relaxing yet fully aerobatic in every move. The tightest loops to the slowest landings. I think so you will see people taking off on card tables and then landing back on them. No problems to fly in gyms with this plane. Well Designed by Cody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovoup-_zWmg
Great flying Benton! Loved the video
Aug 10, 2016, 01:28 PM
Thanks Chris for adding a thread for this wonderful addition to our line-up. We'll let Cody express his Crack Fokker model as well as the history behind the reasoning for the project. Looking forward in hearing everyone's reaction once they get their hands behind the sticks. Its something we have been working hard on creating for awhile now and glad we can share it with you guys. Pre-order deliveries will start happening today. Enjoy!

Brad
Twisted Hobbys
Aug 10, 2016, 01:37 PM
Couldn't take it had to order one....so the crack addiction continues
Aug 10, 2016, 01:44 PM
Team Twisted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKWEE
Couldn't take it had to order one....so the crack addiction continues
Couldn't take it...
lol... good way to put it... at least this way you will not have to wonder whether you should have....
cdee
Aug 10, 2016, 04:19 PM
Akron, Ohio, USA
I'm in, orderd mine yesterday. My Crack fokker is shipped. I can't wait to build & fly this fokker.
Aug 10, 2016, 04:21 PM
Team Twisted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad Junkie
I'm in, orderd mine yesterday. My Crack fokker is shipped. I can't wait to build & fly this fokker.
Very cool... lots of them shipping out... if it had just one more wing it would match your name... lol..
cdee
Aug 10, 2016, 08:39 PM
Where there's a will there's a way.
Aug 10, 2016, 11:01 PM
Team Twisted!
I notice the Fokker power combo comes with the latest speed control by twisted. The Psyche Lite Series Digital 20A control. The throttle response is great and so is the power with this new controller. One thing that I learned from the twisted website video is to have the throttle at the high position to set the throttle correct the first time. I had fun tonight hovering the Fokker to blow the driveway off after my Dad mowed.
BTW I like your scarf Cdee.
Last edited by Benton3dflying; Aug 11, 2016 at 09:04 AM.